Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 -> RBK853 migration

VerneArase
Apprentice

RBK53 -> RBK853 migration

Well, my RBK53 system seems to be in declining health, so I've decided to pull the trigger on a RBK853. (Ouch! I thought the RBK53 was expensive!)

Several times in the last few days my throughput has dropped to around 13.1 mbps (from 260 mbps), and resetting the comcast cable modem didn't improve the situation. Only a full reboot of the RBK53 brought speeds up to snuff.

So ... any suggestions about migration strategies from a RBK53 to an RBK853? I've got about a gazillion internet devices - and only one wifi 6 device - and the addition of a myQ Smart Garage hub may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, any gotchas that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK53 -> RBK853 migration

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

When you do migrate, be aware that there is no disabling of either 2.4 or 5G SSID broadcasts feature as seen on the 50 series Orbi. This helps with getting new 2.4Ghz only IoT devices connected on the 50 series. The 850 series doesn't have this feature as of yet. We have asked NG to bring this to this model. So when you get the 850 series running, I would highly recommend using the same SSID name and PW on the 850 RBR as you did with the 50 series. This will help in current device migration and most if not all devices should connect with out any problems. A reboot of some device maybe needed. 

You can't wirelessly connect RBS50s to the 850 system as of yet. NG said they were at some point going to make them compatible. However you can ethernet connect RBS50s to the 850 system and they will work that way. They just won't be supporting any forum of AX mode as the 850 series does. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@VerneArase wrote:

Well, my RBK53 system seems to be in declining health, so I've decided to pull the trigger on a RBK853. (Ouch! I thought the RBK53 was expensive!)

Several times in the last few days my throughput has dropped to around 13.1 mbps (from 260 mbps), and resetting the comcast cable modem didn't improve the situation. Only a full reboot of the RBK53 brought speeds up to snuff.

So ... any suggestions about migration strategies from a RBK53 to an RBK853? I've got about a gazillion internet devices - and only one wifi 6 device - and the addition of a myQ Smart Garage hub may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, any gotchas that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Message 2 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Simple Migration tips:   When you replace the Router, ensure that you name your network (SSID) the exact name you had before.  The same goes for the WiFi password.

The majority of wireless devices will automatically join the new network instead of the old.  

There may be a few that you have to rejoin manually, but I did exactly the same thing when I moved from RBR50 w/three RBS50s to an RBR850 (AX) with 1 x RBS850 -- and I used two RBS50s hard-wired back through a 16 port netgear switch (model number below) that auto-senses POE if required for specific devices.  I really like that switch! 

My results showed me that the AX had far stronger radio signals at all devices.

All works just fine -- including the wired RBS50s which do everything except AX functionality.

Message 3 of 5
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

It's an Xfinity modem: a Technicolor CGM4140COM (voip).

When you do migrate, be aware that there is no disabling of either 2.4 or 5G SSID broadcasts feature as seen on the 50 series Orbi. This helps with getting new 2.4Ghz only IoT devices connected on the 50 series. The 850 series doesn't have this feature as of yet. We have asked NG to bring this to this model. So when you get the 850 series running, I would highly recommend using the same SSID name and PW on the 850 RBR as you did with the 50 series. This will help in current device migration and most if not all devices should connect with out any problems. A reboot of some device maybe needed. 

Yeah, I never disable any of the bands, and always use the same SSID and password.

No reboots were needed - once I set DHCP assigned fixed addresses (outside the dynamic range), I just let the leases run out and by the next day all devices were at their assigned locations.

You can't wirelessly connect RBS50s to the 850 system as of yet. NG said they were at some point going to make them compatible. However you can ethernet connect RBS50s to the 850 system and they will work that way. They just won't be supporting any forum of AX mode as the 850 series does. 

I did some research before buying the RBK853 (which I notice you still can't specify as your model on the message hearder), and knew that the backhaul connection wasn't compatible.

Basically, the RBK853 is a direct replacement for the RBK53 (and my house really doesn't need more than a router and two satellites). Actually, it really doesn't need two satellites, but I minimally wanted ethernet ports in three locations.

Unfortunately, I don't have whole home ethernet (which is one reason that 802.11ax backhaul interested me). I can now connect my Synology DS1817+ to an ethernet port on the RBR850 and connect my Drobo 8D connected iMac to a RBS850 ethernet port and get 62 MB/sec throughput using ChronoSync (the RBK53 only gave me twenty something MB/sec).

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

I haven't really noticed any malfunctions - I probably meet those criteria as my RBK5*s seemed to work fine too.

Doncha just hate it when programmers fail to support edge cases? Things like the non-deleteable quote mark below just drives me crazy Smiley Frustrated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok then, I think you'll be ok. As FW updates come out, hopefully FW will mature and get better with improvements. Can always join the beta forum as well. 

If the new system is working well for you, you'll be fine. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7