Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 streaming issues

NC_Chris
Aspirant

RBR750 streaming issues

TLDR; upgraded to RBR750 from RBR50 and constant streaming issues from all platforms (Netflix, Prime, YTTV, even norditrack bike).  Moved everything back to RBR50 and zero issues.  

Details:  We have approximately 20 wireless devices (thermostats, appliances, phones/computers, and smart-TV's) in the house.  Decided to upgrade to WIFI6 as our cell phones support it.  I kept everything the same (SSID/Password) and all the devices associated fine to the RBR750 and satallites.  Everything is up to date in terms of firmware across all devices.  

I have 1G ATT fiber in the house and speed tests were amazing.  Router was almost 1Gb speed, all my older devices were >100Mbps and my wifi 6 devices were getting close to 300Mbps.  Then opened Netflix and constant buffering/reduced quality of the picture from all video devices, same for prime/Disney/etc.  We use mostly Fire TV (Cube/Stick all 4k) but were also having streaming issues with our Norditrack spin bike.  The Main TV is literally 10 feet away from the base RBR750 and it could not hold a 4k stream for longer than 60 seconds without buffering or severe quality issues.  

I ran fast.com test (netflix) from the silk browser on the Fire Cube and saw >100Mbps but could not hold a steady picture.  Tried swapping out the Cube for stick, same issue.  Ensured no other video streams were running, same issue.  I have an open ticket with netgear support but so far they only suggested to reset the RBR750 and start over which I have done twice now, no change.  

I joined my neighbors RBR50 network with the fireTV cube, zero issues.  Back to the RBR750 and constact quality problems.  Were both on the same ATT gear/fiber.  I could see the Fire Cube was connecting to the main router so it's a not a backhaul issue.  

ATT modem is 5268AC, wireless is disabled, am doing a double NAT but again never a problem on the RBR50.  

Thankfully swapping back to my older RBR50 solved my issues but I still want to use wifi6. 

Anyone else seeing these issues?  Anyone found a solution?  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 streaming issues

Please post about this over inthe Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
NC_Chris
Aspirant

done

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor enabled on the RBR? 

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Do you have DMZ enabled on the modem for the RBR in router mode? This would be recommended. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7