Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi 6 Netflix compatibility

pendes
Aspirant

Orbi Wifi 6 Netflix compatibility

Morning, I am intending on purchasing an Orbi WiFi 6 ( two satellites, one router). I am concerned about the Netflix compatibility issues which I have read on various threads on this website. Seems most of the comments are from a few months ago, so I was wondering whether this issue has been fixed by Netgear or if it something which is still an ongoing issue. If it is the former, then great; if it is the latter, then my question is as follows.

I have virtually zero (tech) knowledge of routers etc. There are many very detailed replies by folks on this forum helping other users with these compatibility issues. Due to my ignornace, I am not entirely sure if there is one fool-proof procedure for resolving this - and whether I am capable of doing this. I dont want to spend £1,000 on this set-up, only to have my three teenagers moaning about a lack of Netflix connectivity!  I am in the UK - so wondering if this is also a global Orbi issue, too?

Lastly, the Orbi WiFi 6 (AX6000 / RBK852) is beyong my familiy's current needs but happy to future-proof with it. I suspect the RBK53 / AC3000 would be much more relevant to us now. However, (1) is that model still being sold and (2) does that experience the same Netflix compaibility issues, too?

Many thanks for your help. 

Message 1 of 5
KMDonlon
Luminary

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 Netflix compatibility

Netflix working fine here, never had any issue
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX and Netflix do not have any current known compability problems. Ive had my system since last year and did not see any issues. 

One issue that can cause problems with any wifi router is having a router upstream from the orbi router. Some ISP modems and ONTs have built in routers. This can cause problems. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@pendes wrote:

Morning, I am intending on purchasing an Orbi WiFi 6 ( two satellites, one router). I am concerned about the Netflix compatibility issues which I have read on various threads on this website. Seems most of the comments are from a few months ago, so I was wondering whether this issue has been fixed by Netgear or if it something which is still an ongoing issue. If it is the former, then great; if it is the latter, then my question is as follows.

I have virtually zero (tech) knowledge of routers etc. There are many very detailed replies by folks on this forum helping other users with these compatibility issues. Due to my ignornace, I am not entirely sure if there is one fool-proof procedure for resolving this - and whether I am capable of doing this. I dont want to spend £1,000 on this set-up, only to have my three teenagers moaning about a lack of Netflix connectivity!  I am in the UK - so wondering if this is also a global Orbi issue, too?

Lastly, the Orbi WiFi 6 (AX6000 / RBK852) is beyong my familiy's current needs but happy to future-proof with it. I suspect the RBK53 / AC3000 would be much more relevant to us now. However, (1) is that model still being sold and (2) does that experience the same Netflix compaibility issues, too?

Many thanks for your help. 

Message 3 of 5
pendes
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it works for you. Come back if you need more information or help. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7