Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 AX6000 Is a Disaster, Do NOT Buy!

EchostormFury
Apprentice

Orbi Wifi 6 AX6000 Is a Disaster, Do NOT Buy!

I bought the Orbi Wifi 6 AX6000 kit and got it from Best Buy last week -- it is an absolute disaster! I documented my plight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu4kB85W78c

Cons

• No backward compatability with RBS50 satellites
  • No Parental Controls (Circle or otherwise)
  • No Netgear Armor (Bitdefender)
  • No additional satellites available for purchase (anything other than Wifi 6 devices will be slower than ethernet linked to a prior generation satellite)
  • No USB for NAS
  • Expensive, $700 for 1 router + 1 satellite
  • Spartan options in Orbi admin panel
  • Netgear Support doesn't even know anything about this product currently and cannot comment of features or lack thereof

Pros

• 5 ethernet ports instead of 4 on router
  • Wifi 6 is faster and seems to connect better albeit only to your Wifi 6 devices or satellite with ethernet linked
Message 1 of 27
plemans
Guru

You bought literally the newest of the new. These features might be coming down the road (not sure as I'm not a Netgear employee) but they don't list anywhere on their website any of the features you list as a con.  The spec sheet doesn't show them, the orbi box itself doesn't show them.  

The original Orbi initially shipped with very minimal features that slowly got added on as the technology progressed. Like I said, its literally the newest of the new. New wireless standard and new mesh setup. If I'd bought something like this, my hope would be that all the basic features were rock solid prior to adding in the add-ons. 

I'm not sure whats going on with Best Buy but Amazon doesn't even have this available for order until November 11th. Netgear's own website doesn't even have a product manual listed yet. 

I can't judge whether the system is good or not as I haven't played with one yet. The only point I fully agree with is the con of the price tag.  $700 is stretching the budget quite a bit. Only bonus to it is that it has caused the old Orbi system to go down in price and make more palpable for other people. 

Message 2 of 27
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Actually when I preordered this there WERE descriptions listing that parental controls were available.  I asked this specifically of Netgear prior to the release and they would NOT comment or confirm  I asked also about backwards compatability of the old RBS50's as they would not comment as my concern was that my setup requires 1+2 satellites.  I have a media center on one satellite, and another set of computers on another.   Without 2 satellites the media center ends up on 802.11 g/n which cannot even maintain a 4K video stream despite Wifi 6 so there's absolutely no point.  You cannot even buy the RBS850 satellite by itself so if you really need 2 you need 2 Wifi 6 kits $1400!?  The issue here is they priced this as a "premium" iteration of Orbi, and implied in silence that this would be as good as the current Orbi generation, but it is nowhere near as functional and again double+ the cost.  Parental controls, Netgear Armor should not be huge integrations and should have been implemeted before the hardware was sold.  Any upgraded generation should have the full function of the previous generation, and to be silent or not commonet on that is disingenuous and baiting early adopters like me to try it out.  My queston, how did Netgear expect we would respond after stripping features, number of satellites, and bilking us for cash?  I will buy the system when it is fully implemented and available in a 1+2 setup to match what I'm using now with exception of the 802.11ax/Wifi 6 radio upgrades.  It would have been better for Netgear to be more transparent of its LACK of features rather than being coy about it.

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

@EchostormFury wrote:

I bought the Orbi Wifi 6 AX6000 kit and got it from Best Buy last week -- it is an absolute disaster! I documented my plight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu4kB85W78c

Cons

• No backward compatability with RBS50 satellites - They are if you wire connect the RBS50 to the RBR850. 
  • No Parental Controls (Circle or otherwise) - There is Access Controls. 
  • No Netgear Armor (Bitdefender) - This usually comes later on in a FW update. 
  • No additional satellites available for purchase (anything other than Wifi 6 devices will be slower than ethernet linked to a prior generation satellite)
  • No USB for NAS - USB NAS wasn't supported on 1st gen Orbi either. By the looks of it. NG doesn't wan to support USB drives on Orbi. 
  • Expensive, $700 for 1 router + 1 satellite - The price would be more attrative if they included two RBS instead of one. 
  • Spartan options in Orbi admin panel - I presume NG will and more as time goes on. 
  • Netgear Support doesn't even know anything about this product currently and cannot comment of features or lack thereof - They can't until NG desided to implement the features.

Pros

• 5 ethernet ports instead of 4 on router
  • Wifi 6 is faster and seems to connect better albeit only to your Wifi 6 devices or satellite with ethernet linked

Message 4 of 27
EchostormFury
Apprentice

The RBS50 to RBR850 wired connection doesn't make any sense as bascially your are what, creating a switch with the satellite and expanding what 4 ethernet ports?  That doesn't help anyone's situation at all if they are using the RBS50 as a satellite.

Message 5 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

@EchostormFury wrote:

The RBS50 to RBR850 wired connection doesn't make any sense as bascially your are what, creating a switch with the satellite and expanding what 4 ethernet ports?  That doesn't help anyone's situation at all if they are using the RBS50 as a satellite.

Great suggestion.

I know it is a waste of good wireless backhaul technology.  Backhaul channel is capable of delivering bandwidth of up to 2.4Gbps on this new RBK system which is the twice of wired speeds. But what is the alternative?

Consumers like me, who add multiple wifi clients over the years, one day find out that the existing system can't handle the number of devices any more.  Plus I need a mesh system.  I need a strong WiFi signal at the location where my satellite is now 35 feet away from the router.  The wired backhaul method beteen  RBS50 to RBR850 gave higher wifi speeds than the wireless  backhaul. On I-phone Xs Max I got 600-650 Mbps. With wireless backhaul I got only 400 Mbps on my phone.

Can I use a less expensive Netgear wired Wifi extender at that location and connect to the RBR 850?

Then I will be able to use the "precous" RBS 850 anywhere I need for more coverage in my 3 story home.

Attached is my layout.

Message 6 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ethernet backhaul support is there for users who may have a need to connect RBS past the wifi connection point with the RBR or rather have the RBS work as a wired AP in that kind of configuration. Makes perfect sence to have flexability with RBS connections. I've used my RBS50 in wired ethernet back haul and works fine. NG doesn't support the RBS50 wirelessly connected to the RBK852 currenetly. Hopefully in future udpates they will. 

Ethernet will always be more stable than wireless. 

Currently the RBS850 cuases problems via eithenet backhaul and xbox gaming. Working with NG on this one. 

@EchostormFury wrote:

Message 7 of 27
DoctorA
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ethernet backhaul support is there for users who may have a need to connect RBS past the wifi connection point with the RBR or rather have the RBS work as a wired AP in that kind of configuration. Makes perfect sence to have flexability with RBS connections. I've used my RBS50 in wired ethernet back haul and works fine. NG doesn't support the RBS50 wirelessly connected to the RBK852 currenetly. Hopefully in future udpates they will. 

Ethernet will always be more stable than wireless. 

Thanks to you and others  I am using my RBS850 in wired Ethernet back haul and it works fine. Since I can't find another 3rd satellite for sale now what can I use wired to extend the wifi signal from RBS850? I have a long CAT 6 going from the 3rd floor RBS850 to the 1st floor where I need the most for old 2.4GHz wemo switches. I don't have an old RBS50. Can I use an old NG WNDR 4500 router in AP mode?

I was also wondering if RBS 850 wifi signal travels further than RBS50 signal.

Since RBS50 is not working wirelessly with  RBK852 system I assume it will not work with the new and only wireless WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y).

It is ironic that they announced both outdoor  (RBS50Y) and RBK852 system the same day but conveniently forgot to mention that they will or will not work together.

They have a lot of work to do.

Message 8 of 27
Nsiddons
Apprentice

I  also bought the RBR852 from Best Buy on 10-24-19. I exchanged it for another RBR852 thinking there was something wrong with it. I have an RBS50Y which now doesn't work. I had to submit a ticket for all my other issues which Netgear helped me sort out. I do feel this product has some work to go, I don't think it is a disaster. This product is not ready for the novice as you must tweak every setting to get it to work right. Only my old outdoor Satellite issues remain. But a ton of good points were made by EchostormFury.

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AC RBSs won't work currently with Orbi AX wirlessly. Only wired RBSs will work. NG will probably make the Orbi AC RBS compatible in a future FW update. 

@Nsiddons wrote:

I  also bought the RBR852 from Best Buy on 10-24-19. I exchanged it for another RBR852 thinking there was something wrong with it. I have an RBS50Y which now doesn't work. I had to submit a ticket for all my other issues which Netgear helped me sort out. I do feel this product has some work to go, I don't think it is a disaster. This product is not ready for the novice as you must tweak every setting to get it to work right. Only my old outdoor Satellite issues remain. But a ton of good points were made by EchostormFury.

Message 10 of 27
GrumpyandDopey
Aspirant

First, I'm a networking guy and wanted to replace my existing Orbi system with the new AX6000.  So far:

- My CM1000 keeps power cycling after the router has booted

- Says I have internet commection (this is of course before the modem cycles) but I don't

- No backward connectivity to the old system

- No support except for this fourm.

A complete disaster. 

Message 11 of 27
EchostormFury
Apprentice

So I've had some people criticize my intial thoughts and review on my video stating that this is a new hardware generation and that we should expect less from Netgear.  Here's my issue about that point though:

The issue with the original Orbi was it was new tech at the time, the Orbi Wi-Fi 6 has had years of development time as it is based on the same backhaul as the previous generations, even if it needed more time for software and hardware engineering then they should have taken it. It was vaguely pitched and not transparent of Netgear of what we were even getting. Many like me were hopeful that it was at least as developed as the prior generation which Netgear should have realized that we were going to compare it against, not just other random Wi-Fi 6 routers. If it sold it as an Orbi it should live up to the Orbi feature set. You wouldn’t expect the next Xbox or PS5 to do less than the previous generation without explicitly telling you so. Likewise I bet most people who preordered like me were expecting Orbi to perform at least where the previous generation did if not more so with Wi-Fi 6. This is the review cautioning that it does not currently. I agree, once it has all the features implemented I will probably buy it again.

Message 12 of 27
GrumpyandDopey
Aspirant

Some additional information:

I have 2 AX6000 Orbi routers:

RBR850 (65L19979A13FB)

RBR850 (65L1997BA1408)

With the first one

Powered down my network.  Started the CM1100 then plugged the RBR850 in and went through the setup steps.  30 seconds in while trying to download the new software release, my cable modem power cycled. This happened 4 times with the same result.

With the second one.  Powered down my network.  Started the CM1100 then plugged the RBR850 in and went through the setup steps.  It said I had internet connectivity and the modem stayed up.  While trying to download the new software release, it said I did not have internet access.  This happened 4 times with the same result.

I’ve been asked by support to reset the RBR850s and try again which I will do.  Netgear support is totally clueless.

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you manually install the FW files for the RBS and RBR after downloading them to a wired PC. After loading the RBS first then RBR, factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 

I'll check this out this evening or this weekend with mine. I just put my CM1100 online the other night. Will be putting my RBK852 back online this evening or weekend. Depending on when I can get some time. 

@GrumpyandDopey wrote:

RBR850 (65L19979A13FB)

RBR850 (65L1997BA1408)

With the first one

Powered down my network.  Started the CM1100 then plugged the RBR850 in and went through the setup steps.  30 seconds in while trying to download the new software release, my cable modem power cycled. This happened 4 times with the same result.

With the second one.  Powered down my network.  Started the CM1100 then plugged the RBR850 in and went through the setup steps.  It said I had internet connectivity and the modem stayed up.  While trying to download the new software release, it said I did not have internet access.  This happened 4 times with the same result.

I’ve been asked by support to reset the RBR850s and try again which I will do.  Netgear support is totally clueless.

Message 14 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, RBK852 went online about an hour ago behing my CM1100 modem. Speeds wired with a PC are 900/50. WIll see if I notice anything odd with the modem. I have rebooted the RBR a couple of times aready. I haven't seen anything as of yet. 

@GrumpyandDopey wrote:

RBR850 (65L19979A13FB)

RBR850 (65L1997BA1408)

With the first one

Message 15 of 27
GrumpyandDopey
Aspirant

OK so I finally was able to get the router and a satellite up.  First I took the router I had and manually updated the software, with the cable modem down.  Once I got it updated, I started the modem and was able to get internet access with one of the routers (but not the other one).  I then paired the satelite and had them going, until they rebooted themselves after 40 minutes.  I did this three times and have decided to give up, they are not ready for prime time.

While I had the new solution up I did a speedtest and I'm not getting the performance I was getting out of the old system

There are features I need that aren't there yet in the product, like not advertising my ssid, although they are in the prior version of the product.  I've decided I'm tired of fixing Netgear's problems.

've worked at Cisco in networking, Polycom and Dell on their SDN product.  If I released software and hardware like this, I would have ben fired.

Good luck and see you in a few months when the basic bugs in functionality have been worked out.

Message 16 of 27
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Yep I think it will get there eventually, but right now it is unfit for launch.

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I would say you have may have a faulty RBK set. Others haven't reported this issue. 

System Uptime: 0 days 16:09:41

Haven't seen this with mine since going on line last nite. 

Return the system and try another set. 

Good Luck. 

@GrumpyandDopey wrote:

OK so I finally was able to get the router and a satellite up.  First I took the router I had and manually updated the software, with the cable modem down.  Once I got it updated, I started the modem and was able to get internet access with one of the routers (but not the other one).  I then paired the satelite and had them going, until they rebooted themselves after 40 minutes.  I did this three times and have decided to give up, they are not ready for prime time.

While I had the new solution up I did a speedtest and I'm not getting the performance I was getting out of the old system

There are features I need that aren't there yet in the product, like not advertising my ssid, although they are in the prior version of the product.  I've decided I'm tired of fixing Netgear's problems.

've worked at Cisco in networking, Polycom and Dell on their SDN product.  If I released software and hardware like this, I would have ben fired.

Good luck and see you in a few months when the basic bugs in functionality have been worked out.

Message 18 of 27
GrumpyandDopey
Aspirant

I have no problems linving with alpha and or beta code and hardware, I do this daily.  The problem for me are the the missing features that were in the previous platform (features I have to have).  Rather than take what they had and build on it, they started from scratch.  I'll wait until they reach feature parody with the existing system then upgrade.  I didn't need to upgrade, I wanted to upgrade.

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume eventually NG will add those features. Orbi AC was the same when it first came out. Eventually got more features. 

Good Luck. 

Message 20 of 27
Villman
Aspirant

I have an Xfinity coax 1000 x 50 connection. Modem provided by Xfinity. Stable service from Xfinity. At the Xfinity modem, I consistently get around 930 x 41 speeds. Sg Ft of the house is 650 SQ feet downstairs where the router is located, 850 sf on the main floor. Total sq ft for the home 1,500 sq foot home. Not so much for this Orbi AX6000 product. Upgraded firmware - V3.2.7.2_1.1.7, during original install. Could not use the WIFI backhaul from the router to the satellite. One of the selling points for me was not to need an ethernet backhaul. Now, I have an Ethernet backhaul connection now, based on the recommendation of Netgear advanced support tech. Remember, the home is a small one, not even close to 5,000 sq feet! At each end port ethernet connection, before plugging the router and the satellite in I receive the 930 x 41 speeds. That checks. When I connect to router and satellite the speeds vary from 650 to 820 speeds download for both devices. The upload is always consistent with the 41 upload speeds. Last night, while watching streaming tv, the connection was lost to the router, checked the cable modem connection is rock solid with 920ish downloads. When TV it reconnected, I did a speed test and it was showing around 40-50 download speeds. After restarting the cable modem, the Router, and Satellite. The speed still showed the 40-50 download speeds. I turned the network off. This morning, I turned the wifi network on, and the speeds for both, router and satellite again are showing high 600 to low 800 download speeds. I opened a case a few days ago with advanced tech support. They called me back in 24 hours, began the troubleshooting and sent them pdf of examples of the slower speeds. Still no fix. No call yesterday or today. I will be pulling this Orbi AX6000 and returning it back to Best Buy. I do not have time to be a beta tester. This product does not work for me.

Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet  or more is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Too close and this could cause problems with too much wifi signal overlap. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

My RBR is on 2nd story and RBS is in basement at about 30 feet or so. Though not wired and wireless connected, not having any streaming problems with RBS or RBR. There is a problem with RBS connected via ethernet. I wont see much near 900Mbps on my RBS due to Poor signal connection with mine and placement, however wired speed at my RBR behind a CM1100 is at 900Mbps or just a bit higher. This is expected and the RBR supports this speed. Idealy the RBS will too if conditions are correct, and the ethernet backhaul works which there seems to be some issues behind. NG has been made aware of this. 

Good Luck. 

@Villman wrote:

I have an Xfinity coax 1000 x 50 connection. Modem provided by Xfinity. Stable service from Xfinity. At the Xfinity modem, I consistently get around 930 x 41 speeds. Sg Ft of the house is 650 SQ feet downstairs where the router is located, 850 sf on the main floor. Total sq ft for the home 1,500 sq foot home. Not so much for this Orbi AX6000 product. Upgraded firmware - V3.2.7.2_1.1.7, during original install. Could not use the WIFI backhaul from the router to the satellite. One of the selling points for me was not to need an ethernet backhaul. Now, I have an Ethernet backhaul connection now, based on the recommendation of Netgear advanced support tech. Remember, the home is a small one, not even close to 5,000 sq feet! At each end port ethernet connection, before plugging the router and the satellite in I receive the 930 x 41 speeds. That checks. When I connect to router and satellite the speeds vary from 650 to 820 speeds download for both devices. The upload is always consistent with the 41 upload speeds. Last night, while watching streaming tv, the connection was lost to the router, checked the cable modem connection is rock solid with 920ish downloads. When TV it reconnected, I did a speed test and it was showing around 40-50 download speeds. After restarting the cable modem, the Router, and Satellite. The speed still showed the 40-50 download speeds. I turned the network off. This morning, I turned the wifi network on, and the speeds for both, router and satellite again are showing high 600 to low 800 download speeds. I opened a case a few days ago with advanced tech support. They called me back in 24 hours, began the troubleshooting and sent them pdf of examples of the slower speeds. Still no fix. No call yesterday or today. I will be pulling this Orbi AX6000 and returning it back to Best Buy. I do not have time to be a beta tester. This product does not work for me.

Message 22 of 27
Villman
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for your insight.  The ISP is Comcast using the Xfinity Model TG3482G fro Arris as the manufacturer. I have it set up in the Bridge mode. This is connected via new CAT8 Cable to the Router in the basement.

There is 41.7 feet distance to the Satelite from the Router. It was decided that the Wireless Back Haul could not come close to the satellite regarding any decent speed. Maybe around 40 downloads. Netgear advance tech suggested an ethernet handoff rather than the wireless backhaul. One of the marketing benefits of wifi backhaul is a feature I was interested in.. This was accomplished by gaining an uptick in speed. 700 to 800ish download speeds. The upload is constant at around 40ish upload speed. (Side Note) The home is not 5000 sq feet. It is downstairs 650 sq ft and the upstairs is 850 sq ft for a total of 1,500 sq ft home. In my naivety, I assumed this Orbi W-F-6 would be powerful enough to handle a smaller home. Not the case for me. I just wanted a future proof solution for now and into the future. Since I needed a solution to work on both floors with getting the bandwidth I purchased from Comcast

The router has the latest firmware update when installing and the router was rebooted.

Router settings at 2.4ghz were set to 1 the 5 GHz is set to 36. This afternoon, I have disabled the 2.4 GHz entirely.

Now, my concern is that it is unstable, the wi-fi network is going down at least once a day. Last night, I lost streaming on TV from the network for about an hour. Checked ISP modem, speeds were in check at around 930 downloads.  x 45 uploads. Again hard booted ISP modem the Router then satellite.

Recent Speedtest shows the 23 ping rate. 805 Download, x 41 uploads from the satellite.(upstairs)

Just now, the speed test shows The Router(downstairs) 23 ping rate, 147 upload x 41 upload speed. This Router is less than 8 feet away from the ISP modem router. Just 2 hours ago, I had the 700ish to 800ish download from the router. There is maybe 1 other WIFI user in the neighborhood. Hardwire from the router and the satellite is consistent though with speeds of 930 download x 41 uploads to the laptop. Crazy stuff. Take it easy. Regards.

Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Cna you get the router out of the basement and on the main or upper floor level? Basements are not good places for wifi routers. 

Message 24 of 27
EchostormFury
Apprentice

Update, I actually reverted by to my AC3200 Orbis and fixed my disconnect issues by changing the topology to a daisy chain which helped one of my satellites not drop anymore.  If you were like me and having connectivity issues, my router is asymmetrically placed in the house, so a daisy chain worked better than the spoke and wheel default.  Try it!

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7