Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

migsta
Apprentice

So, downloading from this link today will give me the right firmware with the fix?  This is the same link I downloaded from a week ago and it was the broken file.  The same link, same file size, same filename downloaded tody includes the fix for both router and satellites.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061769/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-10-11

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 276 of 362
ekhalil
Master

Yes, this is the correct firmware.
Message 277 of 362
warpdag
Apprentice

The firmware never changed
Message 278 of 362
migsta
Apprentice

That's odd then because I actually updated mine by downloading the file - so a manual update vs pushed automatically from their server. about a week ago.  Yet, after applying this firmware, my issues remained with outdoor security cameras (for example) simply unable to connect to the RBK853 router and/or satellites.  This has been there since I got them installed - they are outdoor cameras.  If I put Nest WiFi or Asus Zen WiFi, there is absolutely no problem with the cameras connected and their range outdoors is better than Orbi AX?  An indoor camera, Arlo Baby, is really choppy with Orbi AX but not with Asus or Nest?  Don't suspect this firmware fixes these issues?

Always lots of internet disconnect, Orbi app losing devices and satellites and only recognizing the router, etc. are all issues that this Orbi AX has since I bought it.  Nothing like this on the othe mesh systems though save Asus which is brutal for moving devices from one mesh point to another - makes that almost not worth it.  Nest is the most stable.

Message 279 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Try changing your CTS and RTS values, default on v10.11 is 64. IF this isn't working for some of your wireless devcies, try 2304 or 2347. 

@migsta wrote:

That's odd then because I actually updated mine by downloading the file - so a manual update vs pushed automatically from their server. about a week ago.  Yet, after applying this firmware, my issues remained with outdoor security cameras (for example) simply unable to connect to the RBK853 router and/or satellites.  This has been there since I got them installed - they are outdoor cameras.  If I put Nest WiFi or Asus Zen WiFi, there is absolutely no problem with the cameras connected and their range outdoors is better than Orbi AX?  An indoor camera, Arlo Baby, is really choppy with Orbi AX but not with Asus or Nest?  Don't suspect this firmware fixes these issues?

Always lots of internet disconnect, Orbi app losing devices and satellites and only recognizing the router, etc. are all issues that this Orbi AX has since I bought it.  Nothing like this on the othe mesh systems though save Asus which is brutal for moving devices from one mesh point to another - makes that almost not worth it.  Nest is the most stable.

Message 280 of 362
TURBOGUARD
Tutor

Edit: Okay so I set my CTS and RTS both to 2347 going to see if that changes anything.
Message 281 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know.

@TURBOGUARD wrote:
Edit: Okay so I set my CTS and RTS both to 2347 going to see if that changes anything.

Message 282 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to get your system re-updated? 

@MeGrimlock wrote:

I'm only seeing 3.2.9.2 as the auto downloaded FW?

Message 283 of 362
migsta
Apprentice

Orbi AX is just garbage. No connection to any outdoor cameras, indoor Arlo is horrible and there is no outdoor strength on these things. Tried all settings for WiFi Chanel’s and RT and CT settings but nothing. Time to sell this piece of garbage.
Message 284 of 362
Wombatmatty
Guide

@migsta

I have an earlier post that references the CTS RTS. I had the same problem and for some reason had to significantly lower my figures. My previous Orbi was set to 2347 and worked fine. That setting wasn’t working on the new system. The default of 64 was better, but not that great. Setting the number to 25 cleared up most of my disconnect issues, but not sure why it had to be so since 2347 works just fine on my old system.
Message 285 of 362
ZOOShen
Star

Which firmware has the fix? This morning I saw a update pushing asking me to upgrade but the new one is still 3.2.10.11 Which is the same one on my Orbi AX.
Message 286 of 362
cruisencode
Apprentice

That's the version that's working for me now.  I had downgraded to 3.1 and then let it upgrade to 3.2.10.11 after they "fixed" it.  It's working well now.

Message 287 of 362
wase471111
Apprentice

@migsta wrote:
Orbi AX is just garbage. No connection to any outdoor cameras, indoor Arlo is horrible and there is no outdoor strength on these things. Tried all settings for WiFi Chanel’s and RT and CT settings but nothing. Time to sell this piece of garbage.

thanks for that help ful post!

Message 288 of 362
migsta
Apprentice

It’s frustrating. There is no answer in sight. Asus, Orbi AC and Nest WiFi no issues with these cameras but Orbi AX refuses to work. I have tried every setting but the cameras will not connect to it. I might get one at times but it loses it within seconds or minutes and never comes back. And, the Arlo Baby camera is simply unwatchable with Orbi AX due to constant pixelating. I notice in the app to that sometimes the satellites drop and the app can’t see devices. In general, speeds are great in house and it works save with the cameras. I have reset everything, including to factory defaults, but nothing works.
Message 289 of 362
ekhalil
Master

@dragonmastr wrote:

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I've been using Netgear routers for decades now both for myself and for my parents (I'm basically their IT guy).  With the debacle for the last week and with essentially a confirmation that Netgear has either a backdoor or some kind of shady monitoring service installed on the router, this is definitely the last time that I ever buy a router from Netgear.  It may very well turn out that other manufacturers are doing the exact same thing.  However, we don't know that for sure.  We do know that Netgear sure as hell is.

I don't think it's a backdoor. 🙂 I think Netgear is -simply- using the Cloud connection to our routers for subscription services that seem to be coming soon.

Subscription services like Armor and Circle (which already exist on Orbi AC systems and other Netgear routers) will need a mechanism to monitor licenses, and similar to many other companies using the cloud interface is one way to manage licincing of those services.

Message 290 of 362
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@migsta

Have you tried disabling the AX feature on RBR850 to see if the issue goes away with the cameras? A lot of these issues with AX routers occur due to developers of the wireless clients, cameras, IoT devices and etc. are lagging in keeping up with technology updates. Most of the issues with Nest Cams, Ring Doorbell, Alexa, Arlo, etc. can be resolved by having those clients updated. Theses issues you are seeing are most likely related to the client devices having issues with one or more new features introduced in the 802.11AX wifi standard. We all had the same issues before when 802.11N and 802.11AC standards first came around it took a while for end-user client manufacturers to catch up to the router manufacturers.

If you are having issues with getting the cameras connected to Orbi AX try the following. Disable AX feature on your Orbi AX and let the cameras connect once connected enable the AX again and see if you have issues with connectivity. Also, make sure that your client devices are fully up to date with software and firmware.

Message 291 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

My two NEST controllers and 3 D-Link cameras are working well with Orbi AX. Though my cameras are not outdoors. 

Message 292 of 362
TURBOGUARD
Tutor

I have 3 Nest cameras, 1 indoor and 2 outdoor. All working on latest FW
Message 293 of 362
migsta
Apprentice

That’s great. Mine doesn’t work but works great on Nest WiFi. Overall way more stable with Nest and the app is legions ahead of Orbi app. Guess it’s time to sell the RBK853 while it has some value.
Message 294 of 362
McLong
Apprentice

Glad you found a solution that works. I seriously considered the nest but have used netgear for years and wanted AX. 

Message 295 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

And did the last FW re-load fix your problems on the WoW services? 

@McLong wrote:

Glad you found a solution that works. I seriously considered the nest but have used netgear for years and wanted AX. 

Message 296 of 362
RafS
Apprentice

One issue I found with this firmware that I didn't have with previous firmwares is that is doesn't reserve static IP addresses  that I assigned to devices and hands them out in order.  When the device that the static IP address was assigned to "asks" for it, it does get it, but the other device, that got it originally, never gets a new one, and stays off the network. A simple reboot does not solve the issue. The only way to figure out what didn't get one is go through the list and see what's not showing up and then reboot that particular device.  Never had to do that before this firmware. 

Message 297 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Please make a new post about issues your seeing. This thread is mostly for the frequenct disconnects seen during the time frame NG was having problems with there cloud services. Which has been resolved. 

Thank you. 

@RafS wrote:

One issue I found with this firmware that I didn't have with previous firmwares is that is doesn't reserve static IP addresses  that I assigned to devices and hands them out in order.  When the device that the static IP address was assigned to "asks" for it, it does get it, but the other device, that got it originally, never gets a new one, and stays off the network. A simple reboot does not solve the issue. The only way to figure out what didn't get one is go through the list and see what's not showing up and then reboot that particular device.  Never had to do that before this firmware. 

Message 298 of 362
RafS
Apprentice

I thought this would be why some people are still having disconnects and why I posted it in here.  If two devices are sharing an IP address, they would obviously continue to disconnect from the network. The two devices shared an IP address and while that's not supposed to happen, that's exactly what did happen and it's what may be happening to folks who may still be experiencing issues, like with the cameras. 

Message 299 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the disconnects were when the NG cloud services became problematic. Most of the disconnects should be resolved. Also changing of the CTS and RTS values can held as well. If there is a problem with IP addressing, I would make a new thread about it and lets discuss it there. Also know that there are differences between STATIC and Reservation IP addresses. 

@RafS wrote:

I thought this would be why some people are still having disconnects and why I posted it in here.  If two devices are sharing an IP address, they would obviously continue to disconnect from the network. The two devices shared an IP address and while that's not supposed to happen, that's exactly what did happen and it's what may be happening to folks who may still be experiencing issues, like with the cameras. 

Message 300 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7