Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 Firmware Update v4.6.3.7 disconnects my ISP

Danielsoh
Aspirant

RBR750 Firmware Update v4.6.3.7 disconnects my ISP

This morning I woke to find that my internet was down. On checking I saw that the ORBI router was flashing magenta and not connecting to my ISP. I thought my ISP was down until I plugged in the old  router I have replaced with the RBR750, and I could get connected, Somehow the new firmware is not allowing the RBR750 to connect to my ISP. 

Changing the RBR750 to AP mode and connecting to my old router allowed me to connect to the satellite RBS750s that I have. I connected them on the same WAN port of the RBR750, so it rules out a port problem. It's a bummer having to daisy chain my old router to the RBR750 on AP mode.  Hope a hot fix will help put my RBR750 as the main router again. 

I am in Malaysia and using Telekom Malaysia's Unifi service.

Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 Firmware Update v4.6.3.7 disconnects my ISP

Ah, gald you found the problem. Ya some new FW can cause some user configurations problems. 
Glad it's working now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 25

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP Modem/ONT and RBR when in ROUTER mode for 1 minute then turn back ON the Modem then RBR...

Message 2 of 25
Danielsoh
Aspirant

Tried that, didn't work.

However, I found that the VLAN Bridging was turned off! Switched it on and managed to get connected again. The firmware update must have changed that setting.

Thanks for replying FURRYe36

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, gald you found the problem. Ya some new FW can cause some user configurations problems. 
Glad it's working now. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 4 of 25
Danielsoh
Aspirant

Thanks. Will do.
Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 25
MH135
Tutor

V4.6.3.7 is the WORSE UPDATE EVER! Lowered my bandwidth for every device between 12-18 mbps. Called Comcast and they said nothing is wrong on their end. I cabled my laptop to do a speed test and sure enough, I got my 600+mbps but wifi, nope. I tried to rollback the firmware to the previous V3 but the satellite freezes at 99% and the router does not give you a "YES" button to proceed with the manual update.

I have tried resetting my Orbi RBR 750 and have nothing but the same issues. We need a fix ASAP!
Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Was this speed test result thru the RBRs Speed  test app or external speed test app? 

@MH135 wrote:
V4.6.3.7 is the WORSE UPDATE EVER! Lowered my bandwidth for every device between 12-18 mbps. Called Comcast and they said nothing is wrong on their end. I cabled my laptop to do a speed test and sure enough, I got my 600+mbps but wifi, nope. I tried to rollback the firmware to the previous V3 but the satellite freezes at 99% and the router does not give you a "YES" button to proceed with the manual update.

I have tried resetting my Orbi RBR 750 and have nothing but the same issues. We need a fix ASAP!

Message 8 of 25
raven_au
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Was this speed test result thru the RBRs Speed  test app or external speed test app? 

@MH135 wrote:

Yes, the speed test ...

But IIUC the last few posts imply the slow down is via WiFi.

I'm pretty sure that same problem exists with the v3 firmware too, it's just not as bad.

I don't have a clear picture of how many of my devices are affected by this in v3 but this does sound like what I have seen.

Two of my devices are definitely affected, where the sync rate drops to less that 10mbps.

It also ins't clear to me if the Orbi app sync rate is inaccurrate either because I have seen significant thoughput problems and at other times not so much and the sync rate increases shortly after.

Assuming there is some mechanism for variable bit rate on demand with AX, at the very least there is a problem with it, probably more so with v4.

Message 9 of 25
raven_au
Virtuoso

I
@raven_au wrote:

Two of my devices are definitely affected, where the sync rate drops to less that 10mbps.

It also ins't clear to me if the Orbi app sync rate is inaccurrate either because I have seen significant thoughput problems and at other times not so much and the sync rate increases shortly after.

Assuming there is some mechanism for variable bit rate on demand with AX, at the very least there is a problem with it, probably more so with v4.

I should also add that the devices I see like this are in fairly poor wireless locations, obstacles like brick walls etc.

Other devies seem fine so far.

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try wired Speed test with a PC and Ooklas installable speed test app. 

The RBRs speed test is giving false speed results. 

Message 11 of 25
MH135
Tutor

Cabled, I get my 600+ mbps download. Wirelessly, I get between 12-18 mbps on all devices. There is no way to revert to the previous firmware either and NG has already stated it's an issue. Doing a factory reset did not work either in case my configurations had something to do with it. V4.6.3.7 is a TERRIBLE update. If NG doesn't release a fix for this by next week, it's bye bye Orbi.

I can't go to a work meeting via zoom and keep being disconnected, and I don't want to be tethered to the Orbi since it's in noisy environment.

I don't understand why can't a patch be sent out immediately to at least let us rollback this awful firmware to the V3 that worked perfectly. Or give us control of how to designate bandwidth to each device. It feels like at least once every year NG has to release a terrible firmware update and then take its sweet time in patching it up.

Btw, the ppl on here who try to help, thank you! I went through the community to find fixes for my Ring cameras and it worked great! Now I have to find the forums again to get my Ring cameras back up since I had to do a factory reset to see if it fixed FW V4.6.3.7 issue and to no avail, nothing.
Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you speed testing? What devices are you speed testing with?

Does wired PC and speed test app work? 

Try disabling AX Mode on the RBR after the factory reset and setup from scratch.

Also try setting CTS to 2347...

@MH135 wrote:
Cabled, I get my 600+ mbps download. Wirelessly, I get between 12-18 mbps on all devices. There is no way to revert to the previous firmware either and NG has already stated it's an issue. Doing a factory reset did not work either in case my configurations had something to do with it. V4.6.3.7 is a TERRIBLE update. If NG doesn't release a fix for this by next week, it's bye bye Orbi.

I can't go to a work meeting via zoom and keep being disconnected, and I don't want to be tethered to the Orbi since it's in noisy environment.

I don't understand why can't a patch be sent out immediately to at least let us rollback this awful firmware to the V3 that worked perfectly. Or give us control of how to designate bandwidth to each device. It feels like at least once every year NG has to release a terrible firmware update and then take its sweet time in patching it up.

Btw, the ppl on here who try to help, thank you! I went through the community to find fixes for my Ring cameras and it worked great! Now I have to find the forums again to get my Ring cameras back up since I had to do a factory reset to see if it fixed FW V4.6.3.7 issue and to no avail, nothing.

Message 13 of 25
RickDeNatale
Aspirant

I'm seeing similar issues with my RBR750 since the update to v4.6.3.7

1. first, the connection to/through the RBS750 became unstable and unreliable. My Apple TV in the bedroom near the satellite kept buffering and at times completely lost internet connectivity.
  2. then the RBR750 would "go red" and lose the internet. This happened when I was on with Apple support trying to solve a usb issue on a Mac mini, and they couldn't connect to screen share. I had to climb a ladder and power the router off and on again to get it to reboot.  This happened again last night when I was hosting a zoom meeting.

I did connect the bedroom Apple TV via Ethernet.

Is the solution to downgrade the firmware?

I have gigabit fiber internet from Ting the only interface is the fiber to Ethernet adapter.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP adapter and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Where is the RBR located that you have to climb a ladder to get to it? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Disable AX mode on the RBR. 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@RickDeNatale wrote:

I'm seeing similar issues with my RBR750 since the update to v4.6.3.7

1. first, the connection to/through the RBS750 became unstable and unreliable. My Apple TV in the bedroom near the satellite kept buffering and at times completely lost internet connectivity.
  2. then the RBR750 would "go red" and lose the internet. This happened when I was on with Apple support trying to solve a usb issue on a Mac mini, and they couldn't connect to screen share. I had to climb a ladder and power the router off and on again to get it to reboot.  This happened again last night when I was hosting a zoom meeting.

I did connect the bedroom Apple TV via Ethernet.

Is the solution to downgrade the firmware?

I have gigabit fiber internet from Ting the only interface is the fiber to Ethernet adapter.

Message 15 of 25
RickDeNatale
Aspirant

First off everything was working for over a year before Netgear pushed the firmware update.

The house is about 2500 sq ft. The router is on an upstairs wall which necessitated the stepladder.

Since nothing else changed, I doubt this is anything but a firmware issue.
Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is aware of the problems and also recommended disabling AX mode as well and setting CTS to 2347.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/212958...

Lets all hope the next FW update fixes this. Please be patient. 

@RickDeNatale wrote:
First off everything was working for over a year before Netgear pushed the firmware update.

The house is about 2500 sq ft. The router is on an upstairs wall which necessitated the stepladder.

Since nothing else changed, I doubt this is anything but a firmware issue.

Message 17 of 25
Sideshowart
Aspirant

Disabling the AX mode, Slows speeds to a crawl, makes the wifi virtually unusable. So its a trade off have Wifi that works great but disconnects 2x a day, or super low speeds but without interuption. Unleess I am missing something in settings that will help improve speed.

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable AX along with setting CTS to 2347 seems to help others posting about this. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Sideshowart wrote:

Disabling the AX mode, Slows speeds to a crawl, makes the wifi virtually unusable. So its a trade off have Wifi that works great but disconnects 2x a day, or super low speeds but without interuption. Unleess I am missing something in settings that will help improve speed.

Message 19 of 25
Sideshowart
Aspirant

Im using an RBK843s AX5700 in a 3000 sq home with 2 satelites and they are both 30 or more feet. All the neighbors have Wifi. Ill try the channel recomendations. it just sucks that they cant roll back the firmware since everything worked great before.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

What channels are they using? 

Any of them close by? 

Try using only 1 RBS instead of 2.

Message 21 of 25
RickDeNatale
Aspirant

So 

This is really starting to p1$$ me off!

After following the suggestions re AX and CTS. My Speedtest results, using the router's built-in speed test cut my download speed about in half.

Then upon arriving back home after dinner, the router was flashing red again, and my iPad showed a notification from the Orbi app, saying something about changes to parental controls.  My only child is a dog, and I don't give a hoot what she does on the internet.

Cycling the power brought the router back up, but alas I couldn't connect to it via WiFi. I eventually discovered that it managed to change the WiFi password.  I use a password which is a long sentence including blanks, and the router decided to change the blanks to  

what is Netgear thinking?  I really don't want an invisible nanny mucking with my house infrastructure and neither does my wife, or my dog, who both get upset with me when the internet goes down.

Message 22 of 25
RickDeNatale
Aspirant

In my case the  AX  change cuts my wan speed and doesn't seem to do anything to fix the disconnect issue

@Sideshowart wrote:

Message 23 of 25
FatBoy96
Initiate

I second this comment. This is completely unacceptable performance. I purchased and installed the RBR750 and two RBS750 satellites at my daughter's rental house at college for her and her friends. Everything seemed to work great until I returned home. It's been disconnecting every single day. Need to reboot the modem and routers to re-establish the connections. I live 7 hours away, so I'm trying to talk her through everything. C'mon, Netgear, this is ridiculous! Fix it!!!!!

Message 24 of 25
Sideshowart
Aspirant

Ive now tried every channel combination and various locations for the satellite but it has only gotten worse. Im trying a factory reset tomorrow. If that fails im disconnecting and hooking up my old nighthawk. It is a real shame when the product is great and worked fantastic but they fail to accept that the firmware failed and roll it back to a stable version, or at least give us the option to.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7