Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbis RBK852 -need to bridge from router to home theater devices 25 feet away

ptyzx
Aspirant

Orbis RBK852 -need to bridge from router to home theater devices 25 feet away

Want to purchase the RBK852 (or RBK853j) for my soon to be installed 1 gig service from Spectrum.  My home is 2 stories and approx 2500 sq ft.  

Current system: My home theater is in the same room as my modem and router.  I use a 4-5 year old WD My Net AC bridge to some of the theater components that require a hard wired connection.  The WD bridge is approx 30 ft from router.  

In order to provide coverage to rest of the house, I will place one of the RBK satellites 50-60 feet away from the router. 

Do I need to purchase the RBK853 and place one of the satellites in the same room as the router in order to provide the hardwired connection for my theater components?  It looks ideal because of its 4 Ethernet ports.  Will placing the satellite 30 feet from router cause any problems?

I'm just a retired housewife but have some experience with networking -- any recommendations are appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbis RBK852 -need to bridge from router to home theater devices 25 feet away

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

RBS should NOT be any closer than this. 

For that size of home, you should only need the 1 RBR and 1 RBS. I have a 5000sq ft home and 1 RBR and 1 RBS work well. 

Message 2 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Orbis RBK852 -need to bridge from router to home theater devices 25 feet away

@ptyzx wrote:

Want to purchase the RBK852 (or RBK853j) for my soon to be installed 1 gig service from Spectrum.  My home is 2 stories and approx 2500 sq ft.  

Current system: My home theater is in the same room as my modem and router.  I use a 4-5 year old WD My Net AC bridge to some of the theater components that require a hard wired connection.  The WD bridge is approx 30 ft from router.  

In order to provide coverage to rest of the house, I will place one of the RBK satellites 50-60 feet away from the router. 

Do I need to purchase the RBK853 and place one of the satellites in the same room as the router in order to provide the hardwired connection for my theater components?  It looks ideal because of its 4 Ethernet ports.  Will placing the satellite 30 feet from router cause any problems?

I'm just a retired housewife but have some experience with networking -- any recommendations are appreciated.

Since your theater system (and other ethernet-enabled devices) are already in your modem & router's room... why not put a simple switch after the RBR850 and use that to provide hard-wired service to your devices?  The other RBS850s can then be put whereever you want in your home.... I am not sure you will need two but it depends on the layout and construction materials of walls and floors.

I use the netgear switch listed below to provide that same kind of feed point for all hard wired devices including RBS50s throughout the property.  As a bonus, it is a smart switch that provides POE to those devices which need it.

On the flip side of all of this, you want to keep your Radio-Frequency environment as clean as possible.... so try and operate with as few satellites as needed to not create an RF environment that is overpowering.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ptyzx wrote:

Message 4 of 14
ptyzx
Aspirant

Thank you for that suggestion.  My biggest concern is the speed between the RBR850 and whatever the wireless device is that will provide Ethernet ports or connect to a switch with Ethernet ports.  Altough I currently have pretty acceptable streaming (haven't measured yet) and my WD My Net AC wireless bridge says it supports 1 gig throughput (think that's an aggregate for the 4 ports), I don't want it to throttle the speed of the RBR850.  Would defeat the purpose.

I'm sitting here looking at the unopened RBK852 package.  Will install it in the next few days and try my existing bridge and test the speeds.  

Message 5 of 14
ptyzx
Aspirant

I responded to Chuck_M above. Will install and test the RBR850 with my existing wireless bridge in the next few days.

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

@ptyzx wrote:

Thank you for that suggestion.  My biggest concern is the speed between the RBR850 and whatever the wireless device is that will provide Ethernet ports or connect to a switch with Ethernet ports.  Altough I currently have pretty acceptable streaming (haven't measured yet) and my WD My Net AC wireless bridge says it supports 1 gig throughput (think that's an aggregate for the 4 ports), I don't want it to throttle the speed of the RBR850.  Would defeat the purpose.

I'm sitting here looking at the unopened RBK852 package.  Will install it in the next few days and try my existing bridge and test the speeds.  

Let me reiterate... if you put a hard wired switch off of the RBR850, you dont need to go wireless to the theater equipment in that room... you would stay at 1GB.    Putting an RBS850 in the same room is not a great idea due to RF Noise.  Put Satellites in the other end or floor of the house!

Message 7 of 14
ptyzx
Aspirant

I think I understood your comment.  There is no Ethernet access between my Modem + router and the home theater components 25 feet away -  opposite sides of the room.  That is why my current setup requires the wireless bridge.  I don't want to open up my ceiling to run the cable.   Are you suggesting the switch does not require a hardwired connection to the router?  I didn't read the entire spec but I didn't see any info re the switch providing a wireless link in the marketing description.  Based n the other recommendations here, I will not place the satellite in the same room -- it will be at other end of the house.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll echo Chucks advise. I would be bet to put a switch behind the RBR and wire up your theater room. I have a theater room and equipment closet where all my cable networking is. Also in this same closet is the back end of my threater room audio and visual devices that are mounted in a rack that faces into the theater room. The closet houses my cable modem, switches and network storage. I then run a couple of LAN cables out from this closet to a half wall with a shelf where my main router sits. 30-40 feet down in the basement is an RBS. About 25-30 feet in the dining room is the 2nd RBS. Both RBS are wired. Can go wireless too. 

@ptyzx wrote:

Message 9 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

If you want to simulate the RF nightmare of having a satellite and router in same proximity do this....

1. Stick your head in a metal trashcan
  2. Set off an airhorn right next to your ear

Too much going on too close to each other.

Take the time and run one piece of cat 6 to do it right.

Message 10 of 14
ptyzx
Aspirant

Again.  I've said this twice.  Since being advised by another poster on this thread, the satellite will be at the other end of the house.  

There will be others with this problem who won't want to (or can't) run cat 6 to other areas of their homes.  

Message 11 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Just giving you advice based on experience my friend.... Take or leave it as you see fit.  You asked the question 🙂

Message 12 of 14
ptyzx
Aspirant

That sounds like the perfect setup.  Unfortunately, running cat 6 cable is not an option for me.

Thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try Power Lines and see if this would work for you then. 

After cabling installation also can be done as well if at some point you wanted to run LAN cables in a existing home that doesn't have LAN cables in wall. 

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7