Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 - no access to interface

FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to do a factory reset on the RBR and this time don't enable Armor and setup from scratch and see if the problem continues or not. This would be helpful to know. 

@kevinroy1974 wrote:

I wonder also if its something to do with armour, im a little hazy on when i enabled the armour security, but i think it was a few days after install, I have disabled it now but same still happening, but i wonder if doing the initial enablement is what triggered it, not 100% sure but I seem to remember the interface being fine but again I cant remember whether it was enabled day 1 or day 4.

Also I have a ticket running with netgear support on this which is ticket number #43658204

Kind Regards

K

Message 51 of 168
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi, All, 

This has been brought up already to our product teams. They are replicating the issue and we are still waiting for the update. They also requested the following information: 

- When did the issue start to happen? Was it only after updating the firmware v3.2.16.6? 
- Router IP (192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) 
- Firmware version
- App version 
- Android / iOS version 
- Network Setup 

- Router LED status if issue re-occur

Looking forward to all your responses. Appreciate the help! 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 52 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

Hello 

I noticed in a few days after the router arrived, mine was fairly new and It did the update to the new firmware at boot time.

My Router IP : is 192.168.0.1   - Specifically to avoid the works network on VPN, so I manually changed it to 0.1.

Firmware Version is : v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

App Verison on Android : v2.6.4.1265

Android Version : 10

Network Setup: Currently only using 2 of the 3 RBK853 Nodes, the Router node and 1 Sattellite as awaiting to move home which will need the 3rd node due to size of the building.

Its a flat network, no VLAN just one router one sat, no ethernet backhaul purely using the wireless backhaul, pretty basic to be honest. The Link to the sat is over 5Ghz at the full 2.4Gbit, I have my Virgin Router in modem mode (so straight through connection to the Routers WAN port) over CAT6,and am on 1.1Gbit internet connection which is delivered from the ISP.

Router LED: These dont change always remain off no LED when the issue occurs as per normal.

I enabled the netgear armour about a week or so in, and had no issues prior as far as i can tell as the Orbi is so new to me (9 days now).

Hope that helps 🙂

Kind Regards

K

Message 53 of 168
bikerapn
Aspirant

Hi,

In my case:

- When did the issue start to happen? >> Was it only after updating the firmware v3.2.16.6? - My RBK853 is only a monthy old and it autoupdated during setup to this version so I have no experience of behavior before.
- Router IP (192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) >> 192.168.1.1
- Firmware version >> V3.2.16.6_1.4.4
- App version  >> Android - 2.6.4.1265; iPadOS 2.7.0.28; Web Chrome, New MS Edge, Firefox (latest of all)
- Android / iOS version >> Android - 11; iPadOS - 14.2
- Network Setup - XFinity router in bridge mode connected to Orbi in AP mode; 2 Satellites both connected via wireless (no direct wiring); IPv6 enabled; Armor enabled

- Router LED status if issue re-occur  >>  No change in LED status

I noticed the problem about 2 weeks ago but it may have been occuring longer.  I installed this about a month ago and once setup I didnt' try as any admin access as I was away.  When I returned and started to work with it, I noticed it right a way.

Andy

Message 54 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@kevinroy1974 wrote:

Hello 

I noticed in a few days after the router arrived, mine was fairly new and It did the update to the new firmware at boot time.

My Router IP : is 192.168.0.1   - Specifically to avoid the works network on VPN, so I manually changed it to 0.1.

Firmware Version is : v3.2.16.6(Router Mode)

App Verison on Android : v2.6.4.1265

Android Version : 10

Network Setup: Currently only using 2 of the 3 RBK853 Nodes, the Router node and 1 Sattellite as awaiting to move home which will need the 3rd node due to size of the building.

Its a flat network, no VLAN just one router one sat, no ethernet backhaul purely using the wireless backhaul, pretty basic to be honest. The Link to the sat is over 5Ghz at the full 2.4Gbit, I have my Virgin Router in modem mode (so straight through connection to the Routers WAN port) over CAT6,and am on 1.1Gbit internet connection which is delivered from the ISP.

Router LED: These dont change always remain off no LED when the issue occurs as per normal.

I enabled the netgear armour about a week or so in, and had no issues prior as far as i can tell as the Orbi is so new to me (9 days now).

Hope that helps 🙂

Kind Regards

K

Message 55 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

@bikerapn 

"Network Setup - XFinity router in bridge mode connected to Orbi in AP mode;" 

To confirm this, the XF router should be in router mode and not bridge if if your Orbi is in AP mode? AP mode requires a host router, not bridged, in front of the Orbi when in AP mode. 

@bikerapn wrote:

Hi,

In my case:

- When did the issue start to happen? >> Was it only after updating the firmware v3.2.16.6? - My RBK853 is only a monthy old and it autoupdated during setup to this version so I have no experience of behavior before.
- App version  >> Android - 2.6.4.1265; iPadOS 2.7.0.28; Web Chrome, New MS Edge, Firefox (latest of all)
- Network Setup - XFinity router in bridge mode connected to Orbi in AP mode; 2 Satellites both connected via wireless (no direct wiring); IPv6 enabled; Armor enabled

I noticed the problem about 2 weeks ago but it may have been occuring longer.  I installed this about a month ago and once setup I didnt' try as any admin access as I was away.  When I returned and started to work with it, I noticed it right a way.

Andy

Message 56 of 168
bikerapn
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@bikerapn 

"Network Setup - XFinity router in bridge mode connected to Orbi in AP mode;" 

To confirm this, the XF router should be in router mode and not bridge if if your Orbi is in AP mode? AP mode requires a host router, not bridged, in front of the Orbi when in AP mode. 

@bikerapn wrote:

Hi,

In my case:

Andy

Oops - absolutely; it is is in router mode ...  my mind said router my fingers typed AP...  😞

Andy

Message 57 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 58 of 168
FarmerBob1
Luminary

I have had this issue for some time. It was long before the current App and FW releases that people are siting or threads that are popping up in the forum. So it's not new for me.

I have noticed, as I think has been posted, that I have no problems with access with a Browser (HTTP/HTTPS) or the App when the RBR has no connection to the Internet or right after a Power Cycle that gives me a limited amount of time to access. The RBR can be connected and operational with my ONT operational, in my case, but with no Internet connection from the ISP. I have no issues accessing the RBSs (2) using HTTP via a browser. The is no "DeBug" access either on the RBR, but the RBSs are fine. Then out of the blue, sometimes access just happens. All during this the Router aspect of the RBR and RBSs works just fine with no hiccups.

My current setup:

· Calix ONT (940/940Mbps Fiber)  >  Orbi 850 in Router Mode connected via PPPoE, WAN VLAN Tagged, FW: 3.2.16.12_1.4.4  >  LAN several CAT8 Trunks to switches . . .

· Two (2) RBSs connected on the 5GHz WLAN.

· Orbi App 2.6.4.1265 on Samsung Galaxy Tab A running One UI 2.5 and Android 10.

· Hardwire from a MacPro running 10.14.6 using most any browser out there.

For years I have had discussions with Netgear in regard to the way they use HTML in their UI and website pages. And now with browsers, first of all Chrome and Chrome based, screening out HTTP addresses for HTTPS and denying access. NG still has their UI HTML pages as HTTP where I have gotten security warnings, if not out and out blocks. So this latest issue, I feel is an external HTML and Orbi Onboard Server conflict. Probably most likely the internal server. When I go to access the RBR is see in the staus of the browsers that they are waiting for a reply from 192.168.0.1, until they timeout. The Orbi App just fails and goes to the Try Again page where none of the options work either. And for years even the way these forum pages work there are things that are not normal or proper for conflict free use.

Message 59 of 168
dmbooth
Aspirant

Brand new RBK853 unboxed and installed on Tuesday 10th Nov. RBR850 is running in Router mode, with PPPoE ISP connection. All devices updated to V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 immediately after setup completed. On Thursday 12th Nov, devices were able to connect to WiFi but there was no internet. Orbi app on Android connected to WiFi would not connect and devices connected to WiFi could not access the router admin web page (router IP address is 192.168.63.1). Router LED was purple. I have had 3 different devices performing PPPoE on this connection previously and have never had an issue with any of them. Logs from some smart devices show they lost connectivity to the cloud around 10pm on Wednesday 11th Nov, so the RBR850 ran for less than 36 hours before apparently having this issue. Rebooted RBR850 and all has been working ok since (approx 17 hours).

- When did the issue start to happen? Was it only after updating the firmware v3.2.16.6? Less than 36 hours after installation
- Router IP (192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) 192.168.63.1
- Firmware version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4
- App version Android app V2.6.4.1265
- Android / iOS version Android v11
- Network Setup RBR850 in router mode with PPPoE, 2 satellites both connected, Armour not enabled

- Router LED status if issue re-occur Purple

Message 60 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 61 of 168
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@dmbooth wrote:

. . . so the RBR850 ran for less than 36 hours before apparently having this issue. Rebooted RBR850 and all has been working ok since (approx 17 hours) . . .

Yesterday they released 3.2.16.22 firmware that for me fixed many things, mainly accessing the RBR from hardwired and WLAN devices and through the Orbi App. To install the new FW you'll need to download it from FW v3.2.16.22  and what I needed to do was Power Cycle the RBR to gain access to the RBR so I could update. Update the RBSs first, then the RBR, "always". But that's once you, it sounds like, finally connect to the Internet.

Who is your ISP? Do they use a Tagged VLAN on the WAN connection? Mine connected to my ONT with Centurylink as my ISP requires a Tagged 201 VLAN on the WAN connection in addition to the PPPoE login. When I redo the setting on my RBR and forget the Tagged VLAN I the pink light on the RBR and no Internet connection. While the LAN and all the devices on it work as they should, but have no Internet connection.

Message 62 of 168
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Just about 24 hours since installing (Dirty) FW v3.2.16.22 and all is mostly well. I have been able to get into the RBR via a hardwire and WLAN connections and the Orbi App (Android) at anytime without any special actions. Although the Orbi App is connecting, it keeps crashing back to the "Detecting Product" page. I have tried many things to cause the crash and the only thing I can think of is it's losing its connection to the RBR since it crashes back to the "Detecting Product" page. Last I did get two enteries for the RBR, one showing the RBR850 with a Green Dot and "Connected Locally"; the other showing the RBR850 with a Red Dot and "Disconnected" with the serial number. Also I'm still getting weird results on speed tests through the app.

Message 63 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also post about this over in the Orbi app forum Sir Orbi...

@FarmerBob1 wrote:

Just about 24 hours since installing (Dirty) FW v3.2.16.22 and all is mostly well. I have been able to get into the RBR via a hardwire and WLAN connections and the Orbi App (Android) at anytime without any special actions. Although the Orbi App is connecting, it keeps crashing back to the "Detecting Product" page. I have tried many things to cause the crash and the only thing I can think of is it's losing its connection to the RBR since it crashes back to the "Detecting Product" page. Last I did get two enteries for the RBR, one showing the RBR850 with a Green Dot and "Connected Locally"; the other showing the RBR850 with a Red Dot and "Disconnected" with the serial number. Also I'm still getting weird results on speed tests through the app.

Message 64 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

Hows the firmware holding up now @FarmerBob1 ?, it must be 48hrs since the last post has it continued to allow you access to the admin interfaces ?

Many thanks

Kevin

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would also post about this over in the Orbi app forum Sir Orbi...

@FarmerBob1 wrote:

Message 65 of 168
dtay
Luminary

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi, All, 

This has been brought up already to our product teams. They are replicating the issue and we are still waiting for the update. They also requested the following information: 

- When did the issue start to happen? Was it only after updating the firmware v3.2.16.6? 
- Router IP (192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) 
- Firmware version
- App version 
- Android / iOS version 
- Network Setup 

- Router LED status if issue re-occur

Looking forward to all your responses. Appreciate the help! 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

I have this issue on one of my RBS where it would lose web gui connectivity to the satellite unit even though the unit is up, pinging, and serving clients.  I just can't login to the RBS via the web gui.  If I reboot the RBS, it will work for a certain period but subsequently, if I log back into the RBS, and then click on "connected devices", it will suddenly switch to a blank page and kick me out.

Message 66 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

Hi just to update, I did a full reset of the rbk853 after applying new firmware and it left me with no access to the admin panel the app thinks I have no orbi system I have no Internet access, and netgear support thinks its bricked, support guy kept telling me to return to amazon didn't want to help. Let's face it netgear know this product is goosed and can't wait to replace it, it's no RBK50. Had enough for £1k this system is not fit for purpose it's shoddy and amazon return has been authorised. Won't be buying netgear again absolute shambles. If they want to charge £1k for top of the line system at least release it when it actually works. If you want beta testers give them it for free. Good luck everyone else.
Message 67 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Good Luck. 

Message 68 of 168
bikerapn
Aspirant

Hi all - Well I did the factory reset as mentioned earlier.  As noted by another, this was definitely problematic and I'd be careful with any reset on this latest release.  I started with an iPad and the Orbi app to reconfigure - things started well - it detected Orbi and its satellites and took me to the screen to set admin password and security questions - once entered it went to a "Personalizing ..." screen and failed.  I re-tried at least 10 times - and eventually it succeeded and moved to the screen for checking for new firmware.  This too then failed - it came back after several minutes saying Orbi was not detected. I powered cycled multiple times and reset the Orbi multiple times - no success; the Orbi app always said no Orbi was detected; access from a browser with a PC directly connected also failed.  I then moved to my android device and tried there.  It detected the Orbi but would not go any further - not even to the password reset screen.  It would come up with a screen that said something to the effect "It looks like your Orbi is not configured, let's start", I'd hit the button to continue and eventually it would come back to the main detection screen and ask me to scan the qr code on the Orbi once again.  After mutliple tries here, I went back to the iPad - no luck.  So, in the end, I power cycled the Orbi and pointed my browser on the PC once again to the Orbi, I hit the refresh multiple times and eventually got the admin interface.  I get to the point of entering the password and security questions - at which time it would fail.  Thinking it maybe was a timing thing, I just kep repeating this, trying to enter the info faster and faster - after about 6 tries at this, I finally moved on to the screen to enter the SSID and password; in the essence of time, I just took the Orbi default and it moved on to the firmware check; I hit the "Skip" option on this screen and it finally went to the full admin screen.  I was then able to restore my config file and all seems well thus far.  I've power cycled several time since, and the Orbi seems to come up and I'm able to move around the admin screen.  All my internet connectivity is working well thus far.  There's obviously something wrong here though.  So we'll see if the admin portal hangs up again after a few days.  I've never had such problems with my previous WiFi5 Orbi and am hopeful Netgear is able to get to the bottom of this.  ... keeping my fingers crossed ...

Andy

Message 69 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be interesting to see if you reset the RBR and use a wired PC and web broswer to setup the RBR. Don't use the Orbi app...

Message 70 of 168
kevinroy1974
Tutor

I did just that orbi gave me a dhcp address but no access to Internet or admin interface, gateway pinged but that was all you could do. Admin interface never loaded.
Message 71 of 168
sas123
Star

I did a power cycle to get temporary access to the interface and did an online firmware check 4 days ago. It said up to date which was not correct since on the Netgear site there was an update as others alluded above.

I downloaded the firmware for RBR and RBS. It would let me update RBR only first.  So I did. It went through without any issues.  Then, the option of updaing the satellite manually became available. So I did; but, it did not go smoothly. The satellite would come back with solid magenta and would not reconnet to RBR (mine has a wired backhaul).  I ended up powering the satellite off and on a few times and it finally found the router, vice versa.

It has been 4 days already since above, and the interface has remained available. It does not seem this firmware is solid as perhaps that is why it is not an option via the app/web interface directly.

Message 72 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS should alwasy be updated first. 

Did you log into the RBS web page to send the FW udpate or thru the RBRs web page? You can log into the RBS web page to update FW there which is recommended. 

Facotry reset both RBS and RBR after the FW update and setup from scratch afterwards. 

@sas123 wrote:

I did a power cycle to get temporary access to the interface and did an online firmware check 4 days ago. It said up to date which was not correct since on the Netgear site there was an update as others alluded above.

I downloaded the firmware for RBR and RBS. It would let me update RBR only first.  So I did. It went through without any issues.  Then, the option of updaing the satellite manually became available. So I did; but, it did not go smoothly. The satellite would come back with solid magenta and would not reconnet to RBR (mine has a wired backhaul).  I ended up powering the satellite off and on a few times and it finally found the router, vice versa.

It has been 4 days already since above, and the interface has remained available. It does not seem this firmware is solid as perhaps that is why it is not an option via the app/web interface directly.

Message 73 of 168
sas123
Star

I am not going to mess with it any longer until a new firmware shows on the app interface.  As I had said originally when I started this thread, the network does did have a problem. It was accessing the interface that was malfunctioning.

With the recent manual update, I still have access to the interface. So there is no need to start from scratch and reset.  I just wish Netgear would give this expensive product some extra love and release a solid firmware instead of us going through all this troubleshooting on our end.

Cheers,

Message 74 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 75 of 168
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7