Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi wifi 6 RBR850 hardwire speeds slow

acebeforejack
Aspirant

Orbi wifi 6 RBR850 hardwire speeds slow

I recently upgraded my home wifi to the newest Orbi wifi 6 imesh, (RBR850) Before i changed out my other router i tested my speeds hardwired and wirless. I am getting 1g thru comcast.. Before i switch routers i was getting 750-900 mbps ( hard wire ) No after upgrading to Orbi im getting 300 mbps on the same computer... At times it will jump up to 700 but before the test is over it goes all the way down to 350 or lower..  Thats one issue im trying to solve.. Another one is, when my iphone 11 is hooked to wireless and i do a speed test  ( near the router ) and i get 800-900 mbps, But if i go in the living room where the satellite is i only get 400 or so mbps.. Isnt the point of the satellite to get the max speeds all around the house? Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you sure you are connected to the RBS in the living room with the phone? Besure that when you move near the RBS, turn OFF the iphones wifi for 5 seconds then back on so it will connect to the RBS. 

Download and install WiFi Sweet Spots on the iphone to check the connection rate between the iPhone and RBR and RBS.

Message 2 of 23
acebeforejack
Aspirant

Firmware Version
V3.2.8.5_1.2.3

Modem is a arris Model sb8200

Ill try the sweet spot app and try reconecting the iphone to wifi. Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

Are there any switches involved in the wiring>?

Message 4 of 23
McLong
Apprentice

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Speedtest GigE hardwired are slower than WiFi.

Message 5 of 23
switters
Apprentice

I'm experiencing the same thing. Just posted another thread about it, but following here.

I have Xfinity gigabit and my house is wired for ethernet. Before I installed Orbi Mesh, my iMac Pro in my home office was getting ~930 Mbps down.

After installing Orbi, it was getting only 200-300 Mbps!

Message 6 of 23
acebeforejack
Aspirant

No switches , hardwired 5 ft away from the Orbi router - Same wire and distance as when I had the old router , Crazy thing is, I plugged a laptop in the router (next to my pc) run the same speed test and it comes back 840mbps.. My main PC reads 317mbps - same upload though. Before I changed to Orbi everything that was hardwire would read 700-900 mbps
Message 7 of 23
switters
Apprentice

Similar thing here.

iMac Pro > Ethernet wall port > Xfinity router = 930 Mbps

MacBook Pro > USB to Ethernet adapter > Xfinity router = 930 Mbps

Either computer > Ethernet > Orbi AX > Xfinity modem = 80-200 Mbps

I actually disconnected the Orbi system and went back to Xfinity + xFi pods until I figure this out. The speed of my wired connection for my iMac Pro is more important than faster wireless (and I wasn’t really even getting that with Orbi).

I’m considering Unifi wireless access points as an alternative.
Message 8 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

Do either of you have anything on your network (hard wired) like Sonos speakers?

Message 9 of 23
switters
Apprentice

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but yes, I do. I have a wired Sonos setup. This means that I had a Sonos Play:1 plugged in to one of the LAN ports of the Orbi router. 

That worked just fine when it was plugged into a switch connected to the Xfinity router. Is there a problem with that with Orbi?

Message 10 of 23
acebeforejack
Aspirant

I do have Sonos speakers but they are over WiFi .. The only thing direct wire is the computer, laptop, and a splitter box ( upstairs in theater room ) but I’m not having problems with anything up there. It’s weird because I check speeds constantly ( over WiFi and direct ) and always seems to be up and down .
Message 11 of 23
acebeforejack
Aspirant

Switters, are you running the Orbi with the XFi modem them provided ? I just updated to XFi to get unlimited.. They shipped me the XFi modem unit, but I’m still using my Arris modem .
Message 12 of 23
McLong
Apprentice

No Sonos speakers. The only device connected to the router by Cat6 is a Sony TV. Everything else is connected Via WiFi.
Message 13 of 23
switters
Apprentice

Yes, I have the XB6 modem/router they provided. I put it in Bridge Mode whe. I set up the Orbi.
Message 14 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

If you have Sonos (and are using Sonosnet -- which you should) be sure that you have one 1 wired entry point into Sonos (e.g. bridge or direct hard wiring to a speaker).

Recommend you disconnect sonos from your router.... and run speed test again and see if your results are different.   

Sonos works great with Orbi, as long as you have it connected properly.   

I saw an instance yesterday where there were two speakers in a constellation that were connected hard wired and it caused the Orbi speed to be so slow.  By disconnecting one of the speakers, all resolved itself and speed picked up to normal... and Sonos worked just fine because you only need ONE speaker connected as an entry point to the network.

Message 15 of 23
switters
Apprentice

I have a Sonos Play:1 connected to the router. All other Sonos speakers are in wireless configuration. So, at least in my case, seems like this probably isn't the issue. 

Still, I might try disconnecting all Sonos speakers to see if that solves the problem. 

Message 16 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

I recommend to make sure you are using SONOSNET and not the Wifi on your router.  Sonos has the ability of forming its own independant mesh network.... just make sure you pick an unused channel.

Message 17 of 23
switters
Apprentice

Yes, I have one Sonos speaker plugged in, which created the SONOSET network. 

Message 18 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

Once you do that, I (and SONOS) recommend you go back in the app and remove any wireless network authentication that may be in there to force your sonos system to stay on SONOSnet and not your WIFI.

Message 19 of 23
switters
Apprentice

Thank you. Sonos support didn't mention this.

Does this article explain what you mean?

Message 20 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

Yes.. doing that prevents your sonos from going back and forth from WIFI to SONOSNET.

Message 21 of 23
VerneArase
Apprentice

So ... are you LAN (ethernet) speeds back in the expected range?

Was it Sonos messing around with the network?

I have no Sonos, but I rely on the ethernet speeds here, and before I upgrade I need to know that they aren't crippled before I commit to RBK853.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 22 of 23
Chuck_M
Mentor

My LAN speeds -- even with Sonos, Hue, Nest, 16 x cameras, Pool controller, MyQ Garage doors, Video systems, blue rays, Apple phones, android phones, 7 c samsung TVs, Synology NAS (bonded connection), 7 Alexas, and others (about 90 or so total devices) I am sure I forgot -- are blazing fast.

My experience is that once you get the devices properly set up, they run flawlessly.

I am very confident in the AX6000.  

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7