Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK853 Ethernet Backhaul Causing Wifi to Drop

TeddyOH
Guide

RBK853 Ethernet Backhaul Causing Wifi to Drop

Orbi RBR850 in office connected to the modem.

RBS850 in kitchen connected wireless to the router.

RBS850 in basement connected via an unmanaged switch that has an ethernet connection directly from the router.

All updated firmware: V3.2.16.6

(When connected by ethernet backhaul, both sats are getting signal from the router. If I do not use ethernet backhaul, the kitchen sat connects to the router and the basement sat connects to the kitchen sat.)

When I set up my system without ethernet backhaul, it works great. I have gigabit service that is business class and very stable. So the modem and connection are not an issue. I get over 900 Mbps 5 ft from the router. Most of the house is around 500 Mbps.

I would greatly prefer to use ethernet backhaul in the basement as above. It increases my speeds in the basement by a good margin. It also seems to increase speeds from the kitchen satellite. I know, dedicated 5 GHz wifi backhaul, but my speeds definitely improve when the basement sat uses ethernet.

So I am getting intermittant extraordinarily frustrating issues when I use ethernet backhaul. It will work perfectly for a time (10 minutes or 10 hours), then suddenly internet connection will drop completely - still a wifi signal, but no internet access. I know internet is still active because TVs streaming from ethernet connection from the switch do not lose any connection. I can diconnect from wifi using any device and then reconnect, and internet will return, only for the cycle to repeat.

Today, after being stable for over 12 hours, the entire wifi network lost internet connectivity. 

The solution? If I simply unplug the ethernet cable from the basement sat, internet connection returns almost immediately. 

So ethernet backhaul seems broken for me. I gave it a lot of time to "stabilize" or "optimize", but it makes no difference. 

Is there a solution to this issue, or perhaps a setting that can resolve this?

Message 1 of 7
TeddyOH
Guide

By the way, I see many posts about this similar issue from older Orbi systems. Often the firmware was deemed the culprit. I see the newest firmware is only about a week old. Is there a more stable firmware I should revert to?

I also see talk about disabling Daisy Chain Topology. I don't seem to have that option in my router settings.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? All units on same version of FW? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Are both RBS connected to the switch? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 3 of 7
TeddyOH
Guide

To answer questions posted:
1) Firmware is stated in OP. I reflashed the router yesterday and confirmed both sats are same version.
2) Modem is provided by Spectrum/Charter and is their own brand. It was required for their Gig service. Sorry I am not home to give model number, but again the modem is confirmed to be functioning nominally.
3) Router mode
4) Ethernet switch is an unmanaged Netgear 16 port gigabit switch I just purchased this week. GS116NA. Only 1 sat is connected to the switch. I have not tried running the Ethernet from the router to the sat and then from the sat to the switch. Not sure if that would matter.
5) Not an oversat issue. The wired sat is in the basement over 30 ft away. The wifi sat is in the kitchen 3 rooms away, over 30 ft.

As an update, I called tech support. They had me reinstall the same firmware to the router only. Then they had me change the MTU router setting from the default 1500 to 1472. They said test it. Failure once again. Lost internet via wifi within 10 min of reconnecting the Ethernet backhaul. Once again, anything connected wired via Ethernet still had full internet access.

They asked me to call back if it didn’t work, but I’m not sure I will. They are obviously just working a nonspecific troubleshooting algorithm and have no clue about a solution.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try directly connecting both RBS to the switch, then try removing the switch from the mix and directly connect both RBS to the back of the RBR. 

What version# is the switch? v1, etc...

Message 5 of 7
TeddyOH
Guide

Ok. Problem solved, but the solution created another problem...

I rewired the connections. Now I have direct Ethernet from the RBR850 to the basement RBS850 setting up Ethernet backhaul. Then Ethernet from that RBS850 to my switch connecting all my basement home theater devices.

So essentially changing the order of connection solved the problem. Stable network with Ethernet backhaul enabled on the basement sat.

HOWEVER...

Now, all the basement devices with wired Ethernet to that switch can’t get speeds of over 75-90 Mbps. My phone connected to the same sat by wifi is getting about 700-800 Mbps. So the output from the sat is fine by wifi but very slow by internet. Note that when I had the Ethernet straight to the switch, all these devices were getting 700 or more Mbps. Same cables just different order of connection.

So now what?
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove that switch. Do wired connection get faster speeds directly connected to this RBS? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7