Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 - no access to interface

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 - no access to interface

Try different wired devices along with different browsers to access the RBRs web page? 

Power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds then back ON then try to access the RBRs web page? 

Message 151 of 168
51Alan
Guide

Not yet.  I'm going to sit on it for a while (as long as everything else is working) and see if it comes back on its own.  If I have a problem, I'll shut off the power and boot it back up to see if that restores connectivity.

I've been using this RBK753 for almost half a year now and I'm impressed with the range, and with the speeds at the edges of the range (I have to use it daisy-chained because of the layout of our house) but there are annoying things like this, and like a few 2.4ghz devices losing connectivity or running into DNS problems (which has let me to try the CTS setting adjustment), which give me pause as to whether to recommend it to anyone else.  I don't seem to have problems with "major" devices such as the Macs, the PC, Roku, TiVo, the iPads or the like, but devices such as the Honeywell thermostat, the Hunter irrigation controller, the Ring security camera, one or two smart speakers -- those drop connectivity too often and restore it only after a reboot of the RBR.  (I've already disabled AX on the 2.4ghz band.)  This latest issue -- being unable to access the interface either through the app or through a browser -- just seems to have popped up out of the blue and is another annoyance. We'll see if it grows into a problem.

Message 152 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, been some people talking about that. I would also try a factory reset on the RBR as well and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser if that has not been done since last FW update. Try a different browser as well. I use Edge for Windows when setting up router systems. 

Message 153 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this. Turn OFF the RBS. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP Modem/ONT. 

Factory reset the RBR by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release and connect 1 wired PC to the RBR. Use a web browser and see if you can access the RBR web page at 192.168.1.1. 

If you can access the RBRs web page, Set up the RBR using same SSID name and PW and all of your wireless devices should reconnect.

Message 154 of 168
shafty023
Aspirant

I can confirm these steps did not resolve the issue for me. I think I've narrowed down what actually is causing this problem. It seems to only happen when using the mobile apps to access Orbi settings. Let me repeat that, it ONLY happens if you use the mobile app. If you switch to only using a web browser to connect to your router and access your settings page then it never happens. This makes me think that the mobile apps are opening connects on the router and never closing them eventually leading to an OOM situation or maxed out connections and thus failing to accept new connections. For everyone else try uninstalling the mobile app, reboot your router, then only access settings through a browser. You'll likely never have the issue again. Netgear, this means someone needs to fix the mobile apps.

Message 155 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I would recommend that you post about this over in the Orbi app forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

@shafty023 wrote:

I can confirm these steps did not resolve the issue for me. I think I've narrowed down what actually is causing this problem. It seems to only happen when using the mobile apps to access Orbi settings. Let me repeat that, it ONLY happens if you use the mobile app. If you switch to only using a web browser to connect to your router and access your settings page then it never happens. This makes me think that the mobile apps are opening connects on the router and never closing them eventually leading to an OOM situation or maxed out connections and thus failing to accept new connections. For everyone else try uninstalling the mobile app, reboot your router, then only access settings through a browser. You'll likely never have the issue again. Netgear, this means someone needs to fix the mobile apps.

Message 156 of 168
51Alan
Guide

It's been two weeks since my last post on this; two things to report.  First, ever since I changed the CTS from 64 to 2347 two weeks ago I have not had any problems with devices losing connection until this morning when the Ring connection died.  In order to deal with that I decided to reboot the router and the satellites by removing and restoring their power; that fixed the connection to the Ring device.  Second, for the last two weeks I have been unable to connect to the router, either through the app or via the browser.  After this morning's reboot, connection to the router was restored both through the app and via the browser.  I then checked the firmware, saw the upgrade, and was able to upgrade the router and one satellite via the app.  I had to upgrade the second satellite manually.

I suspect that the two issues -- device connection stability and the inability to connect to the router -- may not be related, but I must say that changing the CTS to 2347 has really seemed to make this system more stable.

Message 157 of 168
planeman16
Initiate

It won't I've tried it.

Message 158 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend powering OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back on with the RBR first the RBS after you updated the FW. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@51Alan wrote:

It's been two weeks since my last post on this; two things to report.  First, ever since I changed the CTS from 64 to 2347 two weeks ago I have not had any problems with devices losing connection until this morning when the Ring connection died.  In order to deal with that I decided to reboot the router and the satellites by removing and restoring their power; that fixed the connection to the Ring device.  Second, for the last two weeks I have been unable to connect to the router, either through the app or via the browser.  After this morning's reboot, connection to the router was restored both through the app and via the browser.  I then checked the firmware, saw the upgrade, and was able to upgrade the router and one satellite via the app.  I had to upgrade the second satellite manually.

I suspect that the two issues -- device connection stability and the inability to connect to the router -- may not be related, but I must say that changing the CTS to 2347 has really seemed to make this system more stable.

Message 159 of 168
Olivier00786
Tutor

Hello,

I have always some trouble with the access both through the app and via the browser.

I has changing the CTS to 2347 but no change really happen.

Do I need to reset my router and sattelite and put the new firmware ?

After the update, do I need to powering OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back on with the RBR first the RBS ?

After that, can I restore my backup or it's better to setup manually the routeur ?

Thanks for your help.

Message 160 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

After the FW is udpated, power OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Be sure to clear all browser caches. 

Try a different browser. I have not seen this issue at all. I use MS Edge and Opera GX here. 

If you see this problem again, then factory resset and setup from scratch. 

@Olivier00786 wrote:

Hello,

I have always some trouble with the access both through the app and via the browser.

I has changing the CTS to 2347 but no change really happen.

Do I need to reset my router and sattelite and put the new firmware ?

After the update, do I need to powering OFF the RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back on with the RBR first the RBS ?

After that, can I restore my backup or it's better to setup manually the routeur ?

Thanks for your help.

Message 161 of 168
Olivier00786
Tutor

Ok Thanks 😉

And if my routeur is already up to date, I need to reinstall the same firmware ?

Message 162 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

If the problem seems to re-appear, you might re-load using a wired PC, reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 163 of 168
Sean_Orbi_dude
Aspirant

I have the same issue.

Using the RBR850.  No access to web interace via browser/phone app.

Restarting/power cycling the router allows access for a few minutes and then i am locked out.

Is this more a hardware problem?  Seems very prevalent.

Has anyone come up with a permanent solution?  It's quite ridiculous that a restart/power cycle is needed jsut to access the web interface.  Can Netgear get their act together?

Message 164 of 168
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

@Sean_Orbi_dude wrote:

I have the same issue.

Using the RBR850.  No access to web interace via browser/phone app.

Restarting/power cycling the router allows access for a few minutes and then i am locked out.

Is this more a hardware problem?  Seems very prevalent.

Has anyone come up with a permanent solution?  It's quite ridiculous that a restart/power cycle is needed jsut to access the web interface.  Can Netgear get their act together?

Message 165 of 168
Sean_Orbi_dude
Aspirant

Thank you - Yes factory reset attempted and no go.

Things tried and failed to fix:

1. Factory reset (pin in back, power light green --> amber flashing)
  2. Power cycle (modem + orbi router) 
  3. RMA router+satellite (ie unlikely hardware issue)
  4. Login attempts on multiple devices/OS's including iOS and windows 10 on both wireless AND wired (direct to router Cat 5e cable)
  5. Manual firmware update within that 3min i have within the router admin page, currently on : V4.6.3.16_2.0.51; Post manual update 1x power cycle repeated. (2min off modem+router then turn on again)

Pls help.  It's a real pain to restart/reboot router.  I have timed it - the failure occurs after only 3min post-reset.

IE reset --> can login via windows 10 comp via cable AND iOS orbi app --> total duration 3min then it stops working.

? Some software loop clogging the system ?

Sometimes if i leave the 192.168.1.1 tab open after it fails, it will show part of the web interface and then stop.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 166 of 168
Sean_Orbi_dude
Aspirant

Re: the reply to not use the app to access the router login page which seemed to resolve the issue for another user:

I have tried that too.  Still no go for me.

Tried only accessing the router admin page via a wired computer direct to orbi router.

After 3min - I cannot access the page anymore.

Message 167 of 168
borkbrok
Tutor

I've been experiencing this too on the 840S series for several months now.

Message 168 of 168
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7