Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 issues with: activity log, 2.4Ghz backhaul & poor wifi

Re: RBK853 issues with: activity log, 2.4Ghz backhaul & poor wifi

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Of the face of this this is just a superficial cosmetic bug that I presume can be fixed for the status icon. 

I'm not persuaded this is a bug at all. From their website:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk852.aspx

2.4GHz (1200Mbps†) + 5GHz (2400Mbps†) for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet

5GHz (2400Mbps†) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite

Can you point me to anywhere that indicates that 2.4Ghz is being used as backhaul on these devices, in any circumstances?

2.4GHz does not make a good band for backhaul. Too low of throughput, with too high of range means lots of congestion, conflicts, and overall very low speeds. I did not think they were using it here.
Message 26 of 30
kildare
Luminary

@TuckerReviewer wrote:

Can you point me to anywhere that indicates that 2.4Ghz is being used as backhaul on these devices, in any circumstances?

This actually happened to me when moving the satellites around my house: in some distant locations the backhaul was indicated running on the 2.4 GHz band.

So yes, it's possible that a 2.4 GHz backhaul shared with normal wireless devices can be used (better than nothing...).

Message 27 of 30

Thanks for the confirmation; I haven't seen that personally. Did it show the correct 2.4GHz band in blue on the satellite page when it happened, and not show the 5GHz band?

If so, that would tend to support the theory that it is designed generally to use only the 5GHz for backhaul, and not to congest the airwaves unnnecessarily with another 2.4GHz network unless it can't create a stable 5GHz connection. A design improvement from the older Orbis, vs a display bug on the status indicator screen.

Message 28 of 30
kildare
Luminary

Honestly I wouldn't care too much about what is shown in the satellite's web GUI.

What is significant is the info shown in the router's web GUI (see attached image)

Message 29 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Your probably right that it's not a bug. Orbi systems have always used the 5Ghz as back haul. I don't think the 2.4Ghz is used if the 5Ghz back haul was degraded enough to cause the RBS to switch. I tried to emulate this yesterday with turning down the 5Ghz power on the RBR and placeing the RBS down in the basement at a good distance. The RBS still connected on 5Ghz or at least its status page reported still on 5ghz along with the RBRs status web page also reporting 5Ghz status. 

So I presume the 2.4Ghz greyed out icon is just that. Greyed out and not used on Orbi AX. Only the 5Ghz wifi icon should be seen unless the RBS is LAN wire connected. Then the 5Ghz wifi icon should be grayed out as well. 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 30 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7