Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

HouTex1776
Aspirant

Orbi model #AX4200 - new to Orbi and looking for some setup advice

Sorry, if I double posted this but I believe I had it in the wrong area to start with.

Hello, I recently purchased the Orbi AX4200 system to cure dead spots in our home.  

We have Xfinity here with an all-in-one modem/router.  (Vendor: Technicolor, Model: CGM4140COM)  At least I think that is correct.  I logged into http://10.0.0.1 and pulled the info from there.

I've been doing some reading as to how to connect but didn't see anything specific to this particular model from xfinity.  I can see in the xfinity gateway where I can put the router into bridge mode which is what I read as the correct thing to do.  I also saw something about turning off the WiFi hotspots but don't see anything in the settings to do that?  Do I need to call Xfinity for that?

I also read about connecting the Orbi router and satellites all together first before connecting to the Xfinity modem.  

Basically I'm just curious what the best way is to go about this in a step by step manner.  I don't feel like screwing up our whole network as we have children at home doing virtual school and I also work from home so...lol

Appreciate any tips or insight anyone that knows what they're doing can provide.

If you need any additional info just let me know.

Message 1 of 8
res1983
Guide

If you are able to log into your router/modem, I would try to locate the feature to turn off WiFi on the router. (I don't have Xfinity but have used other carriers with same setup). If you don't want turn off the Xfinity Wifi, then you can always run your units in AP mode. 

Does that make sense?

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@HouTex1776 wrote:

Sorry, if I double posted this but I believe I had it in the wrong area to start with.

Hello, I recently purchased the Orbi AX4200 system to cure dead spots in our home.  

We have Xfinity here with an all-in-one modem/router.  (Vendor: Technicolor, Model: CGM4140COM)  At least I think that is correct.  I logged into http://10.0.0.1 and pulled the info from there.

I've been doing some reading as to how to connect but didn't see anything specific to this particular model from xfinity.  I can see in the xfinity gateway where I can put the router into bridge mode which is what I read as the correct thing to do.  I also saw something about turning off the WiFi hotspots but don't see anything in the settings to do that?  Do I need to call Xfinity for that?

if the modem can be fully bridged, then the wifi on the modem should be fully disabled as well when in bridge mode. Something to contact the ISP about for additional help and information regarding there equipement.

I also read about connecting the Orbi router and satellites all together first before connecting to the Xfinity modem.  

Yes you can do that. It's recommended to turn OFF the modem and orbi host router (RBR) for 30 seconds, connect the two together, then turn ON the modem first then RBR. Should connect and get internet services after that. 

Basically I'm just curious what the best way is to go about this in a step by step manner.  I don't feel like screwing up our whole network as we have children at home doing virtual school and I also work from home so...lol

Appreciate any tips or insight anyone that knows what they're doing can provide.

If you need any additional info just let me know.

30ft distance or more between the RBR and RBS is recommended.

Message 3 of 8
HouTex1776
Aspirant

I think so...basically run the Orbi router in access point mode and then have the orbi satellites connect to the Orbi router that way?

What's the more efficient way to set it up?  I need to keep the xinifty modem because it's cable and that's how I get my signal.  I don't really have an issue with speeds just the dead spots.

I honestly don't care about using the xfinity router if the Orbi router will perform better.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can either let the ISP modem work as a router and configure the RBR for AP mode and let the modem router do all the IP addressing, or you can configure the modem for bridge mode, then set the RBR for router mode and the modem in bridge mode will just pass the internet services to the RBR and the RBR will handle the IP addressing and everything else. 

Message 5 of 8
res1983
Guide

Hello HouTex1776,

It all comes back to personal preference on how you want to set up. You bought the Orbi to decrease the dead spots within your house. You have options.

If you let the modem/router do all the work and the Orbi is setup to extend signal throughout the house than go that way.

If you want the Orbi to run everything, then turn off the WiFi of the Xfinity unit and let the Orbi run it all.

If it was my setup, I would use the Orbi as the Router.

I hope that helps?!
Message 6 of 8
HouTex1776
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies!

Got everything up and running last night.

Have the xfinity equipment in bridge mode and the Orbi running the show.  Using the Orbi speed test I'm getting 590mbps down and around 20 up all throughout the house.  This compared to some spots in the house prior that were seeing 8 down si needless to say I'm pretty happy.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Make sure you do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time of a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7