Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS850 is removed from 'attached devices' when I connect another device via wire

Dries2
Guide

RBS850 is removed from 'attached devices' when I connect another device via wire

Hi all,

I have a RBR850 and satellite (RBS850) since a year. Last week I purchased another satellite (RBS850) to further extend my wifi coverage.

The second satellite has been synced with the router (Connection Type = 5G, backhaul status is good). So far so good. However, as soon as I connect a device wired to my second satellite (e.g. my Sonos 5) - using one of the Gigabit ports, the new satellite disappears from my list of attached devices. The satellite is however not disconnected from my network, because I can still reach it (by navigating to it's IP address). When I disconnect my Sonos, the satellite appears again in my list of attached devices (with a delay of a few minutes maybe).

Additional info:

• The RBR850 is configured as AP;
  • All three devices have the latest firmware (V3.2.16.22_1.4.9);
  • The first satellite is connected via wire - directly to the RBR850 (no switch in between);
  • The first satellite also has other devices connected via wired using its gigabit ports - no issue there;
  • I did a full reset of all three devices and started all over again - it didn't help;

Any ideas what I could have done wrong or what I should check?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: RBS850 is removed from 'attached devices' when I connect another device via wire

Do you also have a Sonos Boost installed?

Are you on SONOSNET?  You can confirm that your devices are running on SonosNet by going to About My Sonos System in the desktop app. For each Sonos speaker, it should say WM:0. SonosNet uses Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), a network protocol that builds a logical loop-free topology.

Are you on Sonos S1 or S2?

Sounds to me you are inducing a loopback through Sonos.  How many Sonos speakers are hardwired?

Message 2 of 7
Dries2
Guide

Re: RBS850 is removed from 'attached devices' when I connect another device via wire

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your input.

I have a Sonos AMP and a Sonos 5. The Sonos AMP is connected via UTP to my router, the Sonos 5 is connected via UTP as well (in my original setup - now wireless for the moment). So Sonos Boost/SonosNet is active. Both devices are S1.

The idea was to connect my Sonos 5 via UTP to my RBS850 for a more reliable connection. I'm considering hooking up my 2nd RBS850 via UTP as well (wired backhaul).

Message 3 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Since you are on Sonosnet, I recommend you only have one inject point from your network into the Sonosnet network.... because after that, it becomes a separate mesh network.

Try leaving only one Sonos device hardwired to Orbi and see if everything works well.

Let us know how it works out.  I had exactly the same issue several years ago.

Regarding S1 & S2, I dont know if your hardware prevents you from going to S2, but if it doesnt, I highly recommend it for quality.  Some hardware is EOL'd and is prevented from going to S2 so that may be a consideration.

Message 4 of 7
Dries2
Guide

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your reply.

Having only one Sonos one a wired connection is not ideal (both devices are not that close to each other), but it seems to be fine so far.

My hardware prevents going to S2, both devices are from the S1 generation. The sound is still great, so no short-term plans to replace them. 

However, the overall problem is not solved. When I keep me RBS850 fully on wifi (Sonos wifi, other devices wifi, backhaul via 5ghz) it works fine. But as soon as I connect my RBS850 to the RBR850 via a network cable, he disappears from the "attached devices" list. I don't think it's a faulty network cable, because I can still reach the RBS850 via it's IP adress. Also, when I would remove the RBS850 from my setup and use that same cable to hook up another (non wifi) device, it connects fine. There is no switch between the RBS850 and the RBR850.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Message 5 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think Sonos is causing your issues....   I think that the network is finding a alternate path through Sonos that is not expected.

I would do one more test:

1.  Totally power down all Sonos gear.  Leave them off for this test.

2.  Disconnect any Sonos that are hard wired to the network

3.  Reboot cable modem/router and Orbi (In AP mode)

4.  See if now connecting the satellite back to RBR850 (hardwired) works properly

5.  Make sure your RBR850 is connected to your router from the yellow port

6.  Make sure your RBS850 is connected to your RBR850 through any other grey port.

I also recommend you reset your Sonos if not too much of a hassle to take that out of the equation:  To factory reset Sonos, do this:

Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (gen1), Connect, Connect:Amp, and Playbar:

1. Unplug the power cord from the electrical wall outlet.
  2. Press and hold the Play/Pause button while simultaneously plugging the power cord back into the electrical wall outlet.
  3. Continue holding the Play/Pause button until the light begins flashing amber and white.
  4. Once reset, the light will flash green indicating the product has been reset and can be added back to your Sonos household.

Sonos One, Play:5 (gen2), Boost, Bridge, Sub, Playbase, and Beam:

1. Unplug the power cord from the electrical wall outlet.
  2. Press and hold the Connect button while simultaneously plugging the power cord back into the electrical wall outlet.
  3. Continue holding the Connect button until the light begins flashing amber and white.
  4. Once reset, the light will flash green, indicating the product has been reset and can be added back to your Sonos household.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure your using good quality LAN cable, cat6 is recommended.

@Dries2 wrote:

Hi all,

I have a RBR850 and satellite (RBS850) since a year. Last week I purchased another satellite (RBS850) to further extend my wifi coverage.

The second satellite has been synced with the router (Connection Type = 5G, backhaul status is good). So far so good. However, as soon as I connect a device wired to my second satellite (e.g. my Sonos 5) - using one of the Gigabit ports, the new satellite disappears from my list of attached devices. The satellite is however not disconnected from my network, because I can still reach it (by navigating to it's IP address). When I disconnect my Sonos, the satellite appears again in my list of attached devices (with a delay of a few minutes maybe).

Additional info:

• The RBR850 is configured as AP;
  • All three devices have the latest firmware (V3.2.16.22_1.4.9);
  • The first satellite is connected via wire - directly to the RBR850 (no switch in between);
  • The first satellite also has other devices connected via wired using its gigabit ports - no issue there;
  • I did a full reset of all three devices and started all over again - it didn't help;

Any ideas what I could have done wrong or what I should check?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7