Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 poor backhaul status

CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I would try this, unbridge the modem and configure router mode on the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, set up AP mode on the RBR and then see what happens. If it still happening, then the Orbi AX needs to be reviewed by NG support. 

OK - apart from undoing what I did before in switching to bridged mode (a process which took hours - factoring in the calls to Xfinity, resetting the Orbi network including 2 hours on hold with "tech support"), I don't know how to (1) disable all wifi radios on the modem, or (2) set up AP mode on the RBR.  If this is just a 5 minute process, no sweat - I'm willing to try it. But if it's a repeat of the effort involved in merely switching to bridge mode, I'm wondering if the Orbi mesh system is really even worth it. I've dropped close to $1k on something that seems to be incredibly difficult to get to work.

The message to the moderator has gone unanswered

Message 26 of 34
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I researched this solution (swtich off bridge, change to AP, etc.) on the Xfinity community and found several people posting that they took this approach but had one or more problems.

I'm thinking that a switch of the Xfinity modem may be one thing to try. I am headed to BestBuy to pick up the Netgear CM 1150V in the hopes that using it instead of the Xfinity provided modem/router will solve my problems. Will report back after I've connected it - fingers crossed.

Message 27 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

After reading about more Xfinity problems, I decided to try to double-down on the Netgear equipment, and at the same time isolate the radio and other issues. So I purchased and am now running a Netgear CM1150V cable modem. Xfinity is supposedly still working on adding back my voice phone, and supposedly sending a firmware update to the modem, but here are the current details:

• RBS web UI shows all of the devices in the house, and the RBS upstairs at "Good" and the RBS downstairs alternates between "Poor" and "Good". Again.
  • Speeds:
    • Orbi app - 915/38
    • RBR - 936/34 wired to laptop, and WiFi speeds in the same room from 280/35 (laptop) to 886/28 (iphone)
    • RBS upstairs - 450/36 WiFi
    • RBS downstairs - 314/41 wired to RBS and 293/38 WiFi
  • Stability - remains to be seen

I will report back in a bit on stability.  In the interim, if I'm a glutton for punishment, in case there's a chance it is the RBR that's the problem for stability (given my prior experience in having a stable connection via an ethernet connection to the RBS in the basement), are the options to (a) swap out for another RBS, (b) get another Netgear router to work with the RBS, or (c) something else?

Message 29 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS Downstairs? 

Mine in the basement can fluctuate from poor to good as well when wirelessly connected. Though I have my RBR and 2nd level. Both RBS are mostly connected via ethernet to avoid wifi problems with basements and distance. 

Message 30 of 34
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Whats the distance between the RBR and RBS Downstairs? 

Mine in the basement can fluctuate from poor to good as well when wirelessly connected. Though I have my RBR and 2nd level. Both RBS are mostly connected via ethernet to avoid wifi problems with basements and distance. 

I would say about 35ft horizontally, with only one wall on the floor of the RBS, and then one floor below. It's much closer than the distance between the two devices shown here (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/rbk852).  

I'm not sure if you work for Netgear, but in any event, I'm not trying to shoot the messenger.  But while running ethernet between the RBR and two RBS devices would be great, it's at least impractical, if not impossible. And it defeats the purpose, and claimed benefits, of the system. If I wanted to run ethernet through my house, I don't think I would need a mesh system, or at least not one that costs as much.

Fingers crossed that this current setup is stable - but I've already had one hiccup on the same floor as the RBR at about 25 feet away.

Message 31 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. However in some cases, wireless may not be a great option. Building materials and distance can effect ANY wifi router system. So reason being there NG offers and supports the wired connections as well. For those who can or wish to use it. And yes, we all know not everyone can have wired connections. Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 34
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I can't stand when someone asks me for help or advice and then doesn't keep me posted, so in that spirit, here's the latest:

• backhaul status on both satellites more often than not is now "Good"
  • devices do not seem to be dropping from the mesh network, even the older iPhone my wife uses
  • speeds vary by device and location, but top speed on the mesh seems to cap out at about ~5-600Mbps/35Mbps using the Ookla app, and ~750/43 using the Orbi app speedtest
  • Perhaps most surprising to me is that the devices seem more likely to connect to the satelites on another floor (I assume closer as they are directly above or below) than the router on the same floor with just some drywall in between them.  (At the moment, I have 11 devices on the network, and the only one connected to the RBR is the doorbell, which has a direct line of sight - apart from the front door that is between the two.)

Thanks again for the assistance!

Message 33 of 34
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know.

Message 34 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 2 in conversation