Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 As bride or Satellite?

sjtNJ
Guide

RBK852 As bride or Satellite?

Hey guys,

Me again -- hopeful someone can help. I'm struggling on the range. Since they are not selling AX Satellites any time soon and I cannot hardwire all, do you know if I can buy another router + satellite kit (price makes me puke, but what can I do?!?) and add it to my network? Thinking perhaps there is a way to put the second router in Bridge mode? Any advice would be much appreciated. I just can't get a wire to the further satellite location I need.

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 As bride or Satellite?

RBK852 As bride, only if you really want to get married to your system. Smiley Wink

NG I presume may support a 2nd or more RBSs. NG hasn't mentioned anything as of yet. I think others have bought or mentioned buying a 2nd set to try the RBS out as a 2nd satellite. 

The RBRs will only work in router mode wired AP mode, thus not having no connections wireleslly with the main MESH network. The RBR in AP mode would be it's own wifi signal source. 

Message 2 of 11
DoctorA
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

RBK852 As bride, only if you really want to get married to your system. Smiley Wink

NG I presume may support a 2nd or more RBSs. NG hasn't mentioned anything as of yet. I think others have bought or mentioned buying a 2nd set to try the RBS out as a 2nd satellite. 

The RBRs will only work in router mode wired AP mode, thus not having no connections wireleslly with the main MESH network. The RBR in AP mode would be it's own wifi signal source. 

I was thinking of doing the same instead of wasting $350 for the extra RBR 850 so I can buy an extra satelitte. But, will the wifi signal from the 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode interfere with the rest of the mesh system?

The mesh system of the 1st original RBR 850 obviously will function nicely with the two RBS 850 satellites. Others are using previous RBS 50 satellites very successfully with RBR 850.

The 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode may or may not work well though. I presume the clients that need better signal and are far from the main mesh Wifi coverage "bubble", must be synchronized with the 2nd router. Otherwise how are the clients going to to know which router to connect to. The clients don't "know" which source has better signal. They connect to the first source that says yes. Maybe the 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode must have a different SSID so the far clients only remain connected to the router in AP mode.

There are maybe some adjustments needed 2.4GHz and 5GHz Channel settings right?

We definitely need an expert advice how to correctly use the AP mode. It will never work as good as the 3rd dedicated satellite would work right?

Message 3 of 11
DoctorA
Luminary

I was thinking of doing the same instead of wasting money  for the extra RBR 850 so I can buy an extra satelitte. But, will the wifi signal from the 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode interfere with the rest of the mesh system?

The mesh system of the 1st original RBR 850 obviously will function nicely with the two RBS 850 satellites. Others are using previous RBS 50 satellites very successfully with RBR 850.

The 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode may or may not work well though. I presume the clients that need better signal and are far from the main mesh Wifi coverage "bubble", must be synchronized with the 2nd router. Otherwise how are the clients going to to know which router to connect to. The clients don't "know" which source has better signal. They connect to the first source that says yes. Maybe the 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode must have a different SSID so the far clients only remain connected to the router in AP mode.

We definitely need an expert advice how to correctly use the AP mode. It will never work as good as the 3rd dedicated satellite would work right?

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Theoretically, the 2nd RBR could be used, if the distances was far apart from the primary RBR and RBSs. And channels were far appart as well, say primary RBR would be set to 1 and 2nd RBR would be set to 11, and same for 5Ghz channels between the two. I would not probably run the same SSID name on the 2nd RBR as this might confuse the RBS and really mess the system up. So a different SSID name on the 2nd RBR would be suggested. 

User may want to also give NG some time to see if they come up with a 2nd RBS that they may bring to market. It only seems like this would be something they may look into since historically, the Orbi AC had support for two RBS in box. I presume NG may do the same and come with a 2nd RBS that can be purchased. When that may or may not happen. No idea. 

@DoctorA wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I was thinking of doing the same instead of wasting $350 for the extra RBR 850 so I can buy an extra satelitte. But, will the wifi signal from the 2nd RBR 850 in AP mode interfere with the rest of the mesh system?

Message 5 of 11
Sevo123
Apprentice

Netgear had a live on the orbi AX unit today on YouTube live and Facebook live... I asked about the satellites. They said in the coming weeks it will be available. Finally!!!

Video link https://youtu.be/xPVGv0IHVao
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can get another 8 series kit and use the RBS as the 2nd sat. The RBR can only be used in router or AP mode though. Doesn't work as a satellite. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 7 of 11
Rogelio1
Apprentice

Hmm... this q&a was two months ago. Guessing they’re behind schedule on figuring out how to get the backhaul working properly with adding a second satellite / in chain mode, etc.

I really need that second satellite because I have my router in the front of the house, 1st satellite at the back (30 feet away), and need another one in the far end of the backyard where I have a finished shed (used as an office/gym) and it connects in chain mode. The current orbi setup works fine for coverage but I now moved to a gigabit internet connection and the old orbi is only pulling in 300 megabits/sec in the shed. Needing that second satellite (to hopefully get closer to 600 megabits/sec in the shed) before purchasing the Wifi6 orbi.
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has already announced that they now support a 2nd RBS850. There is a RBK853 package available now. The 3 being a 3 unit system, i.e. 1 RBR and 2 RBS. 

@Rogelio1 wrote:
Hmm... this q&a was two months ago. Guessing they’re behind schedule on figuring out how to get the backhaul working properly with adding a second satellite / in chain mode, etc.

I really need that second satellite because I have my router in the front of the house, 1st satellite at the back (30 feet away), and need another one in the far end of the backyard where I have a finished shed (used as an office/gym) and it connects in chain mode. The current orbi setup works fine for coverage but I now moved to a gigabit internet connection and the old orbi is only pulling in 300 megabits/sec in the shed. Needing that second satellite (to hopefully get closer to 600 megabits/sec in the shed) before purchasing the Wifi6 orbi.

Message 9 of 11
Rogelio1
Apprentice

Where can I find the 3 pack kit? Been looking everywhere and don’t see anything but the two pack rbk852 set

Edit: oh, I see now the “3” in rbk85- refers to the total number of units. Looks like retailers are slow to get the kit up for sale.

Any word on separate satellite sale? Costco sells the two pack for like $80 cheaper and would be better to get a separate satellite by itself.

Can the router serve as a satellite or is that not possible (if I bought two 2-pack kits)
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7