Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 Set up questions…

AJ-711
Tutor

RBK852 Set up questions…

So I recently ordered the RBK852 & it was delivered yesterday in hopes of using it as future proof for my smart home. I already have close to 50 devices from Alexa Echos to Dyson fans to ring security & a bunch of lights & plugs...On & on. 
...I've not started the set up yet as I was waiting on my ISP Spectrum to deliver my new modem today I just upgraded to their One Gig plan. 
...I have an issue with planning on how to locate the router & satellite at least 30ft apart due to where my cable enters my home. 
...Im new to this networking stuff but would there be any harm in me connecting the router to the cable modem with 10-15ft of CAT-7 cable so that I can achieve more than 30ft spread between router & satellite?? If not, any suggestions?

I live in small ranch style house 1400sq ft

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 Set up questions…

@AJ-711 wrote:

I understand the placement of router & satellite but in order to achieve more than 30ft of separation & have them properly placed in the house for best coverage...Would it hurt if I connected the router to the Spectrum Cable modem with a 15ft CAT 7 cable? No. Or would this drastically impact performance?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@AJ-711 wrote:

So I recently ordered the RBK852 & it was delivered yesterday in hopes of using it as future proof for my smart home. I already have close to 50 devices from Alexa Echos to Dyson fans to ring security & a bunch of lights & plugs...On & on. 
...I've not started the set up yet as I was waiting on my ISP Spectrum to deliver my new modem today I just upgraded to their One Gig plan. 
...I have an issue with planning on how to locate the router & satellite at least 30ft apart due to where my cable enters my home. 
...Im new to this networking stuff but would there be any harm in me connecting the router to the cable modem with 10-15ft of CAT-7 cable so that I can achieve more than 30ft spread between router & satellite?? No, technically cable lengths could be over 100feet in length. 

If not, any suggestions?

I live in small ranch style house 1400sq ft

Make sure the RBR is on main level or 2nd level. Basements are not recommended places for any wifi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite📡

Message 2 of 9
AJ-711
Tutor

I understand the placement of router & satellite but in order to achieve more than 30ft of separation & have them properly placed in the house for best coverage...Would it hurt if I connected the router to the Spectrum Cable modem with a 15ft CAT 7 cable? Or would this drastically impact performance?

thank-you.

Message 3 of 9
AJ-711
Tutor

The reason why is due to where the internet cable comes into the house.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@AJ-711 wrote:

I understand the placement of router & satellite but in order to achieve more than 30ft of separation & have them properly placed in the house for best coverage...Would it hurt if I connected the router to the Spectrum Cable modem with a 15ft CAT 7 cable? No. Or would this drastically impact performance?

Message 5 of 9
AJ-711
Tutor

I apologize I didn't see your first answer🥴

thankyou very much!!!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. If you have any other questions or need help. Please post. 

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
AJ-711
Tutor

I will👍 Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9