Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi setup

Silvconv
Aspirant

Orbi setup

About to convert to orbi 6 mesh.  Currently have several devices operating on 2.4 ghz band.  Have i understood correctly it is best to rename orbi network same as old network and same password and "hopefully" 2.4 and 5 devices will be "fooled" into thinking it's same network and after booting router will come up and be online?  I'm also assuming since currently i have a dual band router that I should rename using the 2.4 band network?  Thank you for any assistance.  Hate to have to go thru every device and try to get online with orbi.

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi setup

Yes, it's recommended to use same SSID name and PW as whats used on your current router. Espeically for 2.4Ghz devices. 

You can do this, first set up the new system with out it being connected to the ISP modem. You can do this with 1 wired PC. When you get it setup with same SSID name and PW, place the RBR in same location as current router. Reboot the ISP Modem or power cycle it OFF and back ON. Disconnect the old router from the ISP modem, leaving the old router still ON. Connect the new router to the ISP modem and turn it ON. Wait for the front LED to stop blinking WHITE. May see BLUE. When you see this, turn OFF the old router. Your devices should auto connect to the new router. I've done this a few times when using a new router. Works well if you use same SSID name and PW. 

Message 2 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Quick follow up ques if i may. Should i get my new modem online with spectrum as a first step?

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you could. I would ask them first what they support. Spectrum does not have historical good support for user owned modems. 

Message 4 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Do you have a second option re initial setup?  I use an ipad and don't even own a pc.  Thanks

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use the iPad. 

Message 6 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

I have read somewhere on this site of some folks needing to change the wifi settings (?) for some of the 2.4 device where orbi has a default of like 11 (?) and they had to manually lower it and then 2.4 device worked fine.  Forgive my probably incorrect terminology, but are you familiar with that process?  I'd love to have all the 2.4 devices jump right online with orbi, but am reading that sometimes is not the case.  Have you had to do some workarounds in that regard?  And thanks again for your time and expertise

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You can change wifi channels if needed on the routers web page if needed.

Message 8 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

One more question, if I may.  I'm sure i'm overthinking this, but with the router having a user name and password, and then the network i want to copy having a user name and password, when i set up orbi to mimmick the old router do i use network name and pw?  Forgive my ignorance, but terms like ssid, ip address, user name seem confusing to me as far as the transition and what to copy.  Thanks again

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok there are two log ins, one is the RBR/RBS web page log in that gets you into the managment web pages(admin and password). There is there is the SSID name and password fir the wifi signal. Be sure to use the SSID name and PW if you want to migrate that same name and password to the new router system for it's Wfifi login (SSID name and password). You can use same SSID name and PW used on prior router system. 

Do not use the web page managment page log in info (admin and pw) for the SSID log in info. 

Message 10 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Quick follow-up ques if i may. Attempting to set up orbi, new modem all up and authenticated with spectrum. When trying to load orbi thru app, it is forcing me to plug ethernet to modem before i can go further. Not sure how to set up with same name and pw  as old router without plugging into modem.  Your thoughts?  Thanks

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please use a wired PC or laptop connected to the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR. This should guide you thru the setup process. If you got the modem connected to the ISP service, you may need to power OFF the modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then power ON the modem then RBR, then walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 12 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Modem is a netgear cm2000. Don't even own a pc or laptop. Using an ipad.  Maybe i misunderstood, but i was trying to run setup thru orbi app without plugging i to modem in order to rename?

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so yes you can try using Orbi app. It should ask you about naming the SSID I believe during the setup. You need to connect the RBR to the modem...

Message 14 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Got it.  Yes, it is requiring me to plug into modem to move forward with setup process.  Im hoping i can rename after plugging in and still have my 2.4 and 5 devices migrate over ok?

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, should be able too give a SSID custom name. 

Message 16 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Hi, bud. Hoping to bother you yet again with another question.  Got all set up and seems to work fine, 2.4 devices migrated over fine and speed has increased.  Question is i have 2 sarellites as some devices are a bit of a distance, but the satellites are showing no devices and all devices are on router.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might reboot the RBR only and see if devices migrate to the RBS. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. 

You can also reduce the power output on the RBR as well and see if this helps. Mostly will depend on when devices will connect to the RBS. Give it some time as well. 

Message 18 of 20
Silvconv
Aspirant

Thanks. Will try that.  What is the internet web site address apart from the app to access some more detailed things.  Is reducing rbr power output self explanatory on that site?  Thx

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation