Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Showing Wireless Devices as Wired in Attached Devices List

bullm00n
Luminary

Orbi Showing Wireless Devices as Wired in Attached Devices List

So if the Satellite backhaul is wired, all the devices connected to it show up as wired in the devices list - no indication if they are 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  Fairly useless information.  I'd use the wireless backhaul, but that shows as "poor", so I figure wired is better for performance - just bad for management.

This problem still exists from older Orbi products - kinda bummed that a $700 router setup retains such a goofy bug.

Solved: Orbi Showing Wireless Devices as Wired in Attached... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Showing Wireless Devices as Wired in Attached Devices List

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the RBS directly wired to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

That link is for the Orbi AC system. Doesn't apply to Orbi AX. 

Message 2 of 6
bullm00n
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the RBS directly wired to the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

That link is for the Orbi AC system. Doesn't apply to Orbi AX. 

Ha - I reckon you didn't bother to read any of the other link and yes I know it is not about the AX, but it's exactly the same conditions and discussion where they went round and round about firmware versions and switches, etc. And I'm guessing you have never tried the wired backhaul on any Orbi product including the AX or it would be fairly obvious how odd the info is on devices that connect to the satelllite.  Smiley LOL

Hardware VersionRBR850

Firmware VersionV3.2.16.22_1.4.9

GUI Language VersionV3.0.0.51_2.1.30.3

Operation ModeRouter

No switch in between and after a few years of this issue, I'm thinking any current product that still has the problem is wishful thinking that the firmware version matters - not until they fix it.

Seriously, if anyone is actually using a wired backhaul and is getting different results, that would be a good story.

I mainly posted this so that anyone else who sees this problem doesn't pull their hair out over it - it's just the way it is.  I relocated my satellite last night and now the 5G backhaul is working well - the performance of the entire setup, including LAGing it to the CM1150V cablemodem, is quite good.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try updateing to v12:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Both my RBS are wired and just checked again, my iphone 12 max shows at wireless connected to the RBS in the dining room.

DeviceWirelessConnected2WIredRBS.png

Message 4 of 6
bullm00n
Luminary

That sounds promising - will give a go later.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements