Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 needs a reboot every 2-4 days - how to stop?

donawalt
Virtuoso

RBR850 needs a reboot every 2-4 days - how to stop?

I wanted to share with you a problem I have been seeing with my RBR850 installation plus 4 satellites. Periodically, maybe every 2-4 days, the performance in streaming from multiple Apple TV apps (like AT&T TV, BritBox), streaming stops working - it is unable to download or stream live or recorded content. It keeps saying things, depending on the app, like "Still trying to download", then "Unable to stream try again later", etc. Restarting the Apple TV device, or deleting all the Apple TV apps and starting over, does not help. But if I reboot the RBR850, things resume working perfectly right away.

First some prelims - the network ordinarily seems to be working perfectly:
- Netgear CM1200 modem show very few errors, SNR is perfectly in range, power levels are perfect, no errors in the log, just notices;
- Topology is 3 RBS850 satellites wirelessly connected to the RBR850, and a 4th satellite RBS850 from the third floor daisy chained wirelessly to the second floor RBS850 to the router. The Apple TV/TV device is located on the 1st floor about 10 feet from a satellite RBS850 devices, which is direct linked, not daisy chained, to the RBR850. This is how the system was set up automatically, I didn't interfere with how it was set up. Everything is wireless, no wired backhauls etc. All RBR and RBS devices are at least 30 feet apart, the RBSs are all pretty centrally located in the house around an open staircase that goes from first to third floor. The first floor has a second satellite in the family room/kitchen, about 45 feet from the 1st floor staircase RBS device;
- I am not subscribed to the Armor security service, and I do not have a guest network configured;
- I have set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only, WAN aggregation on, AX is enabled on 2.4 and 5.0GHz, no Port Forwarding, no Dynamic DNS, no VPN, UPnP is OFF, IPv6 is operational, MTU size is 1500,
- All RBBs and RBR are on firmware rev V3.2.17.12_1.4.14; Netgear CM1200 modem is on 3.02.01 - these are the latest versions as far as I can see;
- Running a speed test from the iOS Orbi app, COMCAST -> RBR850, shows full speed regularly - ~1400 Mbps down, 42 Mbps up;
- Speed test on the Apple TV device in question is usually ~75-100 Mbps down, 20-30 Mbps up;
- orbilogin.net device list shows all satellites with a "Good" status; restarting the satellite nearest the TV/Apple TV comes up "blue", showing good connection to router;
- Running the XFinity app shows no problems in the area;
- I have tried both OpenDNS (what I normally used) and the Comcast DNS servers, and the problem still reoccurs every 2-4 days;
- The Apple TV is connected via 5 GHz; checking for congestion on the 5 GHz frequency (I have the network set to use channel 44), shows no other networks using that in this area (I am in a 3 floors plus basement townhouse, so other networks are around but not a lot).

When the problem occurs, speed test from the Apple TV speed test app goes to < 10Mbps down; running speed test from an iPad in the room is close to the same - and this iPad normally will be ~230 Mbps download in that location.

Restarting the closest satellite does not make things better.

So it doesn't seem to be confined to the Apple TV device, it doesn't seem to be just one rogue streaming app, only restarting the RBR850 seems to help (power off/on or reboot through the Orbi app), Comcast is running fine, there is no network congestion, the modem seems fine, and restarting the RBR850 seems to immediately fix the problem.

Is there anything you can think of that I could try to fix this? It seems like a bug to me - the RBR850 just gets in a state it doesn't work and needs a reboot. I am seriously considering other options as this is very aggravating to deal with when the family is sitting down watch a movie every 2-4 days.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible or your wifi environment is getting too saturated with wifi signals having that many RBS online. Remember, these things cover up to a good decent range so the wifi over lap will be out there a ways. So this should allow for more coverage and range using less RBS units. I get great coverage with just two or some times even 1 RBS in a 5000 sq ft home including basement. 

Keep the 4th RBS as a backup in case something happens. 

Enjoy.Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 26

All Replies
donawalt
Virtuoso

Some other config settings I forgot to add in the OP:

20/40 Coexistance is checked ON (mess up above);

WMM is on for 2.4 and 5.0;

CTS/RTS is 2347 for both 2.4 and 5.0;

Preambe mode Auto;

Power transmit is 100%.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

So the Apple TV is the only device to exhibit this problem? If so, you might check with the Mfr as well on this. 

When this happens, which orbi unit is the ATV connected too?

What happens if you set 40Mhz only on the RBR.

LAG is enabled on the RBR and CM1200? 

Message 3 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

No, it happens on all devices as far as I know. It just happened again this morning, and I checked my iPhone it was getting download speeds of 5 Mb per second. I rebooted the router, and the iPhone was getting 200 Mb per second.

Should I consider downgrading my firmware to Version 3.2.16.22? This has happened since I moved into this house, and I actually upgraded to Version 3.2.17.12 when I moved into the house. So I can say it's always happened on this firmware, and it did not happen on the prior version. But that could be circumstantial.

Do you mean I should uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence"? That just affects 2.4GHz, and these devices are all on 5 GHz right? If that's what you want me to try, I'll try that.

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok thats good to know. 

I would disable LAG on the CM and RBR. Apple and power cycle everything OFF for 1 minute then back ON. 

Was either a power off of the Orbi system performed after update to v12 or a factory reset and setup from scratch done? 

Yes only effects 2.4, something to try however in this case may not do anything. 

I'm on v12 have have been for: LAG disable on my CM1200

Basic Information
 CPU Load16.9118%
 Memory Usage(Used/Total)208MB/496MB
 Flash Usage(Used/Total)2955MB/4096MB
 Network Session(Active/Total)488/65536
 System Uptime29:20:48:58

Message 5 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

Power off of the Orbi was done after the update, which was done in early February.

Are you saying:

I would disable LAG on the CM and RBR. Apple and power cycle everything OFF for 1 minute then back ON. AND reactivate LAG

Sorry, what does this mean:

I'm on v12 have have been for: LAG disable on my CM1200

Should I be comparing your stats to mine? Is that on the CM1200 modem? I can't remember seeing anything like that.

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Do not enable LAG on either CM or RBR after disabling it. 

Message 7 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

Thanks, I'll try that and the complete power cycle after I see if the 40MHz worked.

I am curious, why not have LAG enabled?

Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to see if this happens with LAG disabled. We know something is happening with it enabled. 

Message 9 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

ot it. As soon as I see something one way or the other on the 40 MHz off, I'll turn off LAG and full power recycle. I'll report back, thanks!

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

Good morning! This morning everything was still fine, although it's only been 24 hours since I turned off the 20/40 setting. So today since it was opportune, I powered off all 4 satellites, then the router, then the cable modem. I waited a good minute, then powered up the cable modem, when it was ready powered up the router, then when it was ready went around and powered up the 4 satellites. Once everything was up, I checked orbilogin.net and all satellites reported as "Good". There was nothing bad in the log. The cable modem signals were good and nothing in the log. I did a speed test and all was fine. So we will see how that goes for a few days, if I have a problem next will be to turn off LAG and power cycle everything.

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Keep us posted. 

Message 13 of 26
Mikey94025
Hero

@donawalt wrote:

I wanted to share with you a problem I have been seeing with my RBR850 installation plus 4 satellites. Periodically, maybe every 2-4 days, the performance in streaming from multiple Apple TV apps (like AT&T TV, BritBox), streaming stops working - it is unable to download or stream live or recorded content. It keeps saying things, depending on the app, like "Still trying to download", then "Unable to stream try again later", etc. Restarting the Apple TV device, or deleting all the Apple TV apps and starting over, does not help. But if I reboot the RBR850, things resume working perfectly right away.

Your problem may be different from my RBR850 system issue, but I suggest try running without your satellites to eliminate any satellite-specific cause.  I have an RBR850 and 3 satellites, but only run 1 satellite.  After running for a day or two with more than 1 satellite, then any device connected to the extra satellite will not have internet connectivity.  I don't recall what that satellite status said when this internet connectivity disruption occurs.  Devices connected to the RBR850 continue to run just fine.

This was my original post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBS850-satellites-lose-internet-and-gateway-connectivity-se... . This afflicts 2 of my 3 satellites, so I have run with only 1 satellite for a long time.  I need the 1 satellite running as an access point.  The issue may be caused by too many satellites for my 3-story, ~3K square feet home but I didn't have a problem running 3 satellites with my RBR50 system.  I have tried positioning the satellites in various other places, as far as possible from the base, but without any success.

Every time a new firmware version appears I try turning on a second satellite to see if the issue might be fixed, but even with the latest V3.2.17.12 I still see the issue.  I'm not interested in playing with power levels or doing more experimentation.  I'm able to continue with 2 of my satellites powered off, hoping for a future firmware fix.

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you contacted NG support about your problem? Hoping NG will fix your problem with a FW upate maybe fruitless if you don't let them know about it. 

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Your problem may be different from my RBR850 system issue, but I suggest try running without your satellites to eliminate any satellite-specific cause.  I have an RBR850 and 3 satellites, but only run 1 satellite.  After running for a day or two with more than 1 satellite, then any device connected to the extra satellite will not have internet connectivity.  I don't recall what that satellite status said when this internet connectivity disruption occurs.  Devices connected to the RBR850 continue to run just fine.

This was my original post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBS850-satellites-lose-internet-and-gateway-connectivity-se... . This afflicts 2 of my 3 satellites, so I have run with only 1 satellite for a long time.  I need the 1 satellite running as an access point.  The issue may be caused by too many satellites for my 3-story, ~3K square feet home but I didn't have a problem running 3 satellites with my RBR50 system.  I have tried positioning the satellites in various other places, as far as possible from the base, but without any success.

Every time a new firmware version appears I try turning on a second satellite to see if the issue might be fixed, but even with the latest V3.2.17.12 I still see the issue.  I'm not interested in playing with power levels or doing more experimentation.  I'm able to continue with 2 of my satellites powered off, hoping for a future firmware fix.

Message 15 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

Back to my original post - it failed again tonight - upload speed was about 3 Mbps. So I went to the next suggestion @FURRYe38 I disabled LAG at the modem, removed the second cable modem -> RBR cable, power ccled the modem, and power cycled the router. I guess we will see how that works!

Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, keep us posted...

Message 17 of 26
MarkEncinitas
Aspirant

Mikey - you seem to be describing a very similar issue to what I'm having.  

It's driving me nuts.  

I'm running RBR850 with 2 satellites; randomly during the day I just lose connection to devices but it seems only those connected to the satellites, not the main router.  

Not sure if this is also what is causing problems in this post as I've seen restarting the router seems to help.  

Anyways, thanks.

Message 18 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 it failed again last night, couldn't even stream at all, speeds very low. Previously in the last step I had disabled LAG at the modem, removed the second cable modem -> RBR cable, power cycled the modem, and power cycled the router.

Yesterday I also moved the satellite further back into the kitchen, still in eye contact and only 20 feet from the TV, but maybe 40 feet from the other staellite on that floor (which is on the other side of a plaster wall). Should I try removing this satellite closes to the TV? I would then have 1 RBR and 3 RBS, an RBS each on floors 1,2 and 3. The RBS is in the basement were the cable comes in.

Or do you have another idea? Thanks for your help!

Message 19 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Darn.

Lets try with just the RBR and 1 RBS and see. 

Starting to wonder if there is hardware problem....Smiley Embarassed

Message 20 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

I am on the same path re: satellites. I actually did remove the 4th satellite, and walked around with a Wifi/RSSI analyzer, and the dignals are fine in that room without it. I was thinking, the thing that makes my config a little different than most is having 4 satellites. So going back to 3 might be a good first try. I would prefer trying this before tkaing 2 more satellites offline, as the network is needed in the house and I suspect there would be some bad dead spots. If you recall, the problem may not manifest itself for 2-3 days.

I do have an identical RBR850 from another house that I could swap in if I needed to try that eventually.

I'll report back! Thanks for your help @FURRYe38 

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, sounds like a good plan.

Let us know how it goes in a few days. 

Message 22 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 here is my update!

It's been 4 days and things are still working like a champ. I tried to use the Apple TV a lot, and it's been perfect. With Speedtest on the Apple TV it's been a pretty consistent 270 Mbps down, 40 Mbps up.

So it does seem like with a 4th satellite, the RBR either got confused, or due to location things would get messed up. It's been running fine with 3 satellites, I guess I didn't need the 4th one. This seems like some sort of bug to me.

This morning I turned Ethernet Port Aggregation back on - we'll see if it breaks or not! 

Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible or your wifi environment is getting too saturated with wifi signals having that many RBS online. Remember, these things cover up to a good decent range so the wifi over lap will be out there a ways. So this should allow for more coverage and range using less RBS units. I get great coverage with just two or some times even 1 RBS in a 5000 sq ft home including basement. 

Keep the 4th RBS as a backup in case something happens. 

Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 26
donawalt
Virtuoso

Ah good insight, thanks @FURRYe38 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7