Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port Forwarding on Orbi RBR750 Router only works if UpNp is disabled....

mcgarryv
Tutor

Port Forwarding on Orbi RBR750 Router only works if UpNp is disabled....

Hi,

I have a single router in my home setup for years without issue...a Nextlite  modem  provides the 1Gbps input.

I have always used Portfowarding to internal devices without any issue on Netgear Nighthawk & Linksys Routers over the years without any issue. This is the first Orbi that I have bought & it has worked great except for one important issue - port fowarding.

• After an Orbi router reset or a new setting was applied, the Port-Forwarding worked correctly. 
  • However after a few minutes, it would stop working - external diags would show that port was now closed.
  • This behaviour was seen on all ports & devices that were forwarded.

I chatted support without much luck - they suggested to use DMZ server which is not what I want. 

The good news is that after quite a bit of troubleshooting, I finally found a work-around solution:

• Disabling the UPnP (Advanced->Advanced->UPnP) seems to fix the problem.
  • I have been testing this work-around for several days & it seems to work.

By the way, I did not enable the 1-year trial Netgear Armor Security Feature - my understanding is that this is optional - I don't want it for now.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Is there any other "fix" for this?

Thanks in avance,

Vince

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Port Forwarding on Orbi RBR750 Router only works if UpNp is disabled....

Thats not a bug. When ANY kind of manual port forward configuration is configured by a user, then uPnP needs to be disabled. UPnP is an automatic forum of Port Fowarding. It handle most kinds of Port Fowarding needs from devices and apps. In routers manual PF configurations can't be used as the same time as uPnP is enabled. Thus it has to be disabled if PF configurations are set. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats not a bug. When ANY kind of manual port forward configuration is configured by a user, then uPnP needs to be disabled. UPnP is an automatic forum of Port Fowarding. It handle most kinds of Port Fowarding needs from devices and apps. In routers manual PF configurations can't be used as the same time as uPnP is enabled. Thus it has to be disabled if PF configurations are set. 

Message 2 of 6
mcgarryv
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for the update - that supports what behavour I observed.

It would have been nice if Netgear support had suggested me to check this especially since UpNp was enabled by default on my router.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink 

Sometimes you find more experienced information and help in the forums. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
mrdrew
Tutor

Thanks for this post - I also had uPNP turned on. I'm not sure how it got turned on, it was off for quite sometime. Perhaps during a reboot it default'ed its self back on. <shrug>

I found I also had to:

screenshot my port forwarding settings

delete ports

create new Custom Port Forwards for each entry

that brought them back up again one by one.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@mrdrew wrote:

Thanks for this post - I also had uPNP turned on. I'm not sure how it got turned on, it was off for quite sometime. Perhaps during a reboot it default'ed its self back on. <shrug>

I found I also had to:

screenshot my port forwarding settings

delete ports

create new Custom Port Forwards for each entry

that brought them back up again one by one.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7