Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS850 device disconnects

VerneArase
Apprentice

RBS850 device disconnects

Is anyone experiencing device disconnects from an RBS850?

I have an RBK853 (router and two satellites), and I notice that we experience device random device disconnects from one of the satellites.

One of the satellites is in my office and it seems pretty solid; the other is in the living room and it's the one experiencing disconnects.

Coincidentally, it sometimes seems to happen when I reboot one of the iMacs - one is connected via wifi 5 to the living room satellite in the dining room, the other connected via ethernet to the office satellite.

Symptoms: my wife's Dell laptop connects randomly during the day, my daughter's iPhone 7, the Apple TV in the living room will suddenly stop streaming and a diagnostic will appear that it's lost connection to the network. Other devices may be losing and reestablishing connection, but we only notice the devices with a human operator. It seems to happen two or three times a day, especially when my wife is on a conference to work (Teams?).

Has anyone else seen this kind of behaviour?

I haven't noticed the connection lights on the satellite behaving abnormally, and whenever I've checked the living room satellite appears to still be connected.

I've rebooted and factory reset the RBS850, the RBR850, and nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

My one Mac Book Pro when I'm sitting in my living room, constantly disconnects. 
I believe, for me at least my mac book, seems to be a wifi over lap issue. I turned OFF one of my RBS, the one in my dinning room which is a bit closer and more or lest in the middle of my home and leaving the RBS in the basement and the RBR up on the 2nd level, seems to have helped this though I can use a different Orbi in the same places and the mac book doesn't disconnect. 

Have you tried turning OFF 1 RBS to see if any changes? 

What are the distances between the RBR and RBSs? 

Message 2 of 6
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

My one Mac Book Pro when I'm sitting in my living room, constantly disconnects. 
I believe, for me at least my mac book, seems to be a wifi over lap issue. I turned OFF one of my RBS, the one in my dinning room which is a bit closer and more or lest in the middle of my home and leaving the RBS in the basement and the RBR up on the 2nd level, seems to have helped this though I can use a different Orbi in the same places and the mac book doesn't disconnect. 

Have you tried turning OFF 1 RBS to see if any changes? 

What are the distances between the RBR and RBSs? 

Haven't tried turning off the satellite; I guess I could try that.

Distance: probably about 35-40 feet to each satellite (including elevation). The router is downstairs in the family room and both satellites are upstairs. No problems with metal between floors or anything - my RBK53 system had no problems and the RBK853 is simply a drop in replacement.

What is wifi over lap?

-- Thanks, Verne

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya same here. No issues with my Orbi AX or other mesh systems. Only happens with the Orbi AX and only in this area of my living room.

Over lap is one signal that comes from one source and another signal form a different source are mixed and in contact. Best way to look at this is to take your first index finger on each hand and place the tip of one figer over the other on top of the finger nail. This kind of represents a good over lap. No move both fingers down towards the middle of each finger. This would represent too much over lap. Same kind of princible when looking at wifi signals, there is a sweet spot where the RBR signal meets the RBS signal llke the finger on top of the other fingers nail. IF the RBR and RBS are too close, then there is too much wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS. Thus this can cause problems and odd disconnections with themselves or other devices. Though I think with Orbi AX, I think there are other factors that are contributing to seeing these disconnections besides wifi overlap. Orbi AX has had some odd issues since it came to market. Still seeing some as well. Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 6
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya same here. No issues with my Orbi AX or other mesh systems. Only happens with the Orbi AX and only in this area of my living room.

Over lap is one signal that comes from one source and another signal form a different source are mixed and in contact. Best way to look at this is to take your first index finger on each hand and place the tip of one figer over the other on top of the finger nail. This kind of represents a good over lap. No move both fingers down towards the middle of each finger. This would represent too much over lap. Same kind of princible when looking at wifi signals, there is a sweet spot where the RBR signal meets the RBS signal llke the finger on top of the other fingers nail. IF the RBR and RBS are too close, then there is too much wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS. Thus this can cause problems and odd disconnections with themselves or other devices. Though I think with Orbi AX, I think there are other factors that are contributing to seeing these disconnections besides wifi overlap. Orbi AX has had some odd issues since it came to market. Still seeing some as well. Smiley Frustrated

I'm just wondering if we're overthinking this and that one of the satellites may simply be defective.

I can see the devices are linked to the closest access point - there should be no confusion as to who they're talking to.

All it would take would be for the satellite to lose its mind for a short period or go non-dispatachble for a short period.

Maybe I'll try to get the Living Room satellite replaced and see if that fixes it.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes of course. Definately swap RBS around to see if the problem follows. Then you'll know something. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7