Re: Orbi WiFi 6 (AX) Frequently Asked Questions

ChristineT
Admin

Orbi WiFi 6 (AX) Frequently Asked Questions

When will Orbi support 6E?

Answer: Currently there is no release date for an Orbi WiFi 6E system, but you can find the latest information on Orbi at https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/

Does the new Orbi WiFi 6 systems work with the older Orbi WiFi 5 systems?

Answer:  Orbi WiFi 6 devices will work with any other Orbi WiFi 6 devices, but Orbi WiFi 6 units are not currently compatible with the older Orbi WiFi 5 units.

What is the maximum number of devices the new Orbi WiFi 6 supports?

Answer: Orbi  WiFi 6 Mesh System can simultaneously support up to 254 clients and allows between 40 to 100 concurrent clients depending on the model.

Is there an outdoor satellite for Orbi WiFi 6?

Answer: Currently there is not an outdoor version of the Orbi WiFi 6.

What are the advantages of going with the Orbi WiFi 6 over current non-Orbi router?

Answer: There are a number of advantages that Orbi WiFi 6 offers over a standard router:

• Orbi has a larger WiFi coverage area when compared to a single router, and can be expanded by adding additional satellites.
  • Orbi has a single WiFi name and password, instead of having different ones for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
  • Orbi WiFi 6 can handle more concurrent client devices when compared to a single router.
  • For devices such as cell phones and laptops that support WiFi 6, the battery charge will last longer on the devices while they are connect to the WiFi 6 network due to a new energy management system built into WiFi 6.

Does the Orbi WiFi 6 system work with any modems, or only specific ones?

Answer: The Orbi WiFi 6 system will work with any modem that has an Ethernet port for it to connect to.

Does Orbi WiFi 6 systems work in buildings with metal or concrete walls?

Answer: concrete and metal walls will drastically limit the range of the WiFi signals.

Do endpoints (satellites) need to be 802.11ax to take advantage of all the features?

Answer: To take advantage of all the 802.11ax features the satellites need to also support this.  (So you would only use Orbi WiFi 6 satellites in an Orbi WiFi 6 network)

What parental controls does it support, or when will they be available?

Answer: Current the Orbi WiFi 6 does not have parental controls.

Message 1 of 17
energie
Luminary

I don't think those are frequently asked questions. The frequently asked question is:

• When will Netgear fix the DNS / firmware issue on the the broken Orbi 6 AX system?

This problem is affecting all users that use this router in 'Router' mode. It has been fixed on the Orbi Pro AX last year ago. However, Netgear is ignoring this issue. So another frequently question is:

• When will Netgear actually respond to this issue?

See also: 

Message 2 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

@energie wrote:

I don't think those are frequently asked questions. The frequently asked question is:

• When will Netgear fix the DNS / firmware issue on the the broken Orbi 6 AX system?

This problem is affecting all users that use this router in 'Router' mode. It has been fixed on the Orbi Pro AX last year ago. However, Netgear is ignoring this issue. So another frequently question is:

See also: 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

---------------
My Equipment: Cox Cable (350Mb/35Mb), Orbi AX6000 (RBR850, 3 x RBS850) (2xWired backhaul), NG GS116PP Gigabit Smart Switch, Synology DS1019+ NAS
Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

"This problem is affecting all users that use this router in 'Router' mode." I wouldn't say "all users" are effected. Yes there are many however not everyone is having this problem. I agree though, NG needs to address this for sure. Hopefully they will on next FW update. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

@ChristineT   Since this is your post, do you have any answer to this frequently asked question?

---------------
My Equipment: Cox Cable (350Mb/35Mb), Orbi AX6000 (RBR850, 3 x RBS850) (2xWired backhaul), NG GS116PP Gigabit Smart Switch, Synology DS1019+ NAS
Message 5 of 17
FIX_DNS_PLEASE
Initiate

@ChristineT  Bump. Please address the DNS issues.

Message 6 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

The silence is deafening.....  but says a lot.

---------------
Message 7 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@energie wrote:

See also: 

This is a FALSE statement as not all users in Router mode are affected.

The problem is generally a user problem, not knowing how to configure it properly. We have all Orbi AX systems running Wi-Fi 6 with no issues. I have posted the proper configuration on a few threads.

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding Parental Controls on Orbi 7 and 8 series systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Parental-Controls-missing-on-RBR850/...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 9 of 17
energie
Luminary

No it's not. Netgear needs to fix the DNS issue / firmware. It had been fixed for the Orbi AX pro series last year already. Netgear should fix the same issue for the consumer grade hardware.
Message 10 of 17
McLong
Apprentice

Hear, hear! We all have this issue so come on Netgear fix this already!
Message 11 of 17
tak1313
Luminary

@Mstrbig wrote:

This is a FALSE statement as not all users in Router mode are affected.

The problem is generally a user problem, not knowing how to configure it properly. We have all Orbi AX systems running Wi-Fi 6 with no issues. I have posted the proper configuration on a few threads.

Mstrbig

Just as it is wrong that all users in router mode is wrong, you are wrong to state it is generally a user problem and your fixes work for everyone.  Many who are having issues are not lay consumers and know what they are doing - many are even IT professionals - yet the problem(s) persist.

Whereas it may be "user problems" in some cases, for many it is definitely a firmware problem (most likely) or a hardware problem (less likely).

Message 12 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

This thread -- which started as a Public Relations "Feel Good" post -- has shown what happens when you loose consumer confidence and has turned into a PR disaster.

• If your customer thinks there is an issue with your product -- even if only in certain modes, then you have a problem.  
  • If you don't aggressively engage your customer's concerns -- even if they are unfounded, then you loose those customers confidence.
  • If you stay quiet and let customers argue about your product when you know the truth, you are disengenous.

---------------
Message 13 of 17
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @Chuck_M@energie@tak1313@McLong  

Please accept my apologies for not responding to this sooner! I am looking into the status of the "DNS issue" and will post an update as soon as it becomes available! Just to confirm, is the issue you're having related to WiFi issues? Similar to what is described in the thread below?

It appears we have a trial firmware for the RBK750 Series. If any customer that has this model please let me know and I'll be happy to provide the trial firmware. I'm still checking on if trial firmware is available for the RBK850 Series.

Any additional details here will help ensure I'm able to address the concern(s) accurately. 

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok for ALL you 8 series Orbi users, please make contact with @Christian_R 

Ask for access to Firmware v3.2.18.223. Beta is ready and being made available for those who want to try this version. 

"Unknown/Phantom Satellite is showing up in the Orbi App
Netgear logs of Satellite are not collected in GUI debug logs
DNS issues"

Once you get the files, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. I would power OFF all units for 30 seconds then back ON. Same with your ISP MODEM/ONT. 

If any issues are still seen, you'll need to do a factory reset and clean setup from scratch. 

I would encourage for those having DNS issue to give this a try. Seems to be fixed for 7 series users. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 17
Kielty
Initiate

Just bought the rbk853 and set up as router straight out of the box - as part of the update process installed firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 no issues at all with DNS (using cloudflare), streaming Netflix, Prime, Disney+ or anything else for that matter. No issues with Armor either, currently in 30 day trial. I see some users can't disable Armor - no issue through app, disables right away.

Router plus 1 sat wireless and 1 sat wired, 45+ devices attached including NAS, camera's, phones etc - flawless - everything is connecting at fantastic speeds. Coverage is great and fast.

Cant fault this product at all - apart from the price!

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the feed back. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@Kielty wrote:

Just bought the rbk853 and set up as router straight out of the box - as part of the update process installed firmware V3.2.18.1_1.4.14 no issues at all with DNS (using cloudflare), streaming Netflix, Prime, Disney+ or anything else for that matter. No issues with Armor either, currently in 30 day trial. I see some users can't disable Armor - no issue through app, disables right away.

Router plus 1 sat wireless and 1 sat wired, 45+ devices attached including NAS, camera's, phones etc - flawless - everything is connecting at fantastic speeds. Coverage is great and fast.

Cant fault this product at all - apart from the price!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements