Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST

migsta
Apprentice

I am not bashing anything but I am frustrated that this costly WiFi system simply does not work for me.I mention what’s wrong in hopes of getting help and I am entitled to suggest, from my experience with it, Netgear Orbi AX is not a stable or good system. It does not work and the app’s are slow, cumbersome and buggy, both iOS and browser based. At the moment, this system is useless for me and I am out a lot of coin so it’s not fair.
Message 351 of 362
warpdag
Apprentice

Why is it not cool? You have a problem with freedom of speech?
Message 352 of 362
wase471111
Apprentice

your entire post here just bashed everything about the system, so not sure what you are even saying..

Message 353 of 362
warpdag
Apprentice

Like I said, you’re free to keep your Orbi. Freedom of choice, I respect that. You should respect that too.
Message 354 of 362
wase471111
Apprentice

freedom of speech is fine, but sometimes when you complain about the same thing over and over, its not productive in any way, it only aggravates others, so whats the point of this?

He had a problem with his system, he couldnt get it right, he got rid of it and bought an Amplify, we get it..

Count how times he has posted this in this thread, and you will see what I mean..

Message 355 of 362
migsta
Apprentice

Anyways, I will keep my comments to myself until I get my RBR850 replaced. After that, it will be good or bad that is reported.
Message 356 of 362
jakevsnake
Aspirant

I have been trying to get the RBK852 setup to work consistently without causing internet issues for my Wifi devices.  Ive updated firmware and modified setting according to suggestions on this board.  For $700 I didnt expect to be a beta tester.  This thing is going back to Best Buy and I will get something else.  Huge disappointment as I have enjoyed my RBR50 for the past few years but now my money goes elsewhere.

Message 357 of 362
Photo-Craig
Tutor

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST + ALL ORBI's

Folks, for every change you make to your router there is a "COST". Meaning it may provide an increase in speed but at what loss. Routers are a balancing act. By MAXing out your CTS/RTS, you are telling your wireless router WITH satellites to just PUSH data through like a bulldozer. If two systems ask for data at the same time, who cares let them collide and destroy each other and eventually retransmit. Small data that may be ok, but larger data submissions will keep trying until it is successful. What that equates to is when pushing larger data your network will actually slow down. It would have been better to say something like, ok let the small data collide and retransmit if needed, but lager cars "request" a pause so it gets a turn without colliding. This is what CTS/RTS does. Setting it to 2347 or 2346 is the same, that means let the traffic flow at a four way intersection with no stop signs and no lights, may the luckiest survive. Usually the end result is slower network (unless everything you transmit is small). So what is the magic number? Experts says “it depends” on your network and size of data. However most people are not going to look into micro logs and see how many packets are colliding. A “SAFE” number is 500. So you ask yourself who did Netgear Orbi put 64. They did that so there would be few problems as possible. Almost ever data stream would request a stop light, then flow. Problem is that slows down the network too much. Maxing it at 2346 is CHAOS, so listen to the experts, choose around 500. I think that is the happy medium.

For those who are interested in this and want one more reason to NOT use 2347 (Max), lets suppose you are on a PC and connected to a orbi satellite. You are downloading a larger file, oddly enough it is slower than ever! Why? Well your house is probably busy, lots of little data files are at the cross road intersection with no stop sign or light and is retransmitting when they collide. It is probably a busy time on the network and your BIG data request has to compete and hopefully finds a time where it can slip in between every little chaotic packet (kind of like driving an 18 wheeler in a motorcycle fest on a narrow highway). Odds are you will complain that your network is too slow. BUT if you had, say, a CTS/RTS setting of around 500, then when that big packet is requested, it magically creates a four way light at the intersection, gets the instant green light, goes through, and once passes allows the CHAOS to continue after it is done.

Hope this helps!

Message 358 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Frequent Disconnects Starting March 9th AM EST + ALL ORBI's

I believe NG said they put 64 in use for there environment. Not sure why of if they intended to push it to the public. I was told that users should use 2347 or default settings based on there experiences and its up to users to make the change. I had noticed bad behaviors with one of my NEST controllers. Since changing to 2347, I haven't seen any issues since. 

Most NG wifi defaults to these values on most of there products anyways:

Fragmentation Length (256-2346):
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 2347

Has worked for most of there products for years.

The values should be used as default setings and if users experience issues, then try making changes to the CTS/RTS values. Changing of the values is a valid troubleshooting step. 

I guess we'll see if these values change upon next FW update. 

Message 359 of 362
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

I am facing the same issue.

How can I telnet to stop the auto upgrade for RBR850? There is no enable telnet option like RBR50.

Message 360 of 362
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW are you using? This issues this this tread was not related to FW.

My system has been working well on v32:

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V3.2.15.32_1.3.25

CPU Load: 10.23%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 469 MB/867 MB

System Uptime: 10 days 14:49:29

Message 361 of 362
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

I have the latest version.
When I run it in Router mode I get devices disconnects and when try to re-connect I get message -No Internet-.
It gets ok with AP mode
Message 362 of 362
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7