Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 Phantom MAC address appearing/disappearing from LANwith same IP as Satellite

Brownds
Tutor

RBS850 Phantom MAC address appearing/disappearing from LANwith same IP as Satellite

I have RBK853 (1 x RBR850 & 2 x RBS850) + 1 x additional RBS850 satellite.  All satellites are Cat 6 cabled direct to RBR850 router, All devices on same firmware version  v3.2.16.6 and have been factory reset, and mesh resync'd to router.  Guest Network is disabled and RBR850 is in Access Point Mode.  All appears to be working ok apart from the additional satellite which occasionally drops out out the mesh network and then immediately reconnects and resyncs.

It appears that the route cause for the additional satellite to eventually disconnect/reconnect to the mesh network via wired backhaul, is due to a phantom MAC Address which is constantly appearing/disappearing on the LAN.  The actual DHCP IP Bind address for the additional satellite is 192.168.1.6 which is bound to MAC 10xxxxxxxxDA, whereas the phantom MAC address is 12xxxxxxxxDD (xxxxxxxx denoting identical details) which also appears on the network with the same IP address of the satellite 192.168.1.6.  My manage switch the detects a duplicate IP address on the network and starts to alert.

I have tried to setup an DHCP IP Bind for the 12xxxxxxxxDD MAC, but it never makes a DHCP request and always assumes 192.168.1.6!

I have factory reset all devices and started over many times, but the additional satellite to the original RBK853 kit, always ends up with the same trait.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 Phantom MAC address appearing/disappearing from LANwith same IP as Satellite

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
What is the mfr and model# of the main host router the RBR is connected to? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Where is the swtich connected? Between the RBR and RBS? 

What browser are you using? 

Please provide a screen capture of that your seeing. Use the Choose File button to attach the capture file. 

Message 2 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Draytek Vigor 3910 Router WAN port is connected to a Virgin Media Hub 4 (in Modem Mode) - Gig1 Service

Draytek Vigor 3910 Router WAN failover is connected to a Netgear 6400 AC1600 VDSL/ADSL Modem (in Modem Mode), BT 64Gb service

Draytek Vigor 3910 Router WAN failover load balancing, connected to USB LTE Modem, Virgin Mobile 4G Unlimited Data  

RBR850 iNet port is connected directly via Cat 6e Cable to a 2.5Gb LAN port on Draytek Vigor 3910 Router

What is the mfr and model# of the main host router the RBR is connected to? 

Draytek Vigor 3910 Router - Latest Firmware

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Draytek Vigor G2280x Managed Switch - Latest Firware

Where is the swtich connected? Between the RBR and RBS? 

The RBS's are direct cabled via Cat 6 cables to the RBR, all 1Gb links.

The RBR is connected via its iNet Port directly to the Daytek Vigor 3910 via 1m  2.5Gb LAN link

The G2280x switch is connected directly to the Draytek Vigor 3910 via 1m 10Gb SFP+ cable

What browser are you using?

Various browsers ... MS Edge, MS  IE, FireFox or Chrome ... all latest versions vailable

Message 3 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

Message 4 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

Message 5 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

These are when the phantom MAC address has gone online/offline and has the IP address of 192.168.1.6. The actual satellite assigned 192.168.1.6 has not dropped our of the mesh network so far today!
Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you set up IP address reservations for the RBR and RBS on your host router? Something to try and see if this changes any behaviors. 

I presume you are using Dynamic AP mode vs Static IP addressed AP mode on the RBR? 

Message 7 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

192.168.0.1 - Virgin Media Hub 4 in Modem Mode

All network devices have reserved IP addresses via DHCP IP Bind controlled by Draytek Vigor 3910

192.168.1.1 - Draytek Vigor 3910

192.168.1.2 - Draytek G2280x Managed Switch

192.168.1.3 - RBR

192.168.1.4 - RBS Satellite-1 (Included in RBK853 - no issues)

192.168.1.5 - RBS Satellite-2 (Included in RBK853 - no issues)

192.168.1.6 - RBS Satellite-3 (additional satellite - duplicate IP address due to mac 12xxxxxxxxDD)

I have tried assigning IP addresses directly via Orbi's Admin Pages, but additional RBS still has the same trait. 

I have also created a DHCP entry for 12xxxxxxxxDD, but it always has the same IP address as the Satellite itself.

I note from the RBS Satellite-3 'Cpture Debug Logs' that the 12xxxxxxxxDD mac address is associated with its eth3.

I also note that during the period the capture was runninig there was no entries in the pcap log for the 12xxxxxxxxDD mac address, but that is what I would have expected, as I didn't recieve any duplicate network IP address alerts for the same time period.

FYI, I have now plugged the ethernet cable between the RBS Satellite-3 and the RBR into Port 1 of the Satellite and power cycled to see if that makes any diffence.  I wouldn't have thought so, but would probably expect the issue to transfer to mac address 12xxxxxxxxDA!

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

When setting up IP address reservations, you need to set the reservation ON the main host router, not the RBR when in AP Mode. 

Message 9 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

The reservations are set by the Draytek Vigor 3910 Router and not on the RBR/RBS's

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF the other RBS leaving this one with the Phantom MAC on, does the problem still appear? 

Try swapping this one RBS with one of the other RBS in it's placement and connection to see if the problem follows. If so, I would make contact with NG support about this. 

Message 11 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

As you suggest, I will try switching off the other two RBS's and test.  Then I will swap RBS's and re-test.

Many thanks for your help and advice, as this is a real weird scenario that I am experiencing!

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya this is kind of odd and seems to be with your setup or hardware. Smiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

Well to my surprise, no duplicate IP address alerts overnight and that's never happened before.

All I did last thing was change the ethernet port on the Satellite associated with the duplicate IP address issue, from port 4 (next to PSU input), to port 1 and reboot satellite.

Now I've rebooted the satellite many times before without any change in behaviour, so I can only assume that the port change has resolved the issue, or possibly a combination of both.

I intend to leave it in this configuration for a couple of days, plus I have now connected a laptop via Satellite port 2, which is running WireShark with packets capture filters set for all MAC  (10xx.. & 12xx...) addresses associated with that Satellite.

If everything still works, then I'll swap back to port 4 to see if the issue reappears, whilst again running WireShark.  If it fails, I'll create a ticket with Netgear Support and ship all my diagnostics to them. 

I cannot see why any of the Ethernet ports on the satellite should act in this way or differently to each other!

Once again, big shout out to FURRYe38 for your assistance!

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Will be interested to know if this re-appears when you move the port back. 

Message 15 of 18
DarthBob
Aspirant

I just now had the identical issue. I use my RBR/RBS850 in AP mode and within the last 10 min. received a notification from my router that a new device with MAC of 16:0C:6B:3E:FD:46 was connecting to my network with the IP address of my RBS850. This doesn't match any MAC address on my network and, when I look it up, doesn't resolve back to any vendor.

@Brownds wrote:

I have RBK853 (1 x RBR850 & 2 x RBS850) + 1 x additional RBS850 satellite.  All satellites are Cat 6 cabled direct to RBR850 router, All devices on same firmware version  v3.2.16.6 and have been factory reset, and mesh resync'd to router.  Guest Network is disabled and RBR850 is in Access Point Mode.  All appears to be working ok apart from the additional satellite which occasionally drops out out the mesh network and then immediately reconnects and resyncs.

It appears that the route cause for the additional satellite to eventually disconnect/reconnect to the mesh network via wired backhaul, is due to a phantom MAC Address which is constantly appearing/disappearing on the LAN.  The actual DHCP IP Bind address for the additional satellite is 192.168.1.6 which is bound to MAC 10xxxxxxxxDA, whereas the phantom MAC address is 12xxxxxxxxDD (xxxxxxxx denoting identical details) which also appears on the network with the same IP address of the satellite 192.168.1.6.  My manage switch the detects a duplicate IP address on the network and starts to alert.

I have tried to setup an DHCP IP Bind for the 12xxxxxxxxDD MAC, but it never makes a DHCP request and always assumes 192.168.1.6!

I have factory reset all devices and started over many times, but the additional satellite to the original RBK853 kit, always ends up with the same trait.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF the other RBS leaving this one with the Phantom MAC on, does the problem still appear? 

Try swapping this one RBS with one of the other RBS in it's placement and connection to see if the problem follows. If so, I would make contact with NG support about this. 

@DarthBob wrote:

I just now had the identical issue. I use my RBR/RBS850 in AP mode and within the last 10 min. received a notification from my router that a new device with MAC of 16:0C:6B:3E:FD:46 was connecting to my network with the IP address of my RBS850. This doesn't match any MAC address on my network and, when I look it up, doesn't resolve back to any vendor.

Message 17 of 18
Brownds
Tutor

Does any part of the phantom MAC 16:0C:6B:3E:FD:46 match that of your any of Orbi Satellites or Orbi Router?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7