Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 - Wired backhaul with poor performance

Rhoworth99
Aspirant

RBS850 - Wired backhaul with poor performance

Hi All

I would really appricate some guidance on this one/

I have the RBK852 with satellite system, I'm using cat6 to create a backhaul link, but on the satellite i'm getting 10% of the potential speed, I have 1gb service and can speed test up to around 900mb consistently on the main netgear router.

The backhaul cable goes under the floor and I though I have maybe got some interference or I had made a bad job of terminating the cable, so I've run another pre-made cat6 cable through the house and it has made no difference.

I'm using a MacBook pro running the latest o/s, the router and satellite are running V3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Hardware VersionRBR850

Firmware VersionV3.2.15.25_1.3.15

if I connect directly to the main netgear orbi router I get around 900mb (using the same cable that is in the satellite) 

I've not tried a hard reset yet on the router or satellite

thanks in advance

Robbie

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS850 - Wired backhaul with poor performance

Manually download FW files. 

Start formation should work, even with a directly connection. My RBS work in Star formation. Though I use switches in between the RBR and RBS for my network. 

Try swapping RBS around to see of problem follows. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a switch in between the RBR and RBS or is the RBS directly ethernet connected to the back of the RBR?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Testing a wired connection at the RBS?

Testing a wired connection at the remote location with out the RBS connected? 

I would update to v32:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

Update the RBS first then RBR then factory reset the RBS and RBS and setup from scratch. Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 2 of 4
Rhoworth99
Aspirant

thanks for the advice, i have temporally fixed the issue by putting a gig switch in between the RBR & RBS. I previously had it in a star setup but didn't work,  in answer to your questions

is there a switch in between the RBR and RBS or is the RBS directly ethernet connected to the back of the RBR?

There wasn't, it was connected directly from the RBS to RBS, using a ethernet cable (cat6), as previously mentioned I tried a few cables as I thought I had made an error in terminating the cable.

Testing a wired connection at the RBS? i would see 80mb download & 50 upload (1gig connection)

Testing a wired connection at the remote location with out the RBS connected? i would see 948mb download and 54mb upload

I will download the firmware, when I did a firmware check the neither the RBS or RBR reported one being available. I plan to then setup the system again and remove the switch to see if there is an improvement.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Manually download FW files. 

Start formation should work, even with a directly connection. My RBS work in Star formation. Though I use switches in between the RBR and RBS for my network. 

Try swapping RBS around to see of problem follows. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7