Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK852 connection issues with iphone 11 pro

Gilliland
Aspirant

RBK852 connection issues with iphone 11 pro

I have a router and several satellites set up around my house, and have checked signal strength and latency throughout the house, and all seems fine.  My iphone 11 pro, however, struggles to reconnect to the network each time i reenter the network area.  It first shows there is no internet connectivity as it is trying to connect, and sometimes connects after a few minutes, and other times i have to forget the network and reenter the password to get it to connect.  Am using wpa2 security.  my ipad does not have this problem.  my iphone does not have this problem on any other wifi network.  

Any thoughts how i fix this?

Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Gilliland wrote:

I have a router and several satellites set up around my house, and have checked signal strength and latency throughout the house, and all seems fine.  My iphone 11 pro, however, struggles to reconnect to the network each time i reenter the network area.  It first shows there is no internet connectivity as it is trying to connect, and sometimes connects after a few minutes, and other times i have to forget the network and reenter the password to get it to connect.  Am using wpa2 security.  my ipad does not have this problem.  my iphone does not have this problem on any other wifi network.  

Any thoughts how i fix this?

Seems to be an iPhone 11 Pro issues:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250659429

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What version of iOS is on the phone? 

Try forgetting the wifi profile on the phone then reconnect. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Set CTS values to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unc36O66Ef0&feature=youtu.be&t=1062

Message 3 of 10
Gilliland
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  What doesn't fit with it being just an iphone 11 issue is that my phone works fine with any other wifi system, just not with the RBK852 i have installed . . . I can't figure that part out.

Message 4 of 10
Gilliland
Aspirant

firmware v3.2.16.6_1.4.4

ISP doesn't use a modem on site - it is direct over the air transmission to my property and then relayed over the air to a point close to the house, using a Ubiquiti system.  That all was working fine with my phone prior to switching to the RBK852 system.

phone was running IOS 13, now running IOS14 beta.  same problem with either IOS.

i have to forget the profile and reconnect each time to get a good connection after being away from the house.

large home - i have router and 3 satellites covering >5000 sf.  not an issue for my ipad or other devices, just iphone 11 pro

routers are spread out, varying distances.

Using auto for channels.  i can set manual channels but again this isn't an issue with other devices, so i question why that would matter.

no wifi signal from any other source anywhere nearby.

I don't know what the rest of your question means

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Set CTS values to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try setting a IP address reservation for the phone ON the routers web page. Under Advanced/Setup/LAN setting. 

I would make contact with Apple support on this as well. This seems to be a problem with your particular one phone device as your other devices are working with Orbi. I have seen other posts about users having problems with iphone 11 Pros before. I have a iphone 6sP was was on 13.6. Saw no issues with my Orbi AX sytem. 

Message 6 of 10
Gilliland
Aspirant

Thanks - have changed all those settings.  will see how it does.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

You are not alone. I have similar issues with an 11 pro. The issue seems to be that it fails to switch over between access points  and get a dhcp address properly under certain conditions. It works well if I walk slowly through the different access point zones, but in certain cases it will simply fail to make the transfer. Apple was pretty unhelpful - other than sending me a replacement phone which has exactly the same behavior! Rebooting the phone is the quickest solution - though not very satisfactory!

Message 9 of 10
Dd852
Luminary

To be fair I should add the other steps apple recommended - didn’t help me but may help you. Forget the network and add again. Reset network settings (general>reset>reset network settings). Restore from backup. They also suggested setting up as new phone in case there was a problem in my settings that got passed from backup to backup but i didn’t try that - a step too far in hassle factor.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7