Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Packet Loss

Zipsy
Aspirant

Packet Loss

Recently the orbi has been really bad and slow even when connected via ethernet. The packet loss is extreme and the ping spikes are great as well. It works fine and then packet loss/stability is poor for a while. Makes it so the wifi is slower and sometimes won't even load. Any way to fix?

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Packet Loss

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure your LAN cables are of good quality. CAT6 is recommended and to run all the same CAT version in cabling between devices and networking devices.

Message 2 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

The model is a RBR750 with and the internet provider is comcast. The modem is also working fine since pinging the gateway is good. The wifi also sometimes doesn't work, in that the wifi sometimes cuts out saying that there is no internet and the satellites say something is wrong. The firmware is also updated.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

Everything is fine and the firmware is updated
This only happens when a certain person is home. I was thinking it has to do with location.
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is this person doing when they are home and connected to the system? 

What devices are they using? 

Message 6 of 20
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Whenever I experience a degradation in performance to the extent you are talking about I would take the Orbi system out of the loop entirely and direct connect your computer with the Comcast modem (not sure if you have a static IP but probably not). After you have power cycled the modem and you are connected to the Internet use a program like PingPlotter (I use a Mac) which will graphically depict any and all packet loss issues as well as average/minimum/current ping times across each node on the Comcast network (do this in the early evening hours of high demand in bandwidth). If it shows packet loss with your Orbi out of the system you now have graphic evidence to send to Comcast which will be undeniable and irrefutable. If you do not have packet loss over an extended period of time (give it about 10-15 minutes of run time) then reconnect your Orbi system to your Comcast modem being sure to power cycle the Comcast router first then after connecting your Orbi router power cycle that as well. From the wireless perspective you need to make sure that your wireless channels are not conflicting with your neighbors by using a program that shows all the wireless networks in your immediate vicinity. If all is well then make sure in the advanced wireless settings on your Orbi that your RTS/CTS threshold is set to 2347 if it shows 64 (some devices do not play well with 64). If you are still have performance issues power off your satellite with only your Orbi router connected to the modem. Run PingPlotter or similar program again and let it run for 10-15 minutes to see if you can replicate the packet loss you describe. Hopefully at least you can identify the source of your packet loss issues if nothing else.

@Zipsy 

@FURRYe38 

Message 7 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

The modem is fine. Problem is not only is it slow sometimes. It also reboots as well and shows the purple light signifying something is wrong. I've tried factory resetting it as well.

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is this person doing when they are home and connected to the system? 

What devices are they using? 

Message 9 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

They are just doing normal web surfing and other stuff like school. They also video call a lot. A thing I've noticed is that even though their computer is closer to the normal router it connects to the satellite still. 

Message 10 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

The devices are a macbook and apple phone. 

Message 11 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

I've realized the problem is a certain satellite that we have. It seems to be broken or something or stopped working and has the purple light on constantly and will disconnect itself. When the router is on only it works really well but the satellite is having problems. 

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset of the RBS and re-sync it to the RBR? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 13 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

Everything was fine. I tried a reset and nothing worked. Now it is just constantly broken when connected via ethernet. Probably just going to return it and get a new one.

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Curious if the RBS does same thing with wireless. Possible the RBS went bad prematurly. 

Message 15 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

maybe. replacing it with the extra one we had made everything fine.

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I would contact NG support and see if you can get the faulty RBS replaced though...

Message 17 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

Hm... It seems that the new satellite also stopped working. I've noticed that it works less well when the satellite is connected to ethernet. And sometimes completely shows breaks when opening a computer connected via ethernet. Can this be a sign of something?

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, not sure if it's faulty HW what. Something to let NG support and your case worker know and keep in contact with them about this. 

Message 19 of 20
Zipsy
Aspirant

ok

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements