Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi 6 Router AX6000 / RBR850 New Firmware V3.1.6.11_1.1.5

DoctorA
Luminary

Orbi WiFi 6 Router AX6000 / RBR850 New Firmware V3.1.6.11_1.1.5

What is new?

My wish list:

1.Wireless connectivity to Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) since it is only wireless with no Ethernet ports.

2. Wireless connectivity to RBS50 satellite. It was reported working fine wired but it would be nice to put where you want for the second satellite location.

My system is working fine and Attached Devices list is not lost. Speeds are 1Gbps wired and 600Mbps on iphone Xs Max at both R and S rooms while conected wired together.

Message 1 of 26
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Router AX6000 / RBR850 New Firmware V3.1.6.11_1.1.5

I agree that enabling wireless connectivity to Gen 1 Orbi will be nice. It will be great to be able to make use of existing HW.

I think the wireless connectivity to Gen1 Orbi will come in a maintenance release soon.

Message 2 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

Is this a fw already out? Not seeing it on my end. Desperate need of a new one, really having some weird behavior I need help on.
Message 3 of 26
Chuck_M
Mentor

That is the FW that was available under ADVANCED, ADMIN tab and FIRMWARE UPGRADE.

If that is not showing, I would recommend a factory reset and subsequent setup where it should check for that.  (Sounds like you should do one anyway!)

The above is what I did (I actually took an extra step and factory reset AFTER the firmware upgrade just to ensure there were no hanging "chads")

I have to say, my AX is working now like a champ including the included RBS-850 sattelite AND two RBS-50 hardwired Sattelites as well that go to a separate building.

I have also found that the RBR-850 and RBS-850s have a MUCH wider range of coverage to wireless devices that under the old RBR-50 and RBS-50 were minimal signals... now they are maxed out.  Said another way, unless you have separate buidlings you want to cover, there may not be a need for the average home (3,000-5,000 sq/ft) to have additional sattelites.

Final note & lessons learned:  I had forgotten you have to enable remote management in the GUI before the app would let you do management outside of the LAN (e.g. WAN).

I had tried to hard wire to old RBR-50 in AP mode, but the system didnt like that, so I took the RBR out and replaced it with an RBS hardwired, and POOF, Bob's your Uncle!   Worked great.

The biggest pain so far is transferring ownership of the old RBR-50 to a friend of mine.   Why isnt transfer an online function for registered owners?

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What behaviors are you seeing? 

Can you give us some background information? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@sabeens wrote:
Is this a fw already out? Not seeing it on my end. Desperate need of a new one, really having some weird behavior I need help on.

Message 5 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

Hi, so I’m on a netgear cm1000 Modem connected to cox gig(the coax version, not fiber). I have the rbr850 setup with one rbs850 satellite and it’s in the most current fw downloadable. The biggest bug I’m facing now is Apple TV. Of wired they are fine. If over WiFi, which three of mine are, the major streaming apps play for a few minutes and then stop. After that, none of the apps will stream until a Apple TV reboot. Once I do that, it’s a rinse repeat scenario, it stops playing yet again. What’s weird is a Speedtest on the Apple TV will work as will loading up any pages on something like Netflix or Hulu. It’s the actual playing of video that halts. The Apple TV’s are all latest model before the 4K model and on tv os 13.2. I have reset each from scratch and no luck. Sounds like a weird one I know but what has me looking at the orbi as the culprit is when I hook up my rbr50 and rbs50 satellite setup that I upgraded from, no issues, works like a charm. Before this, I was wondering if Apple TV os was buggy but simple googling doesn’t reproduce my issues in the searches and the fact that the older system works flawlessly has me a little frustrated.

I will open up an official ticket as well.
House is 3000sq ft, router on one end, satellite hardwired on other end.
Message 6 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is the ATVs connected to the RBS? or Both RBS and RBR? 

I know of a problem with the RBS being connected via ethernet with LAN switches,at least for me, causes problems with an xbox at the end of the RBS. So I had to keep the RBS wirelessly connected. NG is aware of this. 

@sabeens wrote:
Hi, so I’m on a netgear cm1000 Modem connected to cox gig(the coax version, not fiber). I have the rbr850 setup with one rbs850 satellite and it’s in the most current fw downloadable. The biggest bug I’m facing now is Apple TV. Of wired they are fine. If over WiFi, which three of mine are, the major streaming apps play for a few minutes and then stop. After that, none of the apps will stream until a Apple TV reboot. Once I do that, it’s a rinse repeat scenario, it stops playing yet again. What’s weird is a Speedtest on the Apple TV will work as will loading up any pages on something like Netflix or Hulu. It’s the actual playing of video that halts. The Apple TV’s are all latest model before the 4K model and on tv os 13.2. I have reset each from scratch and no luck. Sounds like a weird one I know but what has me looking at the orbi as the culprit is when I hook up my rbr50 and rbs50 satellite setup that I upgraded from, no issues, works like a charm. Before this, I was wondering if Apple TV os was buggy but simple googling doesn’t reproduce my issues in the searches and the fact that the older system works flawlessly has me a little frustrated.

I will open up an official ticket as well.
House is 3000sq ft, router on one end, satellite hardwired on other end.

Message 7 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

The fw is 3.1.5.23
The distance between the satellite and router is probably about 75ft but the satellite is hard wired in, this configuration worked well with the rbs50/rbr50 setup. Also, I’ve tried disconnecting the satellite so it’s not even a potential issue and same issue is seen.
I use switches but they don’t come into play for the WiFi, they are after the fact in the setup.
I have 4 Apple TV’s that go off of WiFi, some are connected to satellite, some to main router, same issue. I have one Apple TV that is hard wired that does not exhibit the behavior but if I love that to WiFi it does happen.
Weirdest part, the streaming stops and won’t work again until a reboot even if I try different apps. But the connection is there. Speedtest on the appletv will still work. Loving in and out of various title menus on those streaming apps works as well. App Store, all that sort of stuff, works. But it won’t continue streaming until I reboot. I’ve factory reset every component on the system. Again, still have my old Orbi and works just fine.
I have a few weeks left to return. Had been holding out for a new fw but I’ll admit, I may just have to stick with what works and return the 852
Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this. Narrow down where the issue might be. Turn off the RBS and all other ATVs for a bit. Connect 1 ATB to the RBR. Does the 1 ATV exhibit the same thing with the RBR? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try the following and see:
Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@sabeens wrote:
The fw is 3.1.5.23
The distance between the satellite and router is probably about 75ft but the satellite is hard wired in, this configuration worked well with the rbs50/rbr50 setup. Also, I’ve tried disconnecting the satellite so it’s not even a potential issue and same issue is seen.
I use switches but they don’t come into play for the WiFi, they are after the fact in the setup.
I have 4 Apple TV’s that go off of WiFi, some are connected to satellite, some to main router, same issue. I have one Apple TV that is hard wired that does not exhibit the behavior but if I love that to WiFi it does happen.
Weirdest part, the streaming stops and won’t work again until a reboot even if I try different apps. But the connection is there. Speedtest on the appletv will still work. Loving in and out of various title menus on those streaming apps works as well. App Store, all that sort of stuff, works. But it won’t continue streaming until I reboot. I’ve factory reset every component on the system. Again, still have my old Orbi and works just fine.
I have a few weeks left to return. Had been holding out for a new fw but I’ll admit, I may just have to stick with what works and return the 852

Message 9 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

I have tried the first two suggestions previously but I will give that 3rd one a go.
As for neighbors, we are on 1 acre lots so never been a problem. If there was any issue to be had there, I’d be the one drowning them out.
Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, have no idea of your neighboring wifi surrounding so had to ask. 

So the RBR and 1 ATV still experiences this problem? 

What other wifi devices do you have connected or was this just the 1 ATB and RBR alone? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@sabeens wrote:
I have tried the first two suggestions previously but I will give that 3rd one a go.
As for neighbors, we are on 1 acre lots so never been a problem. If there was any issue to be had there, I’d be the one drowning them out.

Message 11 of 26
NateIU
Tutor

I actually had the exact same issue.

There is a firmware bug with the new AX Orbis and 1080p Apple TV on wifi connected to the Router. I have another 4K Apple TV connected to the Satellite which didn’t seem to have the issue.

It somehow breaks streaming entirely and there’s no good fix except rebooting the AppleTV and Orbi. I actually switched back to my AC Orbis for a while and almost returned the AX until I saw the new firmware.

I THINK the new firmware fixes it though. I upgraded to the latest, then did a factory reset of both the router and satellite. Things have been MUCH more stable all around. The previous firmware had some random issues where my WiFi6 iPhone would stall and require me to turn on and off wifi. And my Nest cameras would occasionally lose connection.

But with the latest firmware (and factory reset) it’s been rock solid!

I’m using the default settings for everything pretty much, WPA 2.
Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know the new FW and factory reset helped get you going. 

Enjoy. 

@NateIU wrote:
I actually had the exact same issue.

There is a firmware bug with the new AX Orbis and 1080p Apple TV on wifi connected to the Router. I have another 4K Apple TV connected to the Satellite which didn’t seem to have the issue.

It somehow breaks streaming entirely and there’s no good fix except rebooting the AppleTV and Orbi. I actually switched back to my AC Orbis for a while and almost returned the AX until I saw the new firmware.

I THINK the new firmware fixes it though. I upgraded to the latest, then did a factory reset of both the router and satellite. Things have been MUCH more stable all around. The previous firmware had some random issues where my WiFi6 iPhone would stall and require me to turn on and off wifi. And my Nest cameras would occasionally lose connection.

But with the latest firmware (and factory reset) it’s been rock solid!

I’m using the default settings for everything pretty much, WPA 2.

Message 13 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

Wow it’s been so odd of a issue I can’t believe someone else is seeing it as well. But I wonder if the fw release is regional as I’m just not seeing it. I’ve done a factory reset as well(which stinks because I’ve renamed all my connected devices and you lose that on a reset) and still doesn’t show to the fw you’ve listed. I’ve google searched it, checked the support page for the rbk852 and still all I see is the 3.1.5.23 and not the 3.1.6.11 that the thread was originally for, the fw you’ve been able to upgrade to. Anyone else seeing a link or been able to/not been able to get to this newer fw?
Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

v.11 isn't posted yet on the download site. Hopefully they will soon. 

@ErnestTheGreat 

@Christian_R 

Message 15 of 26
sabeens
Aspirant

That’s a bummer. I’m assuming beta testers accounts for the difference here on why some have it and some don’t?
I’ll give it a bit more time but in our household it’s been a fairly debilitating bug that’s wearing thin. We’ve cut the cord so our only source of tv is those appletv boxes. a quick hot fix could have been sent out imo but it is what it is I suppose. I’ll return if it goes on for much longer and stick with something that works. It’s a ‘release to retail and beta test later’ world these days.
Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Is-there-a-Beta-Tester-Community-for-AX-6000/m-p/1821511#M2...

@sabeens wrote:
That’s a bummer. I’m assuming beta testers accounts for the difference here on why some have it and some don’t?
I’ll give it a bit more time but in our household it’s been a fairly debilitating bug that’s wearing thin. We’ve cut the cord so our only source of tv is those appletv boxes. a quick hot fix could have been sent out imo but it is what it is I suppose. I’ll return if it goes on for much longer and stick with something that works. It’s a ‘release to retail and beta test later’ world these days.

Message 17 of 26
NateIU
Tutor

I’m not a beta tester — I think they accidentally put it up perhaps. I went to the Orbi update page and forced the update as soon as I saw it was live.

My guess is Netgear is still testing it so pulled it back.

Hopefully they will release it soon — my network has bee SOLID and the AppleTV 1080 hasn’t crashed since.
Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

This is up on the beta forum for those who wanna give it a try. Contact @Christian_R for access. 

Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 26
Chuck_M
Mentor

Thanks, will give it a go after work today and report findings.

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Me too. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 26
thedak
Apprentice

Hi, how did you get your RBS50 to connect to our RBR850?  I have a RBR850 with two wireless RBS850's and I tried to cable an older RBS50 but it wasn't recognized.  Just came up with the default router ssid and wouldn't sync, etc?  thanks!

Message 23 of 26
Chuck_M
Mentor

@thedak wrote:

Hi, how did you get your RBS50 to connect to our RBR850?  I have a RBR850 with two wireless RBS850's and I tried to cable an older RBS50 but it wasn't recognized.  Just came up with the default router ssid and wouldn't sync, etc?  thanks!

My 2 x RBS50s are hard wired back through a NG switch to the RBR850.

Just plug them in and they will be recognized.

Wireless doesnt work (yet) for RBR850 to RBS50 backhaul.

Message 24 of 26
thedak
Apprentice

Thanks! Interesting experience. My rbr850 is in AP mode wired into another router. I pin reset the rbs50 and cabled it to one of the LAN ports on the back of the rbr850 and it recognized and configured it perfectly and showed the third satellite.

I then moved it to another area and cabled it to one of my standard router ports on the same switch as the rbr850 and although it lit up blue the rbr850 doesn't list it in the attached devices anymore. (web gui or app) - it did the first time.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7