Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 DHCP Issue

cwang36
Aspirant

RBK753 DHCP Issue

I'm experiencing some strange issue with Orbi RBK753 setup. Orbi is setup in AP mode and I have a dnsmasq-dhcp server on the network. Intermittently, my iphone would complain that no internet is available, appears that it couldn't obtain an address from dhcp. Usually resolves within a minute or so, or as soon as I roam to a non-Orbi AP. When I look at the log of dhcp server, i see mutiple attempts with DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPOFFER but no DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK. What might be the issue ?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@cwang36 wrote:

I'm experiencing some strange issue with Orbi RBK753 setup. Orbi is setup in AP mode and I have a dnsmasq-dhcp server on the network. Intermittently, my iphone would complain that no internet is available, appears that it couldn't obtain an address from dhcp. Usually resolves within a minute or so, or as soon as I roam to a non-Orbi AP. When I look at the log of dhcp server, i see mutiple attempts with DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPOFFER but no DHCPREQUEST/DHCPACK. What might be the issue ?

When the Orbi is in AP mode, all it does is pass packets along.  So, DHCP broadcast packets just go "up the pipe".  Sounds like a configuration issue in the DHCP server.

By the way, Netgear has a separate forum for the new AX product line.  If you post in that forum, people who participate there may be aware of any differences between the new product and the older "original" Orbi discussed in this forum.  That new forum is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@cwang36 wrote:

Do you have an ISP modem router in your mix, and if so is it configured as a DHCP server?

What is your Orbi router connected to? 

Message 3 of 5
cwang36
Aspirant

yes i have a att bgw210 connected, but its dhcp is also disabled. orbi router internet port is connected to a dumb switch which is also connected to the isp modem and a vm host where pihole(dhcp/dns server) is running on.
Message 4 of 5
cwang36
Aspirant

thank you i will review the dhcp server config.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7