Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Wifi6: Device Model with special characters prevents device list from displaying in Web UI

ScottD67
Star

Orbi Wifi6: Device Model with special characters prevents device list from displaying in Web UI

I've been having intermittent issues with my Device List displaying on the Web UI and I'm almost positive it is because I used a special character (double quote) in the Device Model field.  All devices show up fine in the iOS app and all devices show up in the Web UI if either device with the special character is offline, but as soon as I plug either back in and I click "attached devices" the list is empty.   Rebooting doesn't help. 

In future I'll just avoid this but I'm trying to find out if there is a way to delete this the device name/MAC binding through the iOS app or the telnet debug interface so I can avoid a factory reset and having to reenter a bunch of data again.

RBR850

V3.2.9.2_1.2.4 Firmware

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
ScottD67
Star

Re: Orbi Wifi6: Device Model with special characters prevents device list from displaying in Web UI

Now I'm 100% sure that this was the issue and Netgear has a bug or two that needs to be fixed. I've talked to tech support and they are looking into it. 

Here's what I found and how I resolved it:

- I gave up and did a factory reset which did NOT resolve the issue.  The device name to MAC data persists even over a factory reset -- that's also a bug. 

- I figured out how to get into debug mode, telneted into the router and found that the device information is stored in a text file in /tmp/devices .  I used vi to remove the " character from the option model string and after saving and rebooting I can see all of my devices again.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
ScottD67
Star

Now I'm 100% sure that this was the issue and Netgear has a bug or two that needs to be fixed. I've talked to tech support and they are looking into it. 

Here's what I found and how I resolved it:

- I gave up and did a factory reset which did NOT resolve the issue.  The device name to MAC data persists even over a factory reset -- that's also a bug. 

- I figured out how to get into debug mode, telneted into the router and found that the device information is stored in a text file in /tmp/devices .  I used vi to remove the " character from the option model string and after saving and rebooting I can see all of my devices again.  

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What device are you using with a special character? 

Something I haven't seen as of with with mine. 

Using the UI or pressing the back reset button for 15 seconds should clear all configurations and factory reset the system. I use either of these two methods and they work for me.

@ScottD67 wrote:

I've been having intermittent issues with my Device List displaying on the Web UI and I'm almost positive it is because I used a special character (double quote) in the Device Model field.  All devices show up fine in the iOS app and all devices show up in the Web UI if either device with the special character is offline, but as soon as I plug either back in and I click "attached devices" the list is empty.   Rebooting doesn't help. 

In future I'll just avoid this but I'm trying to find out if there is a way to delete this the device name/MAC binding through the iOS app or the telnet debug interface so I can avoid a factory reset and having to reenter a bunch of data again.

RBR850

V3.2.9.2_1.2.4 Firmware

Message 3 of 9
ScottD67
Star

I can modify the Device Model of any device in the Attached Devices page by adding a double quote (") and cause the problem to happen, it isn't device specific.  For example I have a Macbook that I named Macbook Pro 15" and that caused the problem.

I used the back button reset and that did clear the configuration for my wifi networks, etc but it did not clear the device information that you manually add in the Attached Devices view.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Users should not be using (") quotes then. I believe they not are supported at all in the device naming field. 

Message 5 of 9
Chuck_M
Mentor

This was also an issue with the RBK50 Orbi...  You should never use special characters in names, labels, etc as they may not be parsed properly.

Message 6 of 9
ScottD67
Star

In hindsight I realize that now, but If that's the case the software team should prevent special characters from being entered in the first place. That's software 101.  Its an easy work around once you understand that you shouldn't use these characters it but its painful to fix (especially since tech support had no clue) once you are in that situation.  

Message 7 of 9
Chuck_M
Mentor

Well I fell into that trap as well and it took me forever to figure it out on the RBR50.  It really caused some wonky behavior.

Glad you figured out how to back out of it... and you are right, they need to filter that stuff out.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Iagree, the FW should be giving feedback or a error message about not using special or specific characters that the FW doesn't support. 

Maybe NG can implement this. 

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7