Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 issues with: activity log, 2.4Ghz backhaul & poor wifi

George63
Tutor

RBK853 issues with: activity log, 2.4Ghz backhaul & poor wifi

Does anyone else have these issues:
1. on satellites status 2.4Ghz for backhaul is grayed out (picture attached)

2. poor wifi speeds while using 2.4Ghz (less that 10mbs) 

3. the activity log is not showing any dos attacks/scans and the logs received by e-mail from RBR850 looks like this:
[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.25)] to MAC address (redacted), May 10,2020 04:31:55

[DHCP IP: (192.168.0.27)] to MAC address (redacted), May 10,2020 04:30:33

Thursday, Jan 01,1970 00:00:00

My Setup 1 Gb ONT > Orbi RBK853 V3.2.11.2_1.2.13 (Router Mode) , 20/40Mhz Coexistence disabled, CTS/RTS set to 2347

Message 1 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 issues with: activity log, 2.4Ghz backhaul & poor wifi

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Usually means that you don't have any 2.4Ghz clients connected to the RBS thus the RBS will not use 2.4Ghz until something needs that radio...

What are the IP addresses of .25 and .27?

Message 2 of 30
Mikey94025
Hero

@George63 wrote:

Does anyone else have these issues:
1. on satellites status 2.4Ghz for backhaul is grayed out (picture attached)

My 3 satellites each display like this.  It seems to be a static graphic where the gray 2.4Ghz doesn't mean anything.

Message 3 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have any 2.4Ghz only devices connected to any of the RBS?

@Mikey94025 wrote:

My 3 satellites each display like this.  It seems to be a static graphic where the gray 2.4Ghz doesn't mean anything.

Message 4 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38

Factory reset done using web GUI : Revert to Factory Default Settings -> Erase

The distance between the router and satellite(s) is about 25-30 feet. I had ORI RBK50 and ORBI SRK60 installed in same positions and I know that the distance or building materials are not the problem. The slow wi-fi on 2.4Ghz could be fixed with a new firmware: if a 5Ghz capable device will connect to 2.4Ghz then the router should push it to 5Ghz

"Usually means that you don't have any 2.4Ghz clients connected to the RBS thus the RBS will not use 2.4Ghz until something needs that radio..." . I don`t agree with you: look again at the screenshot taken from RBS850 (pic1), you can see that 2.4G is already used by IOT devices, only the backhaul 2.4Ghz is grey. I`m attaching a screenshot taken from RBS50 (pic2) as reference: backhaul 2.4Ghz is not grey.

Message 5 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38

"What are the IP addresses of .25 and .27?" Not relevant for activity logs... the full logs received by e-mail have 230 entries and only the first 36 entries are correct, the rest of 194 entries are: “Thursday, Jan 01,1970 00:00:00” (see pic3). I`ve seen this problem before on SRR60 about a year ago, and it was fixed with a new firmware. I`m just curious if anyone else noticed that the log is broken and there`s no activity logged like dos attacks/scans

Message 6 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Confirmed. Mines doing the same. Wow. Guess someone missed this. Even with 2.4Ghz clients connected, the 2.4Ghz link icon is grayed out. Someone wanna make contact with NG support? 

24GhzRBSClients.png

Message 7 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

Thank you for confirming this issues regarding 2.4Ghz backhaul.
BTW from previous experiences with Netgear support I`ve learned that it`s a waste of time trying to solve “software” issues.

Is your log activity normal?  

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

I'll see if I can get this submitted. 

Do you see any changes in the icon or logging if you revert back to v3.2.9.2 on the RBR and RBS? 

Message 9 of 30
George63
Tutor

I got ORBI RBK853 about two weeks ago and from factory firmware V3.2.8.5_1.2.3 was installed. I kept that firmware for a few hours when I noticed the logging issue and wi-fi disconnects. I don`t recall checking the backhaul status on satellites…

After upgrading to 3.2.10.11 I saw the 2.4Ghz backhaul greyed out and same log issues and wi-fi disconnects. I manually installed 3.2.11.2_1.2.13 and no joy: the 2.4Ghz backhaul is still grey, the log is still broken and my IOT & cctv cams using 2.4Ghz are still disconnecting randomly.

I just don`t have the time and will to test older firmwares. I lost to much time on research in the past with RBK50 & SRK60…. For the price of 1,200USD (975 pounds in uk) I was expecting a flawless product. I will keep RBK853 for another 2-3 weeks and if Negear won`t fix those problems then I will return it back to amazon.uk

Message 10 of 30
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Yup, It's doing it too on both satellites and of the hundreds of logs I get eMailed to me daily, many look just like yours. The RBR shows that after its rebooted itself and devices are jumping back on and getting their IPA RESs. The "Uptime" on the RBR matches the when those events in the logs happened. But the RBSs show that they have been up and running, where I can get a Uptime of the system from them. Also when this happens there will be an RBR DeBug log waiting to be downloaded, but not from the RBSs. I have many 2.4GHz Devices connected to all APs.

I can remember that being green at one time in the early says. Or it was another device. So much has happened in such little time. But when the green went away, I gave it no mind and through that NG botched some code in the UI display, which there is a lot, WHICH was not of importance at the time for me.

So y'all aren't going "Nutz" and I see no need to get "Furry" about it. Unless it is physically impeding operation. That's the way that I look at it.

Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Please file a support ticket here for what your seeing:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Pleaset post a link for this forum thread as well.

@George63 wrote:

I got ORBI RBK853 about two weeks ago and from factory firmware V3.2.8.5_1.2.3 was installed. I kept that firmware for a few hours when I noticed the logging issue and wi-fi disconnects. I don`t recall checking the backhaul status on satellites…

After upgrading to 3.2.10.11 I saw the 2.4Ghz backhaul greyed out and same log issues and wi-fi disconnects. I manually installed 3.2.11.2_1.2.13 and no joy: the 2.4Ghz backhaul is still grey, the log is still broken and my IOT & cctv cams using 2.4Ghz are still disconnecting randomly.

I just don`t have the time and will to test older firmwares. I lost to much time on research in the past with RBK50 & SRK60…. For the price of 1,200USD (975 pounds in uk) I was expecting a flawless product. I will keep RBK853 for another 2-3 weeks and if Negear won`t fix those problems then I will return it back to amazon.uk

Message 12 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS and RBR both have debug log and uptime information under IP address/debug.htm

@FarmerBob1 wrote:

Yup, It's doing it too on both satellites and of the hundreds of logs I get eMailed to me daily, many look just like yours. The RBR shows that after its rebooted itself and devices are jumping back on and getting their IPA RESs. The "Uptime" on the RBR matches the when those events in the logs happened. But the RBSs show that they have been up and running, where I can get a Uptime of the system from them. Also when this happens there will be an RBR DeBug log waiting to be downloaded, but not from the RBSs. I have many 2.4GHz Devices connected to all APs.

I can remember that being green at one time in the early says. Or it was another device. So much has happened in such little time. But when the green went away, I gave it no mind and through that NG botched some code in the UI display, which there is a lot, WHICH was not of importance at the time for me.

So y'all aren't going "Nutz" and I see no need to get "Furry" about it. Unless it is physically impeding operation. That's the way that I look at it.

Message 13 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FarmerBob1 

My point is:

Negear said about the latest firmware 3.2.11.2: “Bug Fixes: Includes bug fixes for three Orbi Satellites that are connected to the Orbi network”
And they did not mention any know issues! So, that tells me Negear is not aware of the above issues and they`re not planning to fix these issues

For me the logs are curial because I must be able see who is connecting to my network. Also I`m sick of getting hundreds of notifications from my NVR because the CCTV cams are disconnecting from 2.4Ghz wi-fi

Message 14 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

NG may not be aware of the issues you found or have tested for them when then released in FW. So lets make them aware of these issues. Just because you think NG may not fix them, desn't mean they won't. 

@George63 wrote:

@FarmerBob1 

My point is:

Negear said about the latest firmware 3.2.11.2: “Bug Fixes: Includes bug fixes for three Orbi Satellites that are connected to the Orbi network”
And they did not mention any know issues! So, that tells me Negear is not aware of the above issues and they`re not planning to fix these issues

For me the logs are curial because I must be able see who is connecting to my network. Also I`m sick of getting hundreds of notifications from my NVR because the CCTV cams are disconnecting from 2.4Ghz wi-fi

Message 15 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

"Please file a support ticket here for what your seeing:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#"

Last time (about a year ago) when I had logging problems Negear said I had a faulty SRR60 and they sent a replacement which had the exact same logging issue 🙂

Message 16 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Well thats a different model and product line. Orbi AX is different line and probably has different set of development and engineering people. 

Gotta try. The more users bring this up the more NG will probably fix it. 

@George63 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

"Please file a support ticket here for what your seeing:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#"

Last time (about a year ago) when I had logging problems Negear said I had a faulty SRR60 and they sent a replacement which had the exact same logging issue 🙂

Message 17 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38

Sorry, no support ticket this time! I will try a different approach: I want to see how many people have these issues… and I`m really curious if Netgear is monitoring this forum in order to improve their products.

Message 18 of 30

This is actually normal behavior - the 2.4GHz or 5GHz channel from the router to the satellite indicates whether it is using 2.4GHz or 5GHz backhaul - 5GHz is normal and expected, 2.4GHz should be greyed out unless you have them quite far apart. That is my experience on previous firmware, I don't have this latest version installed yet - but I have never seen it show both channels active betwen the router and the satellite.

If you have them connected wired, both will be greyed out.

The 2.4 GHz devices are communicating over 2.4GHz to the satellite, but there is no reason to stick to those limited bandwidthcongested channels to forward the packets back to the router.

Which still says nothing about the other issues being mentioned in the thread, just wanted to comment on that piece.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Confirmed. Mines doing the same. Wow. Guess someone missed this. Even with 2.4Ghz clients connected, the 2.4Ghz link icon is grayed out. Someone wanna make contact with NG support? 

24GhzRBSClients.png

Message 19 of 30
George63
Tutor

@TuckerReviewer 

Did you look at pic1&pic2 ?

RBS50 and SRS60 have both backhaul channels blue...

Message 20 of 30

I did see the two pictures, and I see the double blue for the older Orbis. But the RBK850s have never shown that for me, it has always been only one side (bottom, 5GHz) showing blue - or none if wired. That was across multiple versions of the firmware, and I assumed it was by design.

If it is a bug, it has been around since I have had this router. Or I have an ongoing issue that I was not aware of.

Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I did more testing on this and it is not reporting the 2.4Ghz status icon correctly if this what NG is intending for this status with 2.4Ghz devices connected. 

I have my RBR on a 2nd story, and 1 RBR in the basement which is about 30-40 feet as the crow flies. I even turned down the RBRs 5Ghz radio to 25% and left 2.4Ghz radio at 100% to make sure the 2.4Ghz radios were connecting over vs the 5Ghz radio. Connected 1 D-Link DIR-868L in wireless bridge mode to the 2.4Ghz radio on the RBS in basement and wire connected a xbox to the back of the 868L via LAN cable. The Xbox connected and logged in with out any problems.

As you can see the RBS status page is reporting there is devices connected to the RBS on 2.4Ghz side of the RBS. However the connection between the RBS and the RBR (router) reports as grayed out on 2.4Ghz. I presume this should be in BLUE. 

DLink868Connected2.4Ghz2RBSWithXbox.pngRBS2.4GhzStatusGrayedOutWithConnectedDevices.png

I presume if the backhaul connection which all traffic is being sent back the the RBR, even if the devices are 2.4Ghz connected to the RBS, is the RBS taking the 2.4Ghz traffic and routing thru the backhaul as I believe this is happening since the xbox one connected to the 868L wireless bridge is getting xbox services and is logged in with out any connection problems. 

It just seems like this is a RBS to Router icon status problem reported on the RBS status page is all. 

Message 22 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Of the face of this this is just a superficial cosmetic bug that I presume can be fixed for the status icon. 

There are lot of forum posts and such on a daily basis. That way to many posts to review. Thus you'll not see any NG engineering review or posts in the forums. Moderators don't most much unless someone tags them or PMs them and they are mostly 1st line support. 

So I recommend that you take action and file a support ticket if you desire these bugs to be reviewed for reproduction and a fix. It's up to users to let NG know what problems they are seeing. The forums are of course a great place to discuss them and work with others to ensure accuracy of problems found, however forums can't fix the problems found when it's FW or HW related. Users need to report problems found to NG support. So please open a ticket and let NG know what you have found. Just because it's seen a different product line doesn't mean it won't be fixed. IF your not happy with your product then return the product and find something that works for you.

Balls in your court. 

Good Luck. 

@George63 wrote:

Sorry, no support ticket this time! I will try a different approach: I want to see how many people have these issues… and I`m really curious if Netgear is monitoring this forum in order to improve their products.

Message 23 of 30
George63
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

I will open a support ticket soon ... The icon (2.4Ghz backhaul) is not a major problem (could be an issues or not, w`ll see).  I`m making a list with things that really bothers me: logs are broken, slow wi-fi on 2.4Ghz and random drops, not all devices show up on “Attached Devices list”, the satellites web page shows all my devices as “unknown”, there`s no option to disable “daisy chain”, there`s no option to separate 2.4Ghz from 5Ghz, there`s no option to allow guests to access my network (ex: ip class 192.168.0.X is assigned to main users and guest users are assigned automatically ip class 192.168.2.x), remote management from Orbi app (tested only on Android) is not working. I`m still testing a few things….

BTW Netgear should follow some standards and test their products before selling … right now I feel like a “guinea pig

Message 24 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a list and details. Include this forum thread as well. 

I know how you feel man. I know how you feel. Been working with Orbi AX as well. IMO, NG shouldn't have released it when they did. Smiley Frustrated

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7