Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi 6 missing config command

Orbi Wifi 6 missing config command

I just bought an AX6000/RBK852. When I go to debug mode and enable telnet, I can log in fine. But the "config" command that was there on my old Orbi is missing. I need to be able to split my wifi into 2.4 and 5ghz ssid's or a lot of my home automation devices refuse to connect. What am I missing? 

Message 1 of 22

For the record I've tried setting it with the "uci" command, but it doesn't survive a reboot. I type:

uci set wireless.FhAp2.ssid="networknamegoeshere"

uci commmit

reboot

And before the reboot if I type "uci get wireless.FhAp2.ssid" it does return the network name that I set. 

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSIDs is not supported by NG or Orbi AX nor Orbi AC offically. Not sure if Orbi AX will ever support backend telnet commands. Something to post about there though:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

We are hoping that NG will implement the disabling of SSID names on either frequency like they did on Orbi AC. This help users get there 2.4Ghz devices connected to Orbi AC with out having to separate SSID name...not sure when that will happen. We hope for it though on Orbi AX. 

If this doesn't work for you then you may need to return to the Orbi AC system until such time as the Orbi AX FW has matured more and has some added features.

Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@plainblackguy wrote:

I just bought an AX6000/RBK852. When I go to debug mode and enable telnet, I can log in fine. But the "config" command that was there on my old Orbi is missing. I need to be able to split my wifi into 2.4 and 5ghz ssid's or a lot of my home automation devices refuse to connect. What am I missing? 

You can use the nvram set command instead of config set so:

• nvram set ....
  • nvram commit
Message 4 of 22

Thank you so much for your reply. I've already sent the unit back to Amazon after reading a bunch of threads and realizing that Netgear doesn't seem to think this is a problem. I get that mesh networks are supposed to all be seamless between 5 and 2.4, but the reality in the smarthome market is very different right now and for the forseeable future. So I have returned my Orbi and bought the new Velop. 

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not a NG problem. Its how NG intends to use and design there systems. It works for the most part.

The main problem is that the client or IoT device mfrs limit there setup software to only the 2.4Ghz frequency. However they fail to realized that dual band devices like phone and pads can connect to either frequency and both frequencies are ON the same side of the network. So the phone or connecting devices or Orbi doesn't care which frequency for the setup device, it's the Mfrs setup software that seems to require the setup device, ie. phone or pad, to be connected to only the 2.4Ghz radio. Orbi AC helps with this with giving users the ability to disable the 5G SSID broadcast. We are hoping the NG will do the same for Orbi AX. If the IoT Mfrs put in 5Ghz support in there setup software for the setup phone or pad, users would be happy for this and we not be talking about this.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 22

No, it is a Netgear problem, but it's not a technology problem, it's a philosophical one.  They choose to design a device in a way that does not meet the current market realities. I understand that if IoT device designers were smart they wouldn't design their devices the way they do. But the fact is that they do. And dreaming that you live in a world where things are as perfect as you'd like them to be is, rather than the world that you live in, is a huge mistake. I have no doubt that the Orbi is technically the best mesh router on the market. But a lot of the people interested in paying $700 for a pair of routers are the same people who are buying a lot of IoT and home automation devices. Some people may be willing to put up with the giant hassle of disconnecting from 5ghz (if that were even an option on Orbi, which it currently isn't) and turning off the broadcast for it and then messing around with your devices. But I'm not one of those people, and looking at the comments on the Netgear forums, it appears that there are thousands of people who are not those people. So while Velop is technically slightly inferior to the Orbi, from a philosophy and market reality perspective they are miles ahead. 

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you would be incorrect. This is a IoT Mfr problem alone. Again, 2.4 and 5Ghz are on the same network. Dual band devices support both frequencies, phones and pads. 2.4 Ghz only IoT devices will not care or ever see 5Ghz. This boils down to the IoT Mfrs setup software being limited to 2.4Ghz on the setup phone or pad. Nothing philosophical about it. Just technical. Other router mfrs letting users split the SSID is just covering up the real cause of the problem. Smart Connect works and has worked for years. These IoT Mfrs need to step up and better there users experience with there products. Should be that hard, however most IoT mfrs are based on build it as cheaply as possible with maximum return so there you have it. Philosophically speaking.

Glad you found something that works for your needs. Orbi works for others including me. Technically speaking. We do hope that NG will help Orbi AX users out with the implenation of letting users disable either SSID name though for IoT setup. 

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 22
ZOOShen
Star

@plainblackguy wrote:

Anyone here want to do some experiment?

go to http : // router IP/debug.htm

enable telnet

and then

telnet to your router IP,

cd /etc/config

and then edit the "wireless" file for the 2.4ghz SSID (may be using vi). Reboot. to see if that will work...

I can't play with that, because many ppl in my house is using the router..

Message 9 of 22
gb777
Apprentice

How do you enable telnet on the debug page?

Mine shows:

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

CPU Load: 13.79%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 438 MB/866 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 01:35:13

Debug Log Capture

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

Message 10 of 22
ekhalil
Master

In the latest firmware, telnet is always enabled, so there is no checkbox for that any longer. 

Message 11 of 22
gb777
Apprentice

I have been trying to reply to your post with a statement that the telnet interface is not automatically enabled after a reboot and with instructions on how to enable it. 

Because otherwise, wow.

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that did you have telnet enabled already and upgraded FW since prior version that had telnet as a debug web page available in the UI and have not done a factory reset? I've done a reset and telnet is not enabled for me. I would presume that by default telnet is not enabled if a FW update and factory reset is performed. 

@ekhalil wrote:

In the latest firmware, telnet is always enabled, so there is no checkbox for that any longer. 

Message 13 of 22
AceHack
Aspirant

I'm on an AX6000 and I can't get 2nd wifi split out to survive a reboot.

If I run

uci set wireless.FhAp2.ssid="WiFi2GName"
uci commit
/etc/init.d/wireless restart

This will make a 2nd wifi show up for a period of time until a reboot.

Also "config" is not on the system.

And with nvram, wl_ssid is always set to NETGEAR no matter what I do, and setting wla_ssid only changed the wifi name in the netgear UI nowhere else.  setting wlh_ssid will change both the 2G and 5G ssid.

Any suggestions?

Message 14 of 22
kmpoaquests
Aspirant

has no one found a solution for this, NG is seriously being ret@rted here, It's not like we're trying to unlock their software for free games but to avoid having our phones and devices auto connect to bands we DON'T want to use, WTF is the point of purchasing a $500 dollar+ item, we are power users not idiotic apple users that want one touch simplicity.

I've spent over 3 hours today trying to find a solution, will probably send this back to Costco pronto.

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of SSIDs is NOT supported on Orbi systems. Something the NG doesn't want to give to there users. Most cases the Orbi systems worth with single SSIDs. I haven't had any problems in using it as designed. If this doesn't seem to work for you or accept NGs intended design, then return it and find something that does. 

Message 16 of 22
Lavarock
Aspirant

I too will be returning my router to Costco for full refund.

I was using a different model Netgear router and though this would be better. Boy was I wrong.

Techies here can spout why having a single SSID is great and how the specs call for whatever, but in real life, it is "not readfy for prime time".

My neighbot had an Orbi with issues and I should have remembered that. That system would not link up with his Roomba-type device. He alternated between support with both companies and found that the Orbi could not split the wifis or SSIDs or turn one off to configure his device. I suggested he take his Roomba down the road intil he was out of the 5ghz rang as 2.4 goes further. He tried that but finally used aluminum foil to deaded the signal to get to be able t oconfigure the device.

So in my case, I swapped routers and found all sorts of reconfiguration issues. My Ambient Weather station has been off the air since the switcch and it does not see the SSID at all. I refuse to do a hard rest on that device. Then I putrchased a couple of Victor wifi mousetraps and they also cannot see the 2.4 ghz signal.

Whether these manufactors should have done something different is beside the point. It is easier and more cost effective to retuirn this router than to upgrade or changes ther devices in the house.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Smart Connect is based on having a signal SSID and has been prime time since 2012. IF your wifi devices are having problems connecting to Orbi or any kind of Smart Connect based wifi router since 2012, then those Mfrs needs to bring there devices support an wifi specs into prime time. Orbi only provides the platform for devices to connect too. It fully up to device Mfrs to ensure they are also following wifi specs and that there devices are working with wifif router. It's Not the router mfrs responsbility. Stop blaming them!

Once can tests some of there problems by temporarily disabling AX mode. Set CTS value to 2347. Set WPA to disable temporarily to see if any of the problem devices sees or can connect to an open Wifi signal at all. Re-enable WPA after testing. 

Unoffical modification for those who wish to try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Good Luck.

@Lavarock wrote:

I too will be returning my router to Costco for full refund.

I was using a different model Netgear router and though this would be better. Boy was I wrong.

Techies here can spout why having a single SSID is great and how the specs call for whatever, but in real life, it is "not readfy for prime time".

My neighbot had an Orbi with issues and I should have remembered that. That system would not link up with his Roomba-type device. He alternated between support with both companies and found that the Orbi could not split the wifis or SSIDs or turn one off to configure his device. I suggested he take his Roomba down the road intil he was out of the 5ghz rang as 2.4 goes further. He tried that but finally used aluminum foil to deaded the signal to get to be able t oconfigure the device.

So in my case, I swapped routers and found all sorts of reconfiguration issues. My Ambient Weather station has been off the air since the switcch and it does not see the SSID at all. I refuse to do a hard rest on that device. Then I putrchased a couple of Victor wifi mousetraps and they also cannot see the 2.4 ghz signal.

Whether these manufactors should have done something different is beside the point. It is easier and more cost effective to retuirn this router than to upgrade or changes ther devices in the house.

Message 18 of 22
FireDawg00
Aspirant

This is a Netgear problem.  Not just having IoT devices not connecting, it is the speed.  Most of my devices in the house are 5ghz capable of gigabit speeds.  When I want to us a device, they almost always connect to the 2.4ghz frequency and only at 144 Mbps.  Now why would I pay $700 for a router, AX wireless cards for my computer and buy a laptop with AX capability to always (99% of the time) be limited to the 2.4 ghz slow band!  My previous routers gave me the chance to name each band a different name so I can use my 2.4 when needed and force the 5ghz when I need.  My IoT devices are fixed and do not move so a mesh network is not really needed for those devices because they do not move and need to bounce from one satellite to another.  NG, really needs to get in line with its customer base and add the features it's customers want.

I understand that some customers do not care what band they are on or even care to understand what the bands mean or do; they just want it to work.  But those customers do not buy a $700 router.  I purchased this hoping to have some control of my own network and if I want to name my SSID different name’s I should have that capability.  Naming an SSID does not change the function or reliability of the mesh network.  I understand that 5ghz does not have the same distance capability as 2.4 but I purchased a device that covers and advertised 5000 SF home and I have a 3500 SF home.  I think the 5 ghz would cover that. 

Simply put, I want to control what band my systems connect to and NG should know this.  Asking all the IoT manufacturers to play by NG’s rules is ridiculous!  That is like Good Year asking all the care manufacturers to change how they build a car so it’s tires will fit.  NG should be supporting all the IoT devices like all other companies do, including their own non-mesh routers.

Sorry for the long rant, but I have worked in the IT field as a System admin and Network engineer for over 20 years and in my professional and personal IT ventures I have never been more disappointed in a company’s stance on blaming the NG issues on other companies to conform to them.  I have used NG for all my networking needs, and this will change my network supplier for work and home use.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has been using the smart connect feature on Orbi systems and hasn't allowed users to assign or control the frequencies with disabling smart connect since Orbi first came out. 

If thats someting that you need then you'll need to find something else that works for you then. Users have asked about this and NG hasn't relented. So I presume NG is keeping it like it is. If this doesn't work for you then find something that does. 

Good Luck. 

@FireDawg00 wrote:

This is a Netgear problem.  Not just having IoT devices not connecting, it is the speed.  Most of my devices in the house are 5ghz capable of gigabit speeds.  When I want to us a device, they almost always connect to the 2.4ghz frequency and only at 144 Mbps.  Now why would I pay $700 for a router, AX wireless cards for my computer and buy a laptop with AX capability to always (99% of the time) be limited to the 2.4 ghz slow band!  My previous routers gave me the chance to name each band a different name so I can use my 2.4 when needed and force the 5ghz when I need.  My IoT devices are fixed and do not move so a mesh network is not really needed for those devices because they do not move and need to bounce from one satellite to another.  NG, really needs to get in line with its customer base and add the features it's customers want.

I understand that some customers do not care what band they are on or even care to understand what the bands mean or do; they just want it to work.  But those customers do not buy a $700 router.  I purchased this hoping to have some control of my own network and if I want to name my SSID different name’s I should have that capability.  Naming an SSID does not change the function or reliability of the mesh network.  I understand that 5ghz does not have the same distance capability as 2.4 but I purchased a device that covers and advertised 5000 SF home and I have a 3500 SF home.  I think the 5 ghz would cover that. 

Simply put, I want to control what band my systems connect to and NG should know this.  Asking all the IoT manufacturers to play by NG’s rules is ridiculous!  That is like Good Year asking all the care manufacturers to change how they build a car so it’s tires will fit.  NG should be supporting all the IoT devices like all other companies do, including their own non-mesh routers.

Sorry for the long rant, but I have worked in the IT field as a System admin and Network engineer for over 20 years and in my professional and personal IT ventures I have never been more disappointed in a company’s stance on blaming the NG issues on other companies to conform to them.  I have used NG for all my networking needs, and this will change my network supplier for work and home use.

Message 20 of 22
ERock9er
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  do you work for Netgear or what?  Every string I can find where users are trying to solve this problem, you are just there on every one saying it's not a NG problem.  Clearly it is or so many people wouldn't be trying so hard to solve this issue.  NG needs to quit burying their head in the sand and wake up to the reality that many, many users are extremely frustrated by the lack of functionality and optionality on their very expensive router.  Yes, it would be nice if it all just worked and other device manufacturers did their part, but they don't, so NG needs to allow their router to function in the real world, not the one they wish existed.

I've had problems for 6 months with mine, and now I need to find something else, which really frustrates me, because I thought was buying the best.

Message 21 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ERock9er wrote:

Yes, it would be nice if it all just worked and other device manufacturers did their part, but they don't, so NG needs to allow their router to function in the real world, not the one they wish existed.

In brief, there are about three issues:

1. You facing an IoT discovery/installation App insisting to connect or use a 2.4GHz wireless SSID. Nothing Netgear can do. Solution: Talk to the IoJ/App maker to remove this check or allow to continue the installation regardless.
  2. You are facing problems where wireless clients like IoJ, printers, household equipment, ... are known to be configured for the correct SSID and password. There are wireless drivers on this equipment, which can be picky or fail due the additional information related to WiFi 5, to seamless roaming, ...  Nothing Netgear can do. Solution: Talk to the IoJ/App maker to remove this check or allow to continue the installation regardless.
  3. You are facing the issue your Windows 10 system can't see the new Orbi system. Some system vendors and even Windows Update supplied drivers are hopelessly outdated. Nothing Netgear can do. Solution: Update the wireless adapter driver.
  4. You are facing issues no IoJ and few older phones/tablets fail to connect to your Orbi AX system. Well possible you are security aware, and have configured the wireless security to WPA3-Personal [SAE] (thinking I was reading it's compatible with older security settings). If configured to WPA3, only WPA3-compatible wireless clients can connect, WPA(TKIP) only or WPA2(AES) devices can't.
  5. You find Netgear (or another router/Mesh/AP vendor) has allowed a WPA3-SAE/WPA2-Personal mixed mode, but IoJ or other wireless clients dont connect. One one hand, this does deny using WPA(TKIP) on old wireless clients. On the other hand many wireless clients (or probably also the wireless radio firmware makers) have problems connecting, regardless if these wireless clients are supposed to work with WPA3-SAE or WPA2-Personal. This is something the industry has to work on ... Netgear might have - for this very reason - not released this mixed mode variant to the customers.
  6. You find that following a power loss and recovery, all IoJ connect to the router instead of the nearer satellite, and don't change the sticky connection even after hours to a satellite. One factor here is that the wireless device is not making use of the standardized Mesh capabilities (which would tell the client about alternate ESSID (radio MAC) for the wireless network name it's connected to. solution: Talk to the IoJ maker. If there are no Mesh friendly code is available, the wireless client will remain sticky. Here Netgear should deassign the sticky client, triggering a new evaluation for possible better connection. This is an area where Netgear (and other Mesh makers) could improve. 
  7. I understand a heavy IoT user might have had a dumb router enforcing dedicated SSIDs by radio band. Renaming resp. reconfiguring the IoT does take reasonable effort. Possible approach would be looking into an Orbi Pro WiFi 6 AX system, where Entgear has support for multiple SSIDs configured. 

So you see: It's by far not every problem on a modern Mesh system related to the Mesh system maker.

@ERock9er wrote:

I've had problems for 6 months with mine, and now I need to find something else, which really frustrates me, because I thought was buying the best.

Would you mind to let us know what problem you are facing?

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7