Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 Guest Network No Internet and missing checkboxes

d2iguy
Aspirant

RBK53 Guest Network No Internet and missing checkboxes

Fellow Gearheads, I'd like to see if anyone has run into this issue. I just replaced my RBR50 and RBS50 system with the RBK53. In place are the RBR850 and the RBS850. Upon deployment, I upgraded both devices to V3.2.9.2_1.2.4 firmware with success. I have them in AP mode since I use AT&T Fiber + their router. 

I am aware that some features are disabled in AP mode.

Here is the issue: I've turned up the guest network. My wireless devices can connect to it, however, none of them have Internet access. There are only a scant few checkboxes for the guest network so I didn't think this was the issue. However, based on some reading, I think a few checkboxes are missing from my guest network UI. For exampe See attached file. I don't know if these issues are connected but it is worth mentioning. It is possible these features go away in AP mode but the documentation would not lead me to believe that is true. 

Anyone else have the same setup and seeing the same issues?

I appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Guest NW is available in AP mode

There should be a Enable check box. Mines there. I use Opera in OSX currently.

Message 2 of 25
d2iguy
Aspirant

All, I decided to return this item due to a number of issues; a sad statement when you consider I was very pleased with my Orbi RBR50 and 3x RBS50 system that was previously in place. For those considering this system as an upgrade, I would wait a bit longer for the software to be at feature parity with the rest of the Orbi line. Moreover, I received ZERO follow up from Netgear after my initial troubleshooting call. For the record, I am a 25 year network engineer so the issues I detail below are not due to inexperience. And I went through every single firmware, one at a time, and every single checkbox to try and solve these issues:

1. You cannot add or purchase a third satellite at the moment (Netgear says this will eventually come)

2. You cannot add previous generation satellites at the moment (Netgear says this will eventually come)

3. Some g and n-devices will not connect to the RBR850 no matter what you try, no matter which of the limited settings you disable. This is especially true for smart thermostats (think Nest and Carrier Infinity), certain LED TV wireless radios, and other IoT devices.These same devices connect without issue to the RBR50 and to hotspots with the exact same SSID and passphrase. 

4. When you use the system in AP mode, your guest network SSID will broadcast, however, you will have no Internet access.

5. All Orbi systems DO NOT work well with Powerline Ethernet Adapters. If you are using these devices to bring a CAT5/6 connection to your Orbi router or satellite, the speed of your Internet to your wireless devices will significantly drop. Not just a little...a lot. You can test it for yourself by performing a simple Internet speed test from a laptop or mobile device whilst connected to an Orbi with a Powerline Ethernet Adapter. You will not see speeds higher than 150-175Mbs. Remove the PEA and go direct with a CAT5/6 to a network switch or your router and you will see the Internet speed triple. Yes...triple. 

6. There is an issue between these Orbi devices and Sonos playbar + surround + subwoofer systems. I could not trace the problem's precise cause but it is some level of high packet loss. While streaming music from Spotify, the Playbar system would simply drop the connection and 10 or so seconds later would resume. Looking at the Sonos logs, the wireless connection would be momentarily dropped as if there was high wireless congestion...yet there was none. Other Sonos speakers (eg Play 3) would continue to play without interuption. As it happens, the Playbar was located closest to the Orbi Router. Moving back to the old Orbi system, the issue went away.

Given the price of this system, I really expected Netgear to move the bar upwards with the WiFi 6 Orbis. both with speed and features. I also expected it to feel more complete. Not the case at all. And while I expected some issues as an early adopter, the software and interface are the exact same we have seen throughout the rest of the product line; transitioning it to the newest flagship model should not have lead to feature loss or instability.  In time perhaps it will improve but for now, sadly, it is not ready.

Please proceed with caution.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Some of these issues are already known. Espeically with getting more RBSs. 2nd RBS now come in the RBK853 kit and do work. 

Orbi AC RBS work only in wired mode. Again known issues and NG will eventually determine when they will make them fully compatible. 

NEST Thermostate controllers work well and connect well with Orbi AX. I have a 1st gen and 3rd gen controller, both connect just fine. I have a few N mode cameras that connect just fine as well. I haven't tried G mode devices...I think I only have 1 G mode device anymore. 

Use of Power Line adapters works for others over on the Orbi AC forum. Been posts about it. Operation and experience maybe based on the PLs used as well. Some may not be as good as others. 

Sonos and Orbi in general have been problematic since day one. 

Again there are known issues and as time goes on FW will mature. Like it did with the Orbi AC. And theres still odd issues with it as well. 

Hope NG will fix and add to the FW as time goes on. Like some things new products need maturation time. Even AX spec hasn't been finalized and is currently in draft. Supposed to be finalized this year I believe. 

Users with these system will have to be patient or wait to buy a system after the FW has matured more. Up to users to do good research on the products they buy. Try before finalizing there decision is good too.

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 25
Chuck_M
Mentor

My Orbi AX (and the previous AC) works like a champ with Sonos.  There are some Sonos configuring you must do to ensure it is optimized, but I have a very large Sonos constellation and it works perfectly.

Message 5 of 25
gasmanmr
Aspirant

Not sure this is the same issue but here's the problem

Upgraded from Airport Extreme to RBR850 with two satellites - no problem.  able to connect multiple computers and other devices including Honeywell thermostat.  Cannot connect to two Carrier INfinity thermostats..  After calls to netgear, Carrier (thermostat support), was told that I needed a tP LINk router.  System configuration is Verizon fios to Verizon router (with wifi disabled) to Orbi router.  Told to connect TpLink to the router (Verizon).  Doesn't work despite multipe configurations.  Disconnected orbi and connected to old Airport extreme - able to "see" the carrier thermostats.  

Not sure how to proceed.  believe the issue is the Mesh Wifi 6 system and it doesn't integrate with the Carrier thermostat even with the TP link - not sure if there is a TP link configuration that may work.

Any help appreciated.  In the interim - until Carrier upgrades their firmware - will hook up Extreme once/month and download any updates.  Realy like the ORbi RBR850 with two satellites.  

Message 6 of 25
d2iguy
Aspirant

Gasmanmr, i was running up against the same exact issues and through a process of elimination and numerous equipment swaps I figured out there the Carrier Infinity thermostats and the WiFi 6 Orbi devices will not speak to each other. When I rolled back to my previous generation Orbi system, they work. In specific, you can enter the SSID and password (knowing they are correct) and the thermostat will not join the network. The same is true even if you used the same old SSID and password. The same thing was occuring with my extensive SONOS system, a newer Dell laptop, and Ring Doorbells. I was very, very disappointed since like you I really liked the Orbis and thought the WiFi 6 system would perform even better.

In time, Netgear may be able to straighten it out with firmware updates. But I wasn't willing to wait. I ripped and return the Orbis and put the newest Google/Nest system in its place. The setup was much easier and more intuitive. I had the entire system up in less than 10 minutes and the speed has been consistently FASTER than the Orbis and the range is better. Frankly, I was pretty shocked. Every single device in my house communicates flawlessly with the Google system and I've had no issues. Like zero. I've had the system in place a few months and I may have rebooted it once. 

Not looking to beat down Netgear here. I had the previous Orbi system for three or so years and it was wonderful. I would return the WiFi 6 and allow them to get the technology to a compatibility level where you aren't losing functionality or devices.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a working wifi router, you can do this, set up the same SSID name and PW on this prior router. Get your devices connect to this router and make sure they work well and get any updates, update them. Then using the same SSID name and PW from the prior router, set the same SSID name and PW on the Orbi system. Or if you have a primary SSID and PW, set up the same on the prior router. Just be sure you have the same SSID name and PW that works on the prior working router set on the Orbi AX. While leaving all devices online, bring the Orbi AX system online. As it's coming online, turn OFF the Prior router. As the Wifi comes on with the Orbi AX, the devices should connect automatically to the Orbi AX wifi system since it's using the same SSID name and PW and what was used on the prior router. You can disable AX mode temporarily on Orbi AX to see if this helps as well. 

I ran into this yesterday trying to get a Amzaon Echo DOT Connected. The setup app would not correctly get the DOT connected. I had to put a 2.4Ghz only router online and use the same SSID name and PW on it as I have on the Orbi AX. Once I got the DOT connected fully, I then turn ON the Orbi AX and turned OFF the other router. The DOT finally got connected. Seemed to have some problems initially, however after what I think it got updated, it finally settled in and works. I disabled AX mode as well and the DOT worked. I then re-enabled AX mode and the DOT is still working. 

I'm hoping that NG will implement letting users disable either 2.4 or 5G SSID broadcasts like they did on Orbi AC which helps users get there devices connected. Something that would help greatly on Orbi AX. 

Please make a new post as well if you continue to have problems. 

@gasmanmr wrote:

Not sure this is the same issue but here's the problem

Upgraded from Airport Extreme to RBR850 with two satellites - no problem.  able to connect multiple computers and other devices including Honeywell thermostat.  Cannot connect to two Carrier INfinity thermostats..  After calls to netgear, Carrier (thermostat support), was told that I needed a tP LINk router.  System configuration is Verizon fios to Verizon router (with wifi disabled) to Orbi router.  Told to connect TpLink to the router (Verizon).  Doesn't work despite multipe configurations.  Disconnected orbi and connected to old Airport extreme - able to "see" the carrier thermostats.  

Not sure how to proceed.  believe the issue is the Mesh Wifi 6 system and it doesn't integrate with the Carrier thermostat even with the TP link - not sure if there is a TP link configuration that may work.

Any help appreciated.  In the interim - until Carrier upgrades their firmware - will hook up Extreme once/month and download any updates.  Realy like the ORbi RBR850 with two satellites.  

Message 8 of 25
dcraig
Guide

I am having the same issue, but I am now using the RBR850 in Router mode.  I had the exact same problem when I had the RBR850 configured in AP mode.  However, the Guest network appears to work fine when I'm conncted to the RBR850.  But when connected to one of the Satellites, the Guest network appears, but shows "No Internet Connection."

I believe this problem is a result of having a switch in between the Router and Satellites (using wired backhaul), but have not confirmed...

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I just checked my system and enabled Guest Network. Mines in AP mode behind a R7800 router with it's radios disabled. RBS are wirelessly connected to the RBR. My iphone and adroid pad connect to both RBR and RBS and get internet when connected to the Guest Network. WPA2 and AES only. I did try one D-Link DWA-192 connected with WPA3 enabled and it worked. I only have 2 devices that support WPA3 currently. 

There are known problems with v10.11 FW and RBS wire connected to the RBR using a LAN switch. v10.11 breaks this configuration.

You can ask @Christian_R for access to the beta forum and give v3.2.10.1 a try. This works for AP mode if I remember right.

@dcraig wrote:

I am having the same issue, but I am now using the RBR850 in Router mode.  I had the exact same problem when I had the RBR850 configured in AP mode.  However, the Guest network appears to work fine when I'm conncted to the RBR850.  But when connected to one of the Satellites, the Guest network appears, but shows "No Internet Connection."

I believe this problem is a result of having a switch in between the Router and Satellites (using wired backhaul), but have not confirmed...

Message 10 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dcraig wrote:

I have the same issue, and I have no switch between the RBR and RBS just a cat5e direct to each other.

I have asked for access to beta-firmware, will confirm if this fixes it.

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes for you. 

Message 12 of 25
philoouu
Luminary

Dear all

Is there any news on this subject ?

I have this issue with the latest firmware.

With a lan cable between Main and Satellite there is no internet on devices connected to the guest network.

Without cable it is working fine.

Thanks

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your system in router or AP mode? Mines in router mode and I have three devices connected to the guest network and there getting internet thru the RBS that are wired for me. I haven't tried AP mode yet. 

@philoouu wrote:

Dear all

Is there any news on this subject ?

I have this issue with the latest firmware.

With a lan cable between Main and Satellite there is no internet on devices connected to the guest network.

Without cable it is working fine.

Thanks

Message 14 of 25
gnavneet
Aspirant

I have a similar configuration (connected via cable) and it is working fine.  One difference I see that I am running latest firmware v3.2.16.6.  Also, I am running in router mode.

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thats good. Wondering if this works in AP Mode with ethernet connected RBS. Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 25
philoouu
Luminary

@gnavneet

Do you confirm that you have internet connection on your wireless devices connected

to the guest network though a satellite which is wired backhaul ?

Message 17 of 25
dcraig
Guide

I found my problem was due to having switches betweent the hardwired Router and SATS.  Once I removed the switches and had the SATS connected DIRECTLY to the Router via wired backhaul, the problem cleared up.  Now the SATS are broadcasting the Guest network and there is interenet connectivity on it.

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I checked the RBS web page and saw my devices connected at the RBS while GN was enabled and they were on the Guest network. This was in router mode. 

Message 19 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I have switched in between my RBR and RBS.

What is the mfr and model# of your swithces you were using? 

Mine are D-Link and HP Pro Curve

@dcraig wrote:

I found my problem was due to having switches betweent the hardwired Router and SATS.  Once I removed the switches and had the SATS connected DIRECTLY to the Router via wired backhaul, the problem cleared up.  Now the SATS are broadcasting the Guest network and there is interenet connectivity on it.

Message 20 of 25
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

you wrote you checked the RBS web page.

I dot not have a detailted list when I connect with a browser to the RBS web page.

I need to go to the main unit RBR to get a list to check who is connected to who.

What do you see exactly on the RBS web page ? I see only the main network, I never see the guest network.

On the RBR web page I see everything.

Thanks

Message 21 of 25
dcraig
Guide

A Netgear GS724T managed 24-port switch and a Netgear GS108 unmanaged 8-port switch.

Bypassing these switches solved the Guest network issue.  I guess they have features that Netgear ORBI doesn't like.  Seems odd that Netgear would make a new product line of Orbi routers that do not play well with other Netgear switches.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable all IGMP protocoles on the managed switch. Same if you can disable any green ethernet features. Then test. 

What version or rev is the GS108? Check to see if there maybe any green ethernet features. You can try the 108 again by itself to see if it causes any problems. 

Message 23 of 25
dcraig
Guide

Furry, you are correct.  The GS108 switches work fine.  It was the GS724Tv4 24-port managed switch that was causing the problem, even though I had previously disabled all IGMP protocols and green features.

With a GS108 switch on each end, and the RBR and RBS connected to the switches, they connect up properly and the Guest network functions as designed.  Luckily I had an extra GS108 to try.  

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Disable all IGMP protocoles on the managed switch. Same if you can disable any green ethernet features. Then test. 

What version or rev is the GS108? Check to see if there maybe any green ethernet features. You can try the 108 again by itself to see if it causes any problems. 

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Maybe some other feature on the Managed switch that Orbi doesn't like. Not sure what else to try for that switch. 

Glad you got it working. Mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7