Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK 852 Satellite Security Type: None

Bpasker
Tutor

RBK 852 Satellite Security Type: None

I have found that my wifi satellite is not secure on the satellite only on 5 ghz. I have tried to reset but when I do it creates a new wifi SID for my 2.4 on my satellite. You can see my mac connecting to this device and stating that it is not secure. I see in 2019 someone had this issue and fixed it with telnet. This is no longer an option so i'm not 100% clear what my next steps are. 

Network Settings:

RBR850_wireless.png

Satellite Status:

RBS850_wireless.png

Mac Connecting to Satellite:

mac.png

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 13
Bpasker
Tutor

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bpasker wrote:

I have found that my wifi satellite is not secure on the satellite only on 5 ghz. I have tried to reset but when I do it creates a new wifi SID for my 2.4 on my satellite. You can see my mac connecting to this device and stating that it is not secure. I see in 2019 someone had this issue and fixed it with telnet. This is no longer an option so i'm not 100% clear what my next steps are. 

Images placed "in-line" using the Photo icon do not appear until approved by a forum moderator (which can take hours - or days).

So, we cannot see them (yet).

Images "attached" using the Browse button (in the lower left) are available immediately.

There is an issue with almost all consumer routers (including Orbi) that their web management interface is deemed "insecure" by modern browsers.

(a) http is by definition "insecure" because it is not encrypted. (b) Orbi's https web interface is also "insecure" because the SSL certificate is "self-signed".

There have been several (very long) posts about this issue.  The bottom line is "that's life. get over it."  The browser is saying, "I'm not absolutely certain you can trust that this web server is really your Orbi device" and my question is, "what the hell else can it be?" (a) it's on your internal LAN (not the internet) and (b) it only gives you access if you know the Orbi password.

Message 5 of 13
Meon
Initiate

It happened to me twice: first time when I set it up a few months ago, and then I realized yesterday that the satellite was again broadcasting the 5Ghz without encryption. It might have been so for months before I noticed it.

This is such an incredibly major security issue... and I see it was already reported in 2019:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/No-Security-5G-wifi-in-RBS40V-when-wired-synced/m-p/1841289

Chances are this will still be here in two years time, and chances are that there are thousands of Netgear customers offering free access to their private network to their neighbours and anyone passing by. This is really, really bad. The security basically just turns off on 5Ghz on the satellite... I did a factory reset, then resync, and this is secured again, but since I don't know that this issue will not be back in the future I think I'll just throw the entire expensive kit away. That is way too risky.

This is RBK753. I'm wired too and I have two switches between the AP router and the satellite (I'm using just one for now). I did the initial configuration before it was wired.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Meon wrote:

It happened to me twice: first time when I set it up a few months ago, and then I realized yesterday that the satellite was again broadcasting the 5Ghz without encryption. It might have been so for months before I noticed it.

This is such an incredibly major security issue... and I see it was already reported in 2019:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/No-Security-5G-wifi-in-RBS40V-when-wired-synced/m-p/1841289

Chances are this will still be here in two years time, and chances are that there are thousands of Netgear customers offering free access to their private network to their neighbours and anyone passing by. This is really, really bad. The security basically just turns off on 5Ghz on the satellite... I did a factory reset, then resync, and this is secured again, but since I don't know that this issue will not be back in the future I think I'll just throw the entire expensive kit away. That is way too risky.

This is RBK753. I'm wired too and I have two switches between the AP router and the satellite (I'm using just one for now). I did the initial configuration before it was wired.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

One of your links isn't working...

Message 9 of 13
fangruoyuan
Guide

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Meon wrote:

Message 11 of 13
Meon
Initiate

Hi,

I have a 752 (actually, not 753 as I mentionned earlier) but I'm using only one satellite for now (I'll use the other one later). I have switched them and the other satellite does not reproduce the issue when wired. But the faulty one actually continues if I use it.

I've tried to factory reset the faulty one, and resync, but it was still showing "security: none" on 5Ghz (when wired).

I have not succeeded in syncing the faulty one over wifi for now but I'll give it another try.

Regards.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the one RBS does not sync correctly, wireless or wired, it'd contact NG support and ask about getting it replaced. 

Good Luck. 

@Meon wrote:

Hi,

I have a 752 (actually, not 753 as I mentionned earlier) but I'm using only one satellite for now (I'll use the other one later). I have switched them and the other satellite does not reproduce the issue when wired. But the faulty one actually continues if I use it.

I've tried to factory reset the faulty one, and resync, but it was still showing "security: none" on 5Ghz (when wired).

I have not succeeded in syncing the faulty one over wifi for now but I'll give it another try.

Regards.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7