Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - Wi-Fi signal not connected to Internet

bensanford
Guide

Orbi - Wi-Fi signal not connected to Internet

I have an Orbi RBR750 with two RBS750 satellites, and updated the firmware to the lastest version yesterday.  Right now it is a stock router setup, broadcasting SSID on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Bands, as well as the guest network broadcasting that SSID.  I had just recently connected this in place of the Verizon supplied FIOS router (which I don't want to pay $15/month to rent, and that all appears to be working properly with the Orbi router - using MoCA to provide internet  to the Verizon Cable box, etc.

I can connect laptops, and iPhones to the Orbi Wi-Fi guest network and that works fine, and they have an internet connection. According to the Orbi App, most everything is connecting to the 5 GHz signal.  Also, devices connected to the wired ports of the RBR750 also have an internet connection.  But - when I connect to the regular Wi-Fi signal instead of the guest network, the devices connect and show a strong signal, but give an error that there is no internet connection.  

I was planning to potentially try to separate the SSID's for the two bands, but want to get this sorted out first.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
bensanford
Guide

Re: Orbi - Wi-Fi signal not connected to Internet

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any progress on this? 

@bensanford wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR750 with two RBS750 satellites, and updated the firmware to the lastest version yesterday.  Right now it is a stock router setup, broadcasting SSID on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Bands, as well as the guest network broadcasting that SSID.  I had just recently connected this in place of the Verizon supplied FIOS router (which I don't want to pay $15/month to rent, and that all appears to be working properly with the Orbi router - using MoCA to provide internet  to the Verizon Cable box, etc.

I can connect laptops, and iPhones to the Orbi Wi-Fi guest network and that works fine, and they have an internet connection. According to the Orbi App, most everything is connecting to the 5 GHz signal.  Also, devices connected to the wired ports of the RBR750 also have an internet connection.  But - when I connect to the regular Wi-Fi signal instead of the guest network, the devices connect and show a strong signal, but give an error that there is no internet connection.  

I was planning to potentially try to separate the SSID's for the two bands, but want to get this sorted out first.

Thanks for the suggestion about turning off the Guest access.  This cleared up the issue with my primary Wi-Fi signal - The signal was present, devices could connect to it, but there was no internet connectivity present that the devices could see.  This issue was present with two different Windows 10 computers, and also with a relatively recent iPad Pro.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9
bensanford
Guide

Thanks for the quick response.  I will go over to that forum.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you turn OFF Guest Network? 

Message 4 of 9
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What happens if you turn OFF Guest Network? 

I recommend that when you turn off the guest network reboot the system straight away.

I got an RBK853 kit Friday (and updated V3.2.18.1) and found that enabling the guest network  would cause devices to be unable to get an IP address from DHCP.

I'm not sure if only centain device types were affected by this but I did see it happen on a couple of Android phones and an iPad.

Initially I thought it was just isolated devices but I also noticed (at least it appeared so) that the number of reported connected devices was reducing over time and it appeared to be mostly mobile devices but I can't be certain of that. I also tried downgrading the firmware to the previous firmware and that made no difference.

I then went back to latest firmware (above) and factory reset and reconfigured from scratch and verified enabling the guest network caused the problem to re-occur and disabling the guest network and immediately rebooting resolved the problem.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@raven_au Thanks for letting us know this. I'll be sure to keep this in mind when others post about Guest Network and when using it. I don't use GN much, only in testing and helping others. 

I'll let NG know about this as well. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@bensanford wrote:

Message 7 of 9
bensanford
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Any progress on this? 

@bensanford wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion about turning off the Guest access.  This cleared up the issue with my primary Wi-Fi signal - The signal was present, devices could connect to it, but there was no internet connectivity present that the devices could see.  This issue was present with two different Windows 10 computers, and also with a relatively recent iPad Pro.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it working better. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7