Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 keeps dropping 2.4GHz connections

ahswp
Apprentice

RBK852 keeps dropping 2.4GHz connections

My 852s keep dropping the 2.4 band. I have multiple devices that can only be used on a 2.4 band and these devices keep going offline. It seems that only my devices which connect on 5 band stay online. Rebooting helps temporarily. Any suggestions welcome!

Message 1 of 7
ahswp
Apprentice

Re: RBK852 keeps dropping 2.4GHz connections

I forgot to mention that I am using firmware V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 3 of 7
ahswp
Apprentice

I'm using the 852. I don't see many of those options in the settings. I have had previous netgear that did have many of those... but i don't see a way on the 852 to change fast roaming or 40 MHZ only. Also how do i change the preamble mode?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I forgot to take out "Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming" these won't be seen in the RBRs UI. 

Others settings will be Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. 

Set preambe from Long to Short.

Message 5 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@ahswp wrote:

My 852s keep dropping the 2.4 band. I have multiple devices that can only be used on a 2.4 band and these devices keep going offline. It seems that only my devices which connect on 5 band stay online. Rebooting helps temporarily. Any suggestions welcome!

Please be specific - What devices of yours connect but then go offline on the 2.4 band?  The solution may vary by device because of specific wireless compatibility issues or constraints.

Make sure that in Advanced... Advanced... Wireless Settings you set CTS/RTS for both bands to 2347.  That helps a lot.

Some 2.4Ghz IoT devices don't like it when the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs are the same and have difficulty connecting so you need to lower the power and/or hide the 5Ghz SSID for the initial setup.  After you do get them connected then they shouldn't have a problem with the 5Ghz SSID anymore and can restore the 5Ghz settings.  Someone here reported that their IoT device couldn't coexist with 5Ghz even after connected, but that has not been my experience with my few fussy IoT 2.4Ghz devices.

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ahswp

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information @FURRYe38 and @Mikey94025 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7