Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help! new AX6000 Orbi RBK853 disconnects intermittently, stops relaying packets. Can't game

Meow123
Aspirant

Please Help! new AX6000 Orbi RBK853 disconnects intermittently, stops relaying packets. Can't game

I have the latest firmware, BUT Orbi disconnects games and kicks out of meetings. At intermittent intervals, Orbi will stop relaying the packets that are received. Packets will be sent out properly from my device to the server, but packets will not be sent back all the way to the device. This is indicated by ping spikes right before the disconnects.

Possible issues could be DNS protocols, dynamic vs. static ips for main router/satellites, high traffic 2.4/5/6g gig channels, buggy firmware, or faulty hardware ?? 

This dropping problem did not happen at all with my older Orbi router and satellite that were not WIFI 6. Please help and advise. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Meow123
Aspirant

Re: Please Help! new AX6000 Orbi RBK853 disconnects intermittently, stops relaying packets. Can't ga

Thanks for your advice, FURRYe38. The Orbi Support Phone team suggested that I change the DNS address numbers to a more stable server. That fixed the problem immediately after reboot.

Since the DNS changes, I ran an endurance test, and now for more than 24 hours, there are no more disconnection drops or downtimes. The new Orbi is now running well.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Please Help! new AX6000 Orbi RBK853 disconnects intermittently, stops relaying packets. Can't ga

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 6
Meow123
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V3.2.16.22_1.4.9
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Xfinity Gigabit service with Xfi rented voice and data modem Technicolor CGM4140COM with Serial # 98524A742AD2, Serial Number printed on modem: 152930060073115393  The Xfinity modem router is in bridge mode with the wifi signal turned off, so it doesn’t interfere with the Orbi signal. (When the Xfinity router WiFi signal is enabled, it does not have any of the problems with disconnection drops that the Orbi router is experiencing, so the problem must not be an Xfinity service issue).

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 5,500 sq ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 28 ft. distance between router and satellite in older home (over 100 years) with thick walls and high ceilings. (When the satellites are unplugged, the router still has problems with connection drops, so it must not be a satellite related problem.)

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). I have not disabled any of these suggestions yet, because I called Orbi support, and they suggested I wait 12 to 24 hours after a few of their recommendations including: re-install of same latest firmware, changing 2.4 GHz channel value to 11, and setting MTU to 1492.

I am still having connection drops, frequent downtimes ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes, with huge ping spikes since these Orbi recommended changes, so I will be contacting Orbi support again tomorrow afternoon.

I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions so far!! All help is very much appreciated!   🙂

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 6
Meow123
Aspirant

Thanks for your advice, FURRYe38. The Orbi Support Phone team suggested that I change the DNS address numbers to a more stable server. That fixed the problem immediately after reboot.

Since the DNS changes, I ran an endurance test, and now for more than 24 hours, there are no more disconnection drops or downtimes. The new Orbi is now running well.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Yes DNS is important. ISP is usually preferred. However 2ndary DNS can be used as well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7