Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi 6 Slow WiFi/Inconsistent Speed

SkySys
Guide

Orbi WiFi 6 Slow WiFi/Inconsistent Speed

First Issue - unable to find the correct model in Netgear Support, so chose the closes model one in the list (RBR50 Orbi AC300).

* My Correct Product is RBR750, Netgear AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 with 1 Satelite. House is roughly 3,200 square feet.

Second/Main Issue -

* I have 1 Gbps Internet (AT&T Fiber)

* Hardwired and Speed coming into the house on average is 950 mbps up and download.

* WiFi Speed is around 200 to 300mbps fluctuating download, and upload around 100 to 200mbps

* I have mostly all new devices, for example MacBook Pro 2019 which is capable of 802.11ac and iPhone 11 Pro which is capable of 802.11ax

Troubleshooting steps taken

* Changed Channels, DNS Servers, Change MTU, Changed Orbi to AP, Reset to Factory Settting - nothing has resolved the issue.

Any advice/recommendation?

The purpose of upgrading to Orbi WiFi 6 system was try to increase the wireless speed and it has not made a difference.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 61
Mikey94025
Hero

First, use the speedtest.net app or use a web browser on your iPhone 11 Pro to best test wifi 6 speed.  Don't use the Orbi number.

Next, test wired speeds connected directly to your modem and then compare to wired speeds connected to your Orbi.  Can you connect an ethernet cable to your MacBook Pro?

Also, check if your ISP modem is also a router and if you have the overhead of Double NAT.  Does Your IP in https://canyouseeme.org/ show a different WAN IP addressthan http://orbilogin.com/?  If so then you have Double NAT and you will get better throughput if you switch your modem to Bridge mode and only have the Orbi do your routing.  Alternatively, run your Orbi in bridge mode and only have your modem do the routing.

Message 2 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Yes, I have tried both speed test hardwired and wireless. Before and After Orbi. It increased a little bit after Orbi. But still not getting that 500 to 600mbps + speed.

AT&T Aris Modem and Router doesn’t allow bridge or modem mode. The closest you can do is IP Passthrough.

The IP Address is showing 108... and on Orbi login it’s 192 and I have also set it as static IP address.

Any other suggestions?

Message 3 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your wired speeds behind the RBR? You should see near 900Mpbs on wired with your mac. 

Wireless, you should see anything from 500 to maybe 700 on your mac book as I do with mine sitting around 10-12 feet way from the RBR. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK-852-New-Firmware-Version-V3-2-16-6-1-4-4/m-p/1962778/hi...

What happens if you try AP mode on your RBR? 

Message 4 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Yes, I am getting on average 950mbps.

Wireless I am sitting closer to 300 to 400 max, fluctuating.

I have tried AP mode and has not made a difference.

Message 5 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What Connection rates are you seeing on the mac book and iphone. Use wifisweet spots on your iphone to check the connection rates there.

Message 6 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Thanks for the app suggestion. I tried it and it gave me on average 300mbps. Definitely not getting the WiFi 6 speeds.
Message 7 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to check your phone against a different wifi AC or AX routers to see if the iphone is connecting to higher speeds with other routers or not. Either the phone isn't working right or the Orbi isn't connecting with the phone right. 

Message 8 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Don’t have another router to connect to. But I have the latest MacBook and other devices that are AC and AX compatible and they are not hitting the high end of the speed.
I have managed to get the iPhone and the computer speed up to 400mbps but can’t seem to get any higher.
Message 9 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Heres what my mac book pro is connecting at while about 12 feet or so from the RBR:

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 8.35.44 PM.png

If yours isn't seeing anything near this, then either the RBR is faulty or macs are not connecting well to the RBR. 

There a friend or family member or neighbor that has a wifi router that you can check your MBP and iphone with? 

You might take the Orbi system back and try another one. 

@SkySys wrote:
Don’t have another router to connect to. But I have the latest MacBook and other devices that are AC and AX compatible and they are not hitting the high end of the speed.
I have managed to get the iPhone and the computer speed up to 400mbps but can’t seem to get any higher.

Message 10 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Please advise where I can pull the information you did for your Macbook (in the black window).

Message 11 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Hold the Option button on the keyboard then left click once on the wifi icon on the top tool bar.

Message 12 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

I have similar results - 1 gig line, but wireless usually around 300 up/down when everything working right (which you'll see from my history isn't always the case!). All apple devices. On rare occasions I've seen 600 but later in the same location I don't. I suspect that the chipsets are not prioritizing the faster bands. I have an iPhone 11 max and the latest iPad which both should be wifi 6 but I wonder whether the chip instructions for band switching just aren't quite right yet

Message 13 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rates are you seeing with your apple devices while connected to the RBR? 

@Dd852 wrote:

I have similar results - 1 gig line, but wireless usually around 300 up/down when everything working right (which you'll see from my history isn't always the case!). All apple devices. On rare occasions I've seen 600 but later in the same location I don't. I suspect that the chipsets are not prioritizing the faster bands. I have an iPhone 11 max and the latest iPad which both should be wifi 6 but I wonder whether the chip instructions for band switching just aren't quite right yet

Message 14 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

It's maddeningly inconsistent - not that I actually need the speed frankly, but it is more the puzzle that irritates me. I can, like right now, get 600+ up and down - perfect. Other times sitting in the same location 300. All I can think of is there is some interference coming in from somewhere causing the unit not to select that band or switch away from it, but there's nothing obvious on a wifi sniff test. Connected by Ethernet I get 800 consistently though the service is rated and sold at 1 g but I can forgive that!

Message 15 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

So with a apple PC or laptop, what is the connection rate your seeing with the device connected at the RBR? Press the Option key on the keyboard then left click once on the wifi icon on the top right tool bar. This will give you a connection rate as seen in one of my posts here. 

Currently my mac book pro 2018 is connected at 975Mbps.

on phones or pads, install wifi sweet spots to check connection rate at the RBR. 

What FW version are you currently using>? 

Message 16 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Right now, Rssi -46, noise -95 tx 1,300 Mbps and connection 802.11ac. That is seated two feet from the router.  Just not getting the ax...

Message 17 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Mac AX supporting? I know mine isn't and only reports AC. I'm about 15-20 feet away from my RBR and RBS and still getting 975Mpbs...This is good. 

Message 18 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Ah you’re right only my phone and iPad are ax supported. My bad. But they’re getting the same speeds so I assume in the same band. Phone on cloud check reporting 644 to the WiFi
Message 19 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and report your findings of your iphone and pad. They should be seeing AX speeds, well over 1300Mpbs. 

1733 or at least 2400Mpbs.

@Blanca_O 

Message 20 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Frankly my experience with support has been frustrating. Long phone waits with no pick up when transferred to engineering, no response to written tickets, no follow up. 

Message 21 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Try sending a PM to @Blanca_O first.

Message 22 of 61
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks - I will

Message 23 of 61
SkySys
Guide

Message 24 of 61
SkySys
Guide

I am in the same boat. Frustrated with customer service. I am having the same issue as yours with the fluctuating WiFi speeds on both AC and AX devices. Is it worth switching out with a new device?

Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7