Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

cruisencode
Apprentice

@xnolightx wrote:

While on the phone with a level 2 NG tech yesterday we reverted my firmware back to 3.1.5.23. We initially had just set the RBR850 to AP mode, but out of curiosity I went ahead and put it back to full router mode. That has completely eliminated dropped connections and I'm not experiencing any issues. 

What ever was broken in 3.2.11 seems to have also been broken in 3.2.9.2. I wasn't keeping up with the firmware version numbers that my RBR850 had installed prior to having 3.2.11 but it seems it was not 3.2.9.2. 

I hope this helps!

I had 3.2.9.2 before 3.2.10.11, and it worked fine.  I have not tried downgrading yet, though.

Message 51 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully this will help get those users systems back to stable while NG works on this. 

@xnolightx wrote:

While on the phone with a level 2 NG tech yesterday we reverted my firmware back to 3.1.5.23. We initially had just set the RBR850 to AP mode, but out of curiosity I went ahead and put it back to full router mode. That has completely eliminated dropped connections and I'm not experiencing any issues. 

What ever was broken in 3.2.11 seems to have also been broken in 3.2.9.2. I wasn't keeping up with the firmware version numbers that my RBR850 had installed prior to having 3.2.11 but it seems it was not 3.2.9.2. 

I hope this helps!

Message 52 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Thanks for the info - i'll try this as well and see if it fixes my drops.

Fingers crossed!

@xnolightx wrote:

I hope this helps!

Message 53 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 54 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having dropout issues, which are really disrupting working from home.  NG needs to do an updated firmware to fix this asap.  This just started happening, as before this was rock solid.  NG if you reading please issue a new firmware and fix now.  Too many people working from home to have these issues.

I ended up hardwiring to my router and have not issues, so definitely wireless router issue.  

Message 55 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices. 

@DBV wrote:

I am also having dropout issues, which are really disrupting working from home.  NG needs to do an updated firmware to fix this asap.  This just started happening, as before this was rock solid.  NG if you reading please issue a new firmware and fix now.  Too many people working from home to have these issues.

I ended up hardwiring to my router and have not issues, so definitely wireless router issue.  

Message 56 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Hey, an idea I had, after you downgraded to v3.1.5.23, what happens if you re-applied v3.2.9.2? 

If you can check this out. 

Of course, I hope that the RBR would not go out and re-download v10.11. Not sure if it would do this. Smiley Frustrated

@xnolightx wrote:

I hope this helps!

Message 57 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes - tried that too and still having issues.  Not sure what do to now.

Message 58 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to change the CTS and RTS values again after the reset. Be sure to reboot yorur ISP modem or power IT off for 30 seconds, then back ON, Do this during the reset of the RBR. 

If this still fails for you, You might try v3.1.5.23 on your RBR

@DBV wrote:

Message 59 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks - have people that have done a factory rest have no issues then?  

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to change the CTS and RTS values again after the reset. Be sure to reboot yorur ISP modem or power IT off for 30 seconds, then back ON, Do this during the reset of the RBR. 

If this still fails for you, You might try v3.1.5.23 on your RBR

@DBV wrote:

Message 60 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

If this still fails for you, You might try v3.1.5.23 on your RBR.

Message 61 of 362
Poolrad
Star

I've tried everthing possible and still no luck, I'm running a business from home and can't deal with this anymore. I'm way past my ability to return my orbi so I'm out $700 spent on it, I just ordered a velop wifi 6 system that will come in tomorrow. Very disappointed in Netgear, shameful you broke my ability to connect and at the absolute worst time while having to work from home with the virus. You should have immediately flashed everyone back to a prior working firmware, your inability to act is causing more and more frustration and ill will.

Message 62 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try v3.1.5.23 on your RBR. @xnolightx mentioned his returned to stable operation. 

Or use your prior router as your main host router and configure the RBR for AP mode. 

Be sure to check your CTS and RTS values. If they are at 64, please change both to 2347. Reboot both RBR and wireless devices.

If this still fails, Please contact the forum moderator if your having problems with the lastest version of FW:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/ORBI-RBR850-frequent-disconnects-to-WoW-server/m-p/1871943/...

@Poolrad wrote:

I've tried everthing possible and still no luck, I'm running a business from home and can't deal with this anymore. I'm way past my ability to return my orbi so I'm out $700 spent on it, I just ordered a velop wifi 6 system that will come in tomorrow. Very disappointed in Netgear, shameful you broke my ability to connect and at the absolute worst time while having to work from home with the virus. You should have immediately flashed everyone back to a prior working firmware, your inability to act is causing more and more frustration and ill will.

Message 63 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Poolrad wrote:

That is what I am afraid of.  I really don't have time to do all types of troubleshooting for it not to work.  Netgear needs to issue an immediate firmware fix now or offer to refund the money I spent on this, since I am past the return point and I will be the Velop system too.

Message 64 of 362
xnolightx
Star

Reverting to 3.1.5.23 worked great until the device suddenly decided to update the firmware again. SMH!!!

Google to the rescue. I managed to find the instructions for telnet on a community forum here. For those of you who are interested:

To get back to 3.1.5.23 I had to do the following:

1) Log into the satellite's administration page directly (via the satellite's IP address) and click on firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 firmware version.

2) Log into the RBR (main unit) and click on Administration\Firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 version on the RBR (main unit).

3) Once everything has restarted, log into the main router's debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and click the enable Telnet button.

4) On a windows pc open a command prompt. Type telnet 192.168.1.1

5) Once a telnet session is established type:

5.1 nvram set auto_update_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

6) On the debug page disable telnet.

You will be on 3.1.5.23 and your Orbi will no longer automatically reach out for firmware updates.

Message 65 of 362
Poolrad
Star

I gave up, tech line couldn't give any ETA. Christian couldn't give any details in my PM chats and I see no communication from Netgear anywhere on this issue. So I decided my business and my time is more important than beta testing their product, I'll move to a more stable solution.

Message 66 of 362
xnolightx
Star

Sorry, had to make one edit on my instructions in my previous post. The auto_update_enable should be auto_upgrade_enable. Revised instructions below.

1) Log into the satellite's administration page directly (via the satellite's IP address) and click on firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 firmware version.

2) Log into the RBR (main unit) and click on Administration\Firmware update. Load the 3.1.5.23 version on the RBR (main unit).

3) Once everything has restarted, log into the main router's debug page (192.168.1.1/debug.htm) and click the enable Telnet button.

5.1 nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

You will be on 3.1.5.23 and your Orbi will no longer automatically reach out for firmware updates.

Message 67 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

@Poolrad wrote:

I gave up, tech line couldn't give any ETA. Christian couldn't give any details in my PM chats and I see no communication from Netgear anywhere on this issue. So I decided my business and my time is more important than beta testing their product, I'll move to a more stable solution.

Message 68 of 362
sprtxgy
Aspirant

I  just confirmed I am having the same issue as well. I had comcast come out since I noticed the problems since Monday (9th).  Everything checked out and so I decided to try my old Asus Router I kept around as  test.  No more dropped connections.   I looked to see if this was reported.  
Now I will try to revert to the older firmware.

Message 69 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be interesting to see if you loaded v3.2.9.2 after v3.1...

@xnolightx wrote:

Sorry, had to make one edit on my instructions in my previous post. The auto_update_enable should be auto_upgrade_enable. Revised instructions below.

5.1 nvram set auto_upgrade_enable=0

5.2 nvram commit

5.3 exit

Message 70 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Give this a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

@DBV wrote:
That is what I am afraid of.  I really don't have time to do all types of troubleshooting for it not to work.  Netgear needs to issue an immediate firmware fix now or offer to refund the money I spent on this, since I am past the return point and I will be the Velop system too.

Message 71 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if reverting to v3.1 version gets your system stable again. 

@sprtxgy wrote:

I  just confirmed I am having the same issue as well. I had comcast come out since I noticed the problems since Monday (9th).  Everything checked out and so I decided to try my old Asus Router I kept around as  test.  No more dropped connections.   I looked to see if this was reported.  
Now I will try to revert to the older firmware.

Message 72 of 362
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

After downgrading to FW 3.1.5.23 and doing a factory reset of both the router and satellite, my network has been stable so far.  Hopefully NG gets an update out to all of us users and their tech agents about what they're doing to solve the FW issue, once they find the root cause.

Message 73 of 362
xnolightx
Star

@MeGrimlock do make sure to telnet into your RBR and turn off auto_upgrade_enable otherwise you'll be in the same boat I was this morning wondering why things suddenly started disconnecting again!

Thanks for confirming this worked for you as well!

Message 74 of 362
DPirkl
Tutor

I have had the same issues of dropped Skpe for Business meetings and calls starting 3 days ago both connected and Wifi. Reset both modem and RBR850 and satellite (RBK852) but no change.  Called Spectrum and they looked at my records and saw only 1 drop and that was when I didi the modem reboot. Spectum is not the problem.  I pulled the RBR850 and replace it with my old N900.  The problem is now totally gone. I called Netgear and have a incident ticket number. They told me that others are having the same issue as this thread indicates.  I was told by NG this morning that I could revert back to an earlier FW but I have not the time.  I would like to know if NG has any timing on a fix any time soon because if they don't, I will try the FW change route.  If they are close to a fix I will stay on my old N900 until released.  It seems there is a lot of fiddling and not a prescibed work thru that has to go with reverting back to the earlier FW based on what I have read here that I would like to avoid if we are looking at a quick FW fix.

NG Please share your expected fix timing!

Message 75 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7