Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 and RBS750 new firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Mstrbig
Master

RBR750 and RBS750 new firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

A new firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 push for the RBR750 router and RBS750 satellite came out today.

Since I always install the latest firmware when it comes out, I updated my RBK753S system. The update went flawlessly, all devices populated successfully and everything is stable. I don't notice any issues. It loads faster and seems to have better speed. 

Time will tell in the next couple of days.

Message 1 of 38
Ace321
Apprentice

Re: RBR750 and RBS750 new firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Did they fix DNS errors issue?

Message 2 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

I am also one of those who upgrade immediately. But this time I haven’t done that because of two reasons.

1. On the support site for RBK753 I don’t see the new version yet even though orbi app says there is a newer version available.
2. The port forwarding is broken on the 3.2.16.6 due to nat-loopback and Netgear had given me a firmware with hot-fix for that. Need to confirm that the issue is fixed on this version before I upgrade.

Can someone who has upgraded confirm the 2nd one please.

Thanks

Message 3 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@orbira wrote:
I am also one of those who upgrade immediately. But this time I haven’t done that because of two reasons.

1. On the support site for RBK753 I don’t see the new version yet even though orbi app says there is a newer version available.
2. The port forwarding is broken on the 3.2.16.6 due to nat-loopback and Netgear had given me a firmware with hot-fix for that. Need to confirm that the issue is fixed on this version before I upgrade.

Thanks

1. Netgear never posts immediately, when a new firmware comes out, as they randomly push to users first. I updated the day it came out and see no issues whatsoever.

2. Port Forwanding is NOT broken on the 3.2.16.6 firmware, as I have never had the issue, and have been successfully using 3.2.16.6 on more than 2 dozen RBK753 systems. The 3.2.15.32.1.3.25 Hotfix you refer to was an older version of the firmware, that may have been patched, for certain user situations. But, from what I can see, it does not affect Windows 10 users. I would guess your NAT loopback may be caused by possible double NAT setup, gaming system, or some device or setting on your system. 

Message 4 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

1. Netgear never posts immediately, when a new firmware comes out, as they randomly push to users first. I updated the day it came out and see no issues whatsoever.

2. Port Forwanding is NOT broken on the 3.2.16.6 firmware, as I have never had the issue, and have been successfully using 3.2.16.6 on more than 2 dozen RBK753 systems. The 3.2.15.32.1.3.25 Hotfix you refer to was an older version of the firmware, that may have been patched, for certain user situations. But, from what I can see, it does not affect Windows 10 users. I would guess your NAT loopback may be caused by possible double NAT setup, gaming system, or some device or setting on your system. 

On the first point agree, although they have posted for RBR850, but haven't done so for RBR750 and I am sure they will get around it.

On 2nd definitely the NAT loopback issue is there and in general for most folks port forwarding will work so long as you are using it from outside of your local network (which is mostly the case) but for the machines within the network, it is broken. Please see the discussion here. Also the hotfix version of the firmware that I am currently running is V3.2.16.6_1.4.7.

Thanks

Message 5 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@orbira wrote:

On 2nd definitely the NAT loopback issue is there and in general for most folks port forwarding will work so long as you are using it from outside of your local network (which is mostly the case) but for the machines within the network, it is broken. Please see the discussion here. Also the hotfix version of the firmware that I am currently running is V3.2.16.6_1.4.7.

I've read that discussion here and still disagree that all Netgear Orbi RBK753 (RBR750, RBS750) users are experiencing this issue. The OP in that discussion was using or at least posted the wrong unreachable test site, possibly by accident. The site we use is mypublicip.com.

We have dozens of devices setup using port forwarding, with no issues whatsoever. 

Could you give me a configuration, you have where you've experienced that port forwarding is broken? We will gladly test it on our end. I would need whether you are setup as Router, (with or without Double NAT) or Access Point, specific devices that fail and actual ports attempting to use, and whether TCP, UDP or both?

Message 6 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

I've read that discussion here and still disagree that all Netgear Orbi RBK753 (RBR750, RBS750) users are experiencing this issue. The OP in that discussion was using or at least posted the wrong unreachable test site, possibly by accident. The site we use is mypublicip.com.

We have dozens of devices setup using port forwarding, with no issues whatsoever. 

Could you give me a configuration, you have where you've experienced that port forwarding is broken? We will gladly test it on our end. I would need whether you are setup as Router, (with or without Double NAT) or Access Point, specific devices that fail and actual ports attempting to use, and whether TCP, UDP or both?

Not sure if there is value in restarting the discussion. But to answer your question, I am using in Router mode, no double NAT. A pretty simple straight forward setup. Are you able to confirm what is the value in this file

/proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables

On the new firmware. And also if you have any router not upgraded yet what do you see there in that file for those.

Basically if the value is non-zero in this file this will preventent NAT loopback. And the hotfix was only to echo 0 in this file.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@orbira wrote:

Not sure if there is value in restarting the discussion. But to answer your question, I am using in Router mode, no double NAT. A pretty simple straight forward setup. Are you able to confirm what is the value in this file

/proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables

On the new firmware. And also if you have any router not upgraded yet what do you see there in that file for those.

Basically if the value is non-zero in this file this will preventent NAT loopback. And the hotfix was only to echo 0 in this file.

Thanks,

I'm not saying re-open the discussion. But when I see a post that says this is an issue with all RBR750 units, and I'm not experiencing it, I like to know why. Unfortunately your info does not help, if you can't show your devices that you have port forwarding settings for.

I checked both bridge-nf-call-iptables and bridge-nf-call-ip6tables and both are empty files.

I also checked my RBR750 test router that has not been updated to the latest firmware and both files are the same.

I had no NAT loopback issues, with the previous firmware and have none with the latest firmware. 

If you could give me the port forwarding I asked for, I will gladly try to duplicate your issue. I hope this answers your question.

Message 8 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

You can upgrade to test your own loop back configuration. If it's not fixed, then downgrade. Check the RBRs web page to see if the new version is available there.

@orbira wrote:

Thanks

Message 9 of 38
larryindublin
Luminary

Wouldn't the typical way of releasing a hotfix version assume that the fix rolls foward into new (and higher numbered) versions?

Message 10 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can upgrade to test your own loop back configuration. If it's not fixed, then downgrade. Check the RBRs web page to see if the new version is available there.

Yup, will give it a shot.

Thanks

Message 11 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@larryindublin wrote:

Wouldn't the typical way of releasing a hotfix version assume that the fix rolls foward into new (and higher numbered) versions?

I would hope so, but given the file (/proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables) is empty (info provided by Mstrbig, unless it is fixed some other way, I don't see same patch applied. 

Thanks

Message 12 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@orbira wrote:

@larryindublin wrote:

I would hope so, but given the file (/proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables) is empty (info provided by Mstrbig, unless it is fixed some other way, I don't see same patch applied. 

Thanks

The patch was possibly created for those experiencing the issue you have, and others that don't have the issue would not need it. That same patched firmware was given to me to solve an IPv6 issue, but it didn't work, so I reflashed 3.2.16.6.

I've never experienced the NAT issue posted. I'm thinking, certain configurations mixed with certain devices and Internet Service Providers, and even possible Regions, could possibly play a role in some users experiencing certain issues while others don't.

And as an example the issue reported, with IPv6, that I and others experienced, was not experienced by @FURRYe38. He stated he has never experienced it.

Message 13 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

FWIW, upgraded the firmware and the port forwarding continues to work. So all good here. Glad I am off the custom hot fix to main stream firmware.

Thanks
Message 14 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

Great news. Glad it's fixed

Message 15 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

Great news. Glad it's fixed

Although interestingly enough, it does have 0 in the file

root@RBR750:/# cat /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables

So interesting to see how the same firmware has different settings.

Message 16 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

The fix made in a different area then where your looking as well. Glad it's working for you though. 

Message 17 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@orbira wrote:

Although interestingly enough, it does have 0 in the file

root@RBR750:/# cat /proc/sys/net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables 0

So interesting to see how the same firmware has different settings.

I checked my "bridge-nf-call-iptables" this morning and my file is blank.

I'm guessing maybe your file did not get overwritten when you upgraded your firmware. 

Message 18 of 38
orbira
Apprentice

@Mstrbig wrote:

I checked my "bridge-nf-call-iptables" this morning and my file is blank.

I'm guessing maybe your file did not get overwritten when you upgraded your firmware. 

Yup possible, but I am may be sometime I will trying making it empty and see if the problem resurfaces.

Message 19 of 38
ctships
Aspirant

I updated the firmware and lost 1 of 2 sattelites. I moved it next to the router but it wont connect. Looking for any help...

Message 20 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure RBS updated FW with same version as RBR. 

Factory reset the RBR and RBS...

Message 21 of 38
Bma398
Aspirant

upgraded to V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 via the  ORBI App, within 24 hours Orbi was having trouble talking to FIOS router, even with static IP assigned the orbi WAN port was showing no connection to router.

had to factory reset the orbi to get it to work, once i went thur new setup, orbi seems to be working 

i did end up changing the port on FIOS router and changing out ethernet cable.

just posting in case other had this issue with firmware upgrade.

Message 22 of 38
Mstrbig
Master

@Bma398 wrote:

upgraded to V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 via the  ORBI App, within 24 hours Orbi was having trouble talking to FIOS router, even with static IP assigned the orbi WAN port was showing no connection to router.

had to factory reset the orbi to get it to work, once i went thur new setup, orbi seems to be working 

It's always a good idea, after a firmware update, to reboot the Orbi and an internet modem or modem/router one may have. 

Message 23 of 38
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF both RBR and FIOS unit for 30 seconds, then back ON with the FIOS unit first, then RBR. 

@Bma398 wrote:

Message 24 of 38
fstarne
Aspirant

Upgraded my CBR750 to firmware 3.2.16.18 and RBS750 Satellite to 3.2.16.22.  I've noticed that the Orbi app on my phone and the web interface on the CBR750 no longer show which devices are connected to the satellite.  Only shows devices connected to the router itself.

If I log into the satellite directly I can see the connected devices there.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7