Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 fails FW update

mrwkbrdr
Star

RBR850 fails FW update

RBS850 FW updated to 3.1.6.11

RBR850 fails to update, stuck on FW 3.1.5.23, it try's to download the FW and then says update failed.

I paid $699 for a product that won't complete a FW update.

Netgear case # 41906990

No one at NG knows anything about this new RBK852, maybe NG should not release a product they are unable to support.

Message 1 of 9
Bandito
Luminary

I would try a factory reset of the satellite and then re-sync it with the router to see if that works or not.  You can also manually update the firmware on the satellite itself.  You'll need to find the satellite's IP address by logging into the router.  Once you have the address, you can log directly into the satellite and manually update the firmware after you download it from the Netgear support site.  Just be sure that you're using the RBS firmware for the satellite as there are separate firmware files for the Satellites and the Router.

Message 2 of 9
Bandito
Luminary

It looks like Netgear still hasn't officially released 3.1.6.11 yet, so the second option to manually update the firmware isn't available to you as of right now.

Message 3 of 9
mrwkbrdr
Star

I would try a factory reset of the satellite and then re-sync it with the router to see if that works or not.  You can also manually update the firmware on the satellite itself.  You'll need to find the satellite's IP address by logging into the router.  Once you have the address, you can log directly into the satellite and manually update the firmware after you download it from the Netgear support site.  Just be sure that you're using the RBS firmware for the satellite as there are separate firmware files for the Satellites and the Router.

The satellite has the update, its the router that won't update.

Message 4 of 9
mrwkbrdr
Star

It looks like Netgear still hasn't officially released 3.1.6.11 yet, so the second option to manually update the firmware isn't available to you as of right now.

If that is true why does my satellite have FW 3.1.6.11

Message 5 of 9
Bandito
Luminary

Sorry about that.  I didn't catch that it was the router experiencing the problem,

It would seem that the router is recognizing that there's an update available, it just won't install for you.  I'd still try a factory reset of the router to see if that will correct the update problem.  If that doesn't do the trick then you can either exchange your set where you purchased it or work with Netgear support to get it resolved.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 9
Chuck_M
Mentor

@mrwkbrdr wrote:

If that is true why does my satellite have FW 3.1.6.11

If I am not mistaken, the 3.1.6.11 is the beta.    Were you a beta tester of previous Orbi products?  I was and immediately got updated to the beta version (which is fine with me).   I think if you are in one beta program, your are in them all.

Message 7 of 9
NateIU
Tutor

I think Netgear accidentally put it live — that’s when I got it.

It’s possible your Satellite updated but not the Router by the time they pulled it. Bad luck!
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact @Christian_R 

This version is up on the beta forum and he can help you get the files you need. 

You can connect to the RBS and directly update the RBS using its web page. 

@mrwkbrdr wrote:

RBS850 FW updated to 3.1.6.11

RBR850 fails to update, stuck on FW 3.1.5.23, it try's to download the FW and then says update failed.

I paid $699 for a product that won't complete a FW update.

Netgear case # 41906990

No one at NG knows anything about this new RBK852, maybe NG should not release a product they are unable to support.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7