Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK853 & RBS50Y - when is compatibility coming?

BarneyH
Follower

RBK853 & RBS50Y - when is compatibility coming?

Am I right in thinking that the RBK853 and outdoor RBS50Y are still incompatible with each other?

I can't get my RBS50Y to join in Orbi mode. I then thought I could at least ask the RBS50Y to extend the RBK853 as if it were any other router... but this doesn't seem to be working either.

This is pretty poor from Netgear - does anyone have any insight on whether (a) I might be doing something wrong or (b) if the problem is compatability, if there is a firmware fix (coming?) to address?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

No idea if or when NG will make thse compatible. 

Something to post about here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Message 2 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BarneyH

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y/v2) works with the Orbi AX in Extender mode. We  were able to confirm this from engineering team that it is supported. Please make sure that the Orbi Outdoor Satellite is on the latest Extender mode firmware v1.0.0.46. 

Here's a reference How do I set up my Orbi Outdoor Satellite in Extender Mode?

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know about this. 

Message 4 of 10
zinca
Guide

How did you get the outdoor satellite to load that firmware? Every time I try it says the firmware is not compatible. I downloaded the zip file from Netgear, extracted the file, and attempted to install. This process worked fine to install the Pro Firmware, revert to the Orbi normal firmware, but rejected both the older and newer releases of the Extender firmware. I tried this both before and after factory resets, no success. RBS50Y unit working fine as satellite using both Orbi and Pro Firmware but won't switch to Extender. I see there are V1 and V2 models of the RBS50Y, can the V1 accept this firmware? Is there some other trick to it? Some way to check the firmware file? 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What broswser are you using? Try IE11 or Firefox? 

What Orbi version of FW is currently loaded on the RBSY? 

@Blanca_O 

@zinca wrote:

How did you get the outdoor satellite to load that firmware? Every time I try it says the firmware is not compatible. I downloaded the zip file from Netgear, extracted the file, and attempted to install. This process worked fine to install the Pro Firmware, revert to the Orbi normal firmware, but rejected both the older and newer releases of the Extender firmware. I tried this both before and after factory resets, no success. RBS50Y unit working fine as satellite using both Orbi and Pro Firmware but won't switch to Extender. I see there are V1 and V2 models of the RBS50Y, can the V1 accept this firmware? Is there some other trick to it? Some way to check the firmware file? 

Message 6 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @zinca

The Orbi Outdoor Satellite might still be in Orbi mode when you load the Extender firmware. Kindly follow steps here to set it to Extender mode. Once done, try again loading the firmware. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 10
zinca
Guide

I tried doing this a number of times in every imagineable way, but it nothing ever happens. Lights never pulse white and blue as described and it never switches over to ext mode.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about. 

@zinca wrote:

I tried doing this a number of times in every imagineable way, but it nothing ever happens. Lights never pulse white and blue as described and it never switches over to ext mode.

Message 9 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @zinca

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. I will PM you requesting for more information.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7