Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 broadcasting WPA2 security on 2.4 GHz and Open security on 5Ghz

Orbi-CA
Aspirant

RBS850 broadcasting WPA2 security on 2.4 GHz and Open security on 5Ghz

One of my my satellites is broadcasting WPA2 security for the 2.4Ghz channel and Open security for the 5Ghz channe. I did a wirelss scan using the Wireless Diagnostics tool on my mac and I can see the same BSSID broadcasting these. I have double checked all the settings and everything is set to WPA2 security within the admin tool. Any ideas what would cause this?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Sounds like the one RBS hasn't sycned correctly. Do other RBS appear working correctly if you turn OFF the 1 RBS that isn't. 

Factory reset the 1 RBS and resync it to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 9
Orbi-CA
Aspirant

Firmware is showing up to date with: V3.2.10.11_1.2.12. I will try the reset you suggested. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 9
kildare
Luminary

This problem may occour if using a wired satellite and the Orbi in AP mode.

After some time the wired satellite de-synch from the RBR850 and acts like a standalone AP maintaining the SSID but with no security on the 5Ghz band.

It even might continue to work if the RBR850 is turned off!

I found no solution.

See other threads here discussing wired satellite problems.

-

@Orbi-CA wrote:

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/40Mbps) -> TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM -> Orbi RBS 850 with one wired backhaul satellite and one wireless backhaul satellite.

Message 4 of 9
Orbi-CA
Aspirant

The factory reset seems to have fixed this. Thank you. Do you know where I can find the exact steps for setting up a wired backhaul for RBS850? I have seen a number of posts but not an official list and the user guide does not have it. One of the satellites is so far away (separate structure in backyard) it needs a wired backhaul. I have seen posts that say all you have to do is to set up the satelllite using wifi, move it to new location, enter an address reservation under LAN settings and connect the ethernet. When I do this it takes several hours or days for the satallite to show backhaul status within the admin UI. It seems to be working during those two days but it's hard to tell. I am not sure why it doesn't show up instantly within the admin UI?

Message 5 of 9
Bandito
Luminary

The only thing you have to do to set up the wired backhaul is to plug one of the satellite's Ethernet ports into one of the router's Ethernet ports.  It's as easy as that.  No need to set up address reservations or anything else.

Message 6 of 9
kildare
Luminary

@Orbi-CA wrote:

The factory reset seems to have fixed this.

In my 3-months experience with the Orbi in AP mode the problem is very likely to occur again in 2 or 3 days.

But if you're using the Orbi in Router mode, things might go differently,  I couldn't test that.

Message 7 of 9
kildare
Luminary

Unfortunately in AP mode there is no DHCP functionality available in the RBR850, IPs need to be set by the main router/firewall.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, once the RBS is wirelessly connected, just plug in the LAN cable between the RBR and RBS and let the RBS re-sync automatically to the ethernet connection. The front LED should turn PINK then BLUE then OFF. Takes about 5 minutes total. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Be aware that there is a problem with the RBS connected via ethernet wire with a LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS while in AP Mode. The RBS works however the status reported on the RBRs web page will report the RBS as disconnected. This is a known issue already in AP Mode with a LAN switch in the mix. This doesn't reproduce when the RBR is in router mode. 

Problem has already been reported to NG. 

@Orbi-CA wrote:

The factory reset seems to have fixed this. Thank you. Do you know where I can find the exact steps for setting up a wired backhaul for RBS850? I have seen a number of posts but not an official list and the user guide does not have it. One of the satellites is so far away (separate structure in backyard) it needs a wired backhaul. I have seen posts that say all you have to do is to set up the satelllite using wifi, move it to new location, enter an address reservation under LAN settings and connect the ethernet. When I do this it takes several hours or days for the satallite to show backhaul status within the admin UI. It seems to be working during those two days but it's hard to tell. I am not sure why it doesn't show up instantly within the admin UI?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7