Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 and RBS850 Daisy Chain where is the option?

CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

RBR850 and RBS850 Daisy Chain where is the option?

Hi Community,

I have 1 x RBR850 and 4 x RBS850

The RBR850 is on 1 far side of the house attached to my ISP's Router Modem(wifi disabled) and the RBS850 are at longer and longer distances from the RBR850. The furthest RBS850 form the RBR850 is around 12m away on the same floor.

I was looking for an option to Daisy Chain having read online this was possible. But when i logged in to look at the Wifi Settings there is nothing there to check/uncheck.

The RBR850 is in AP mode (if that makes a difference)

The reason the RBR850 is in AP mode is because of the issues apparently encountered with ZIGGO (ISP) and their compatibility with ORBI.

Can anyone offer advice as to why i dont see the Daisy Chain option in WiFi settings?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

Re: RBR850 and RBS850 Daisy Chain where is the option?

ANd that is precose;y what I have done and the result is as I describe. 😊

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Diasy Chain is automatic on Orbi AX systems.

Message 2 of 10
CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

Hi there,

So I presume therefore that there is no need to choose between the 2 different choices (as detailed elsewhere)

The new AX Orbi systems automatically choose which is appropriate for the set up in your location?

It would be good to be able to see from the backend orbilogin what was currently being used, regardless I think.

Regards

Craig

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Based on placement, distance and how you turn ON the RBS, yes. 

Message 4 of 10
CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

Well in my case that is 4 x RBS850's plugged in one after the other in distance sequence after booting up the RBR850 first. Shortest distance to   RBR850 first and then from there to the furthest away.

Currently, via Orbi Login i ahve 3 satellites showing up as being connected directly to the RBR850 (no Daisychain it seems) and only one satellite (the one furthest away from the router) connected to a satellite upstairs (presumably then connecting through to the router)

Backhaul status for ALL satellites shows as GOOD.

I was just expecting to see the nearest satellite showing as connected to the router and then the others showing as being connected to the preceding satellite in a chain, but that doesnt seem to be the case in my set up.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the RBS placed out in a line, not start formation, from the RBR, then the first RBS that you need to turn on is the one closest to the RBR and wait for it to sync, then the next RBS closest to the 1st RBS, wait for it to synce, then so on out to the last RBS.

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 10
CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

ANd that is precose;y what I have done and the result is as I describe. 😊

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Then if you open the Orbi app, and select on the Network Map icon, all the RBS should in be in a line and connected to each other and only the nearest one should be connected to the RBR.

Message 8 of 10
CraigRichesNL
Aspirant

Nope they are connected separately to the Router (RBR850) Maybe too many satellites in use?

Anyway, giving up now as it is obviously not going to work in Daisy Chain mode and there is no way to change that.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd turn OFF two RBS. Go with the other two RBS. Turn on RBS on and check the app. Them make sure the other RBS is farther out at a distance then turn it on. 

You might try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7