rcw3
Tutor

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

v.3.2.10.11

Actiontec 3200

Windstream

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@rcw3 wrote:

Bought the RBR850 a few weeks ago and everything was fine until about a week ago, then I started getting disconnected during large downloads making it very painful to download large files.  I also get disconnected continuously (every 10 minutes or so) from WoW.  It seems to occur when using ethernet off the Orbi as well.  it DOES NOT happen with I plug directly into the DSL modem's ethernet ports.  

I was about to return it for a refund when I saw these threads.  I might consider waiting for a new firmware update, but it's very disconcerting that the level of testing would allow something this bad that impacts so many users.

Message 151 of 362
xnolightx
Star

After adding updates1.netgear.com to the blocked sites list my RBR850 was no longer able to reach out for updates last night and is still sitting on 3.1.5.23. The only wacky thing is that the RBS (satellite) did manage to reach out and has upgraded to 3.2.9.2. That doesn't appear to be an issue because I have not experienced dropped connections with the satellite on this version.

For those of you who want to try this and you are using your Orbi in router mode, all you will need to do is:

1) In the Advanced\Security\Block Sites page add a keyword for updates1.netgear.com (make sure to hit the apply button in the upper right after adding the keyword).

2) Revert your RBR850 firmware to 3.1.5.23.

3) Confirm you are still seeing updates1.netgear.com on the Block Sites page.

4) Click on Administration\Firmware Update and wait a few moments. You should see the web GUI say that the service is unreachable under the status column for the RBR850.

If you are using the Orbi in AP mode the same principal applies, but you will need to add updates1.netgear.com to the blocked sites on your upstream router rather than the Orbi.

I hope this helps people get on with their digital lives while netgear figures out what they have broken.

Message 152 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for finding this and letting us know. Hope it helps out. 

@xnolightx wrote:

After adding updates1.netgear.com to the blocked sites list my RBR850 was no longer able to reach out for updates last night and is still sitting on 3.1.5.23. The only wacky thing is that the RBS (satellite) did manage to reach out and has upgraded to 3.2.9.2. That doesn't appear to be an issue because I have not experienced dropped connections with the satellite on this version.

For those of you who want to try this and you are using your Orbi in router mode, all you will need to do is:

1) In the Advanced\Security\Block Sites page add a keyword for updates1.netgear.com (make sure to hit the apply button in the upper right after adding the keyword).

4) Click on Administration\Firmware Update and wait a few moments. You should see the web GUI say that the service is unreachable under the status column for the RBR850.

If you are using the Orbi in AP mode the same principal applies, but you will need to add updates1.netgear.com to the blocked sites on your upstream router rather than the Orbi.

I hope this helps people get on with their digital lives while netgear figures out what they have broken.

Message 153 of 362
Sean101
Aspirant

Hello Everyone,

To anyone that has this issue specially for gaming consoles that needs port forwarding, kindly set your gaming console's IP to DMZ server and disable UPnP. 

You can check these links for guidance:

https://kb.netgear.com/24306/How-do-I-enable-Universal-Plug-and-Play-on-my-Nighthawk-router

https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Note: Rebooting the router might be required for the settings to take effect and make sure that changes are still there after rebooting.

Message 154 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Has this solved your connection problems with v10.11 FW? 

Usually its not recommended to place a game console in the DMZ. uPnP should be handling port configurations. 

@Sean101 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

To anyone that has this issue specially for gaming consoles that needs port forwarding, kindly set your gaming console's IP to DMZ server and disable UPnP. 

You can check these links for guidance:

https://kb.netgear.com/24306/How-do-I-enable-Universal-Plug-and-Play-on-my-Nighthawk-router

https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Note: Rebooting the router might be required for the settings to take effect and make sure that changes are still there after rebooting.

Message 155 of 362
Sean101
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  Yes it did,

I agree this is just a workaround for only 1 device. If you have more than 1 device that needs specific ports to work then this is not a solution. NETGEAR should make the UPnP work properly with no disconnections.

Message 156 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still issues.  Impossible to work at home with these constant disconnects and troubleshooting.

Netgear - are you doing anything?  I will probably have to buy a new wireless router too, as I gave my older Orbi's away.  If so, expect reimbursement for a broken product.  Please correct this issue now and just make it work.  Go back to whatever firmware worked and put it on your serves asap!

Message 157 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

For those users having problems after v10.11 was applied on your system, downgrade to v3.1 by using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

This should get your system stable again in router mode and keep from updating to anything else on the RBR. The RBS will be fine if it's updated.

@DBV wrote:

Still issues.  Impossible to work at home with these constant disconnects and troubleshooting.

Netgear - are you doing anything?  I will probably have to buy a new wireless router too, as I gave my older Orbi's away.  If so, expect reimbursement for a broken product.  Please correct this issue now and just make it work.  Go back to whatever firmware worked and put it on your serves asap!

Message 158 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I'll foward this to NG for review. 

@Sean101 wrote:

Yes it did,

I agree this is just a workaround for only 1 device. If you have more than 1 device that needs specific ports to work then this is not a solution. NETGEAR should make the UPnP work properly with no disconnections.

Message 159 of 362
quethrosar
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For those users having problems after v10.11 was applied on your system, downgrade to v3.1 by using this process:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1...

This should get your system stable again in router mode and keep from updating to anything else on the RBR. The RBS will be fine if it's updated.

@DBV wrote:

do you work for netgear? you don't offer any fixes.

Message 160 of 362
Chivvalry
Star

This works.  Make sure you check the "Always" box under keyword blocking.  Thank you!

@xnolightx wrote:

Message 161 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

The link is to a work around solution to get your system up and running. Seems to be working for others. Please give it a try. 

@quethrosar wrote:

do you work for netgear? you don't offer any fixes.

Message 162 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Hope NG will get all this fixed so users can move forward. 

Thank you for letting us know and being patient. 

@Chivvalry wrote:

This works.  Make sure you check the "Always" box under keyword blocking.  Thank you!

Message 163 of 362
Rogue_Ai
Guide

Hi all,

just want to add my discontent with how Netgear is handling this issue. I too have regular drop-outs of video conferences, calls, VDI sessions since March 9. I spend hours trying to solve it and will later tonight try to downgrade even further. I already downgraded to an earlier firmware but the system updated to V3.2.9.2_1.2.4.

For a $700 router this is unacceptable. Due to the coronavirus situation both my wife and I have to work from home, and both of us can't really work efficiently with constantly being dropped out of calls or VDI sessions. If the workaround mentioned above does not work, I'll have to buy a new router tomorrow morning.

Very unhappy.

Message 164 of 362
DPirkl
Tutor

I reverted FW to 3.2.8.5 via NG Tech Support.  Still having the same issue of dropping.  I saw that there is an earlier version 3.2.7.2 but I went to the 3.1.5.23 and put that FW in the Router only (RBS is still on 3.2.8.5).  I it seems to work.  did the site blocking as suggested.  My question is does the 3.2.7.2 also have the issue and that is why everyone is jumping down to 3.1.5.23?

Thanks for all the great work from all in this thread.  More work happining here than at NG!

Message 165 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Something with v10.11 seems to have caused prior versions even after manually downloading and installing them to be broke. If users came up thru the versions before v10.11 was released, this issue wasn't seen or a problem. Or wasn't reported or posted about back then if it was a problem. 

Message 166 of 362
DBV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone hear an update from Netgear or they just doing nothing for people that purchsed their most expensive router.  Really poor support from them.

If it was not been for the people on this community, most would be lost.  🙂

Message 167 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothings as of yet. NG is working on it. There maybe some delay due to CD19 virus. Business are pushing people to work from home so this may cuase delay. NG is aware of things. No time frame. 

Message 168 of 362
Hawkeye8
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues with quick signal dropout as well with the RBR850. I noticed I was having audio streaming drop outs with Sonos (ethernet to BOOST to speakers via mesh network), Elder Scrolls Online (PC via ethernet), vairious online games (PS4 via ethernet) and YouTube/Netflix restarts and drop outs (Roku and Android devices via ethernet and also wifi). 

System is Netgear Orbi RBK852 (RBR850/RBS850) and a Netgear CM1200 Modem (my own) with Spectrum ISP.

Steps I took to no avail:

- Rebooted Modem & Orbis (of course)

- Checked stats on modem and Orbi and could not find anything that stood out

- Checked Modem direct and the PC direct worked perfectly with no drop outs

- Checked CTS and RTS values and those were set to 2347 for both as suggested

- Checked Modem in case it was a low signal that for some reason worked direct but didn't work with a router, no issues stood out

- Tried rolling back drivers to 3.9.2 and there was no change in the issue

- Used my protection plan to get a new Orbi System...same issue right out of the box without upgrading firmware. It was 3.9.2 out of the box originally. This means anyone picking up a new Orbi AX6000 will have issues most likely.

- Tried running a ping in CMD (pinged Google for a couple nights in a row) and would get a few drop outs (~10) but less then what I was actually experiencing which was around 4 or 5 an hour
- Tried about a dozen other fixes I have research with none of them working

- Found my old router, connected it up and had no issues

The only thing that has worked so far is the fix I found on here where you roll back the firmware to 3.1.5.23 on the Satellite, then the Router, then factory reset both (I did Satellite first then the Router). Then blocked the update site (remember to click always and then aply) and so far it has stuck and has worked. I honestly think someone at Netgear was quitting made this code to spite the company, because when a system right out of the box has issues with your firmware retroactively, it had to be on purpose. Thanks Netgear, probably not recommending this to anyone now. Also a huge thanks to the individual who figured out this fix!

Message 169 of 362
quethrosar
Star

This seems to be a problem with anything long tcp connection based. I do not think udp has the issue. Once a buffer gets full the connection freezes and drops. In video it can fill faster than others.

This is my theory without actually seeing data.
Message 170 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

I've been getting regular disconnects again on my cell phone that last only as long as it takes to reconnect. to WiFi  I've also had the same sorts of issues with Teams meetings over wired connection and WebEx over wireless (two different devices, one on VPN, one not).  Thankfully I'm able to connect via phone for audio, so that stays going while my meeting connections are down.

I'm not sure how much of this can be blamed on the Netgear firmware, cloud infrastructure, or something else at this point.  My streaming box (2019 nvidia Shield Pro) seems to be dealing with the connection alright at this point, probably because the disconnects aren't lasting long enough to burn through the entire buffer.  If I can spare another hour or so, I may re-downgrade my firmware (since I was initally caught in the upgrade loop prior to people here figuring out the way to block DNS and prior to Netgear pulling down the buggy firmware from upgrade servers).  I've said it before, but I'll say it again; I expected a LOT better quality from a $700 WiFi system.

Message 171 of 362
d1mmy
Apprentice

Another very annoying result of this bug is that random IoT devices connected via WiFi are always unavailable.  In my case, it's WeMo.  I've got about a dozen WeMo devices and at any given moment there seems to be a 50/50 chance that at least one is offline.

Message 172 of 362
angelogouvis
Guide

I can confirm the similar successful results as @xnolightx did in his last post with regards to the workaround of rollback to v3.1.5.23_1.0.46.  Since I followed the steps below, I have not had any disconnects, and my Router won't auto-upgrade; its "parked" on v3.1.5.23_1.0.46 (which seems to work just fine).  Here are the exact changes I did:

1. On the Router in the "Advanced/Security/Block Sites" section, I set Blocking for the update sites listed in the firmware (be sure to set it for "Always" parameter under Keyword Blocking):

a) http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
b) updates1.netgear.com

2. Router and Satellite nvram settings (how to do this is described earlier in this thread; not sure if these settings made any difference):

auto_upgrade_enable=0

ver_check_enable=0

3. Downgraded both Router (RBR850) and Satellite (RBS850) to v3.1.5.23_1.0.46 firmware (note: different binary firmware files for each)

a) Even with the blocking the Satellite still auto-upgraded to 3.2.9.2, but it did not seem to make a difference with regards to the disconnects.  As long as the Router was on v3.1.5.23_1.0.46, even from machines connected via the Satellite, I cannot reproduce the disconnects.  I can only conclude that the issue causing the disconnects must lie in the logic of the router firmware.

I personally plan to stay with this "stable" configuration until Netgear can build a new firmware version that works correctly.  I suspect it may take them months to get this sorted out.

Message 173 of 362
DoctorA
Luminary

Both my router and satellite are still working on V3.2.10.11. Since my disconnecting devices and apps are not essential, I am afraid to do any firmware changes in this National emergency situation to further screw up my internet connection. My son is doing his important graduate school work from his new Macbook pro laptop with no problems. 

I wonder, if there is a power outage, what firmware version will be installed after restart and is that firmware stable?

Message 174 of 362
Rogue_Ai
Guide

Hi all,

quick update. Since I downgraded and froze the upgrade process as described a couple posts earlier I don't have the regular quick drop outs.

I now have another problem that for whatever reason my devices (witnesses multiple times on my Iphone and Ipad) seem to lose internet connectivity completely. Only a WIFI disconnect and reconnect connects them back online.

This new bug (with the old firmware) is happening less often than the quick disconnect, so I'll try it like this for a bit. Bad thing is your phone won't really show you that it is not connected to the internet unless you do something actively. Polling emails just won't work but won't cause an error message. I woke up this morning and was surprised how few emails I have gotten over night until I figured out there was NO connectivity at all on my iphone.

Still SUPER unhappy with Netgear and about to go leave a review where I bought my Orbi to warn potential users about not buying this piece of sh*t and rather wait if this gets fixed.

Message 175 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7