Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite issue

Jeffoz
Apprentice

Orbi Satellite issue

Hi,
I just installed my Orbi AX. Setup is as following.

- Fiber router/modem from provider in the power closet/shelf downstairs. DHCP on here so serves as router. Not easy to disable router function here.
- Orbi Router downstairs connected from LAN from cable router to WAN in Orbi Router. Set in AP mode as I just need to wifi. DHCP disabled here.
- Orbi Satellite connected upstairs from LAN to a LAN of the cable router as I can't make a wired connection to the Orbi router from here.

So in this setup in the Netgear menu the Satellite is not seen as satellite but just one of the devices like any other. In principle fine but it doesn't send out the wifi signal like that. When I stand next to it signal comes from downstairs. When I try to pair it will not work, constantly fails without proper reason.

When I disconnect the wires and pair it wireless it works fine but because of the isolation here it's a poor backhaul and loses connection every now and then.

Anyone able to help from Netgear? As it's a bit pointless if my Satellite is not seen as such and not sending out the same SSID wifi signal as downstairs...
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite issue

Yes. The RBR needs direct connnection to the RBR and not thru a different router. You can have LAN switches in between the RBR and RBS, however it can't be a different router. Even in AP mode, the RBS needs to be directly connected to the RBR. 

I noticed this as well after connecting up my system in AP mode with a XR450. I had the RBS connected to the back of the XR router and the RBR also connected. The RBS would not sync correctly until I moved the LAN cable from the XR router to behind the RBR. Then the RBS came to ready correctly. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19

All Replies
Jeffoz
Apprentice

So basically what I wanted is use both the router and satellite as wired AP's. Then later use the wireless backhaul for the 3rd floor as I have to cabling there, for a 2nd satellite.

But right now because the Satellite when you connect it wired it will not be seen as such by the software it's a bit of a pointless device. Like any other device, tv, DVD player or whatever. It just can't pair when wired. Straight when I take the wires off it pairs fine.

This must be the software, there is also no way to login to the Satellite and set it as wired AP or something?
Message 2 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

Have you disabled the wireless in the original (non-netgear) router?

Message 3 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Yes I did. Both radios off and disabled the SSID so it's just the Wireless of the Orbi.

I'm just thinking a bit when I did disable that all, I believe earlier in the process than that I started to pair the router/satellite while connected over wires.
Message 4 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

So as it sits right now... if you connect the Router to the Satellite using an ethernet cable (with no switches in between the two), can you show the same screen shot?

Can you also describe the ethernet cable you use to connect the two?  Is it a straight shot, does it go through any switches?  Did you manufacture the cable?  How long is it?

Message 5 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Hi Chuck,

Let me do that tomorrow. I will cable up the Satellite to the router directly. I think it will work as it's a direct line in that case. But good to see if there is any influence of other things on the road.

Now it's basically connected to the cable/modem router. But without switches, I did remove all of those earlier as the Orbi provides enough ports.

It's all straight cables but the thing is that between the Satellite but also the Orbi Router, before they go to the cable router, they are going to a small box in the power closet with 7 ports which end up in wall slots in every room. I don't think this does anything else then just letting the connection through, don't think it will operate as a switch to be honest, or does it? they're just wall outlets with 2 RJ-45 going to a connector box with like 7 RJ-45 before going to the cable router itself. But inside the PVC towards this are regular straight CAT 6 cables my builder provided and installed as it's a newly build house. So technically it's cable on cable, not one straight cable from router to router.

Picture added. The cables in there go to the cable modem/router but from inside the box of course there is different cabling going all the way through the house to all different wall outlets. This was placed and installed by the builder, so technically it's 3 different cables before it reaches either Orbi router of satellite
Message 6 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

I dont know if you have a cable tester... but it also may be useful to ensure that those cables inside the walls are wired and terminated properly.   This should not be as complicated as it seems to have been.

Message 7 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Yea I can get one from work as the ones in the wall I'm not sure about as the builder placed them. But I can easily test with the Satellite without as there are 2 coming out of the wall there. But in the end the router finds the Satellite as connected device, and has an IP as well. Just not found or paired as the Satellite, but I will try a few more things in that case. Some good advice you gave me I forgot or didn't try yet.

But rest of the cables are all bought, not fabricated myself and I tried also multiple ones, so that's for sure not it. Also the amount of meters is not that much. 10 max and it's all either Cat 5E or Cat 6.

Will try first to connect it directly tomorrow as that's the best to see what it does I think. But as it's Christmas eve and lots of family coming I might also pull it a few days later before I break it all again..

Thanks for the help so far and will let you know updates after I tried more 🙂
Message 8 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

You know, you can always temporarily put the satellite in the same room as the router and connect it with an ethernet cable to see how it behaves and to see if it connects properly.

If you do this, be sure to reboot the entire system and let it settle down before reacting to what the app says.

BTW, are you using a web gui to access it or a cell phone app?

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS directly wire connected to the back of the RBR? 

FYI about ISP modem/router combo units:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Jeffoz wrote:
Yea I can get one from work as the ones in the wall I'm not sure about as the builder placed them. But I can easily test with the Satellite without as there are 2 coming out of the wall there. But in the end the router finds the Satellite as connected device, and has an IP as well. Just not found or paired as the Satellite, but I will try a few more things in that case. Some good advice you gave me I forgot or didn't try yet.

But rest of the cables are all bought, not fabricated myself and I tried also multiple ones, so that's for sure not it. Also the amount of meters is not that much. 10 max and it's all either Cat 5E or Cat 6.

Will try first to connect it directly tomorrow as that's the best to see what it does I think. But as it's Christmas eve and lots of family coming I might also pull it a few days later before I break it all again..

Thanks for the help so far and will let you know updates after I tried more 🙂

Message 10 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

No, can't do that in my setup. Both wire connected to the main cable / fiber router from the ISP. I can't pull a cable directly from the RBR to the RBS but in the end it should not matter if there is a device between.
Message 11 of 19
Bandito
Luminary

It does matter where the satellite is connected.  To be seen as a satellite, it must be wired directly to the Orbi router or connected by WiFi, otherwise it will not act as an actual satellite extending the WiFi network.

Message 12 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Really? Hmm ok, well I will try then to do this as I have an option for it I think. I have to check my wiring but I think I can get it directly behind the RBR with some tricks, have family from abroad over now so hard to make all the fixes and try everything out but weekend after new years I will dedicate some time to it to see what I can do.

Thanks for assistance so far. I just still find it weird that it can't operate as satellite when there is just a cable modem/router between from a third party. This should be seen the same as a regular switch. Should be easy to set it as satellite in Netgear software. It I bought 2x AX8 or 12 for example I could set both in AP mode and it would work fine. I went for Orbi because the ease of use but it's actually limiting compared to that, and more expensive. So not sure if I made the right choice or the Netgear software just need to be improved.
Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. The RBR needs direct connnection to the RBR and not thru a different router. You can have LAN switches in between the RBR and RBS, however it can't be a different router. Even in AP mode, the RBS needs to be directly connected to the RBR. 

I noticed this as well after connecting up my system in AP mode with a XR450. I had the RBS connected to the back of the XR router and the RBR also connected. The RBS would not sync correctly until I moved the LAN cable from the XR router to behind the RBR. Then the RBS came to ready correctly. 

Message 14 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Ok will try it next week but this is **bleep** in my home. Netgear could easily change that in their software. I'm sure many European homes will need to connect it like that as the cable router from the ISP often needs to serve as modem/router or you have to be more advanced with networking to bypass that. It's also often in the closet where all the power is situated. So Netgear could also just make this change 🙂
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes same here in USA, we have users with gateway modems which some users don't userstand about using and then adding on to those modems. For these kinds of modems, we suggests these options;

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

NG can't really make changes for placement or how power is connected. One can always put on a power cord extension cable from the Orbi power adapter to the wall outlet. 

Message 16 of 19
Jeffoz
Apprentice

Ok I managed to wire up the Satellite behind the Orbi Router. I was kind of lucky with the wall plugs as I had to change the router / satellite their positions because of 1 connection to the WAN needed. Upstairs I had 2 wall plugs so I could do some trick and wire it all the way so the Satellite is now downstairs and wired. Of course connection is straight on "good". So let's see how this goes and if I still experience issues, as I had some new issues since Orbi which is I think due to the fact that it's not super stable software / firmware yet.

I could also use the ISP gateway just as modem but don't want to go there, I'm quite aware of networking as I work in a Datacenter but I also know if I screw that up they won't help 😉 and I'm not that knowledgeable on the area.
Message 17 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Jeffoz wrote:
Ok I managed to wire up the Satellite behind the Orbi Router. I was kind of lucky with the wall plugs as I had to change the router / satellite their positions because of 1 connection to the WAN needed. Upstairs I had 2 wall plugs so I could do some trick and wire it all the way so the Satellite is now downstairs and wired. Of course connection is straight on "good". So let's see how this goes and if I still experience issues, as I had some new issues since Orbi which is I think due to the fact that it's not super stable software / firmware yet.

I could also use the ISP gateway just as modem but don't want to go there, I'm quite aware of networking as I work in a Datacenter but I also know if I screw that up they won't help 😉 and I'm not that knowledgeable on the area.

Not sure why you claim the software/firmware isn't stable... once you get it connected and configured properly you are going to find it rock solid.  You may want to come back and report your findings so you dont perpetuate bad information.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you can use the modem in router mode, however it's recommended to disable the modems wifi radios and use the modems DMZ or IP pass thru for the Orbi RBR. It's an easy operation to set that up. 

Good Luck. 

@Jeffoz wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7