Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rbk853 unavailable

thunt002
Tutor

Rbk853 unavailable

Finally ready to drop the big coins on the Orbi RBK853 and it is not available ANYWHERE. What was a bit concerning was that one vendor reported that it was recently discontinued and would not be available in the future. Does anyone have any insight on this? Perhaps I need to look for another option.
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review and compare the spec sheets for each system. Look at the wifi connection rates listed at the bottom of each system. This and MIMO and stream data information will tell you what system does and compare the two. 

Where did you hear about Orbi AX being discontinued?

Orbi AX is still listed in NGs shop:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx?cid=us-menu-store-sfcc&utm_source=store&utm_medium=sf...

The system hasn't been out for a year yet. NG doesn't make something and spend lots of design and development money on something that they would turn around and discontinue it. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
kildare
Luminary

There is another wifi 6 mesh system that is currently being sold by Netgear:

Nighthawk® Mesh WiFi 6 System

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/nighthawk-mesh/

Maybe it's not so powerful as the Orbi AX6000 (it has only 2-bands), but it's a lot cheaper...

Model: MK62 (router + 1 satellite)

$229.99 In Stock

The next generation of WiFi has arrived. With the Nighthawk® Mesh WiFi 6 System, be one of the first to experience WiFi 6. The Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System is designed to handle 4X more connections along with your ever-increasing demand for fast gaming and smooth, crisp streaming. Eliminate dead zones and enjoy faster and stronger WiFi throughout your home. 

The elegant, compact design fits with any decor, so you can enjoy reliable WiFi everywhere while adding to the aesthetics of your home.

Message 2 of 14
thunt002
Tutor

I briefly considered the Nighthawk Mesh System. But the performance and lack of multiple ethernet ports compared to the Orbi was not aligned with my needs.
Message 3 of 14
kildare
Luminary

Maybe Netgear is developing an Orby AX6000 v.2 to overcome the current hardware limitations and problems.

Let's see...

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

One can always add Gb Lan switches behind routers to add more ports when needed. 

@thunt002 wrote:
I briefly considered the Nighthawk Mesh System. But the performance and lack of multiple ethernet ports compared to the Orbi was not aligned with my needs.

Message 5 of 14
thunt002
Tutor

Do you believe that the Nighthawk Mesh System + gigabit switch is relatively equal to the Orbi Rbk85* system? My understanding is that the Orbi system is far superior.

We have a 6500 sq feet that we need to blanket with WiFi 6. I can wait for a new Orbi but welcome suggestions if there is a suitable alternative that is readily available.
Message 6 of 14
kildare
Luminary

If I were you and don't want to wait for a new Orbi AX v.2, I'll buy (if available on the market) the Asus ZenWifi AX6600 which is superior than current Orbi AX6000, has 4800 Mbps wireless backhaul with 4x4 160MHz bandwidth on the 5GHz-2 network, 160 MHz available also to clients changing the network used for backhaul from 5GHz-2 to 5GHz-1 (then the backhaul runs at 2400 Mbps) or  using a wired backhaul, 2.5 Gbps wired Ethernet port available on satellites if using the wireless backhaul, separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, possibility to devote all the 3 wifi bands to clients if using a wired backhaul, more professional configuration settings... and is a little cheaper...

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

There are no differences between the switch ports of the orbi system to any other NG router product. There all rated at 1000Mpbs which is the the current standard seen on most and any wifi router, orbi or other wise. 

You'll have to wait for stock inventory to come into retail sellers. For 6500 feet, 1 RBR and 2 RBS should be sufficient to cover that area. 

@thunt002 wrote:
Do you believe that the Nighthawk Mesh System + gigabit switch is relatively equal to the Orbi Rbk85* system? My understanding is that the Orbi system is far superior.

We have a 6500 sq feet that we need to blanket with WiFi 6. I can wait for a new Orbi but welcome suggestions if there is a suitable alternative that is readily available.

Message 8 of 14
thunt002
Tutor

I was not clear - I understand the point regarding the equivalency of ethernet throughput. My question is does the WiFi performance of the NG Mesh System compare to the Orbi? My understanding is that it does not but I don’t have any real world experience to back that up.

The answer may very well be to wait for the Orbi to be restocked if it is not being discontinued as was reported.
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review and compare the spec sheets for each system. Look at the wifi connection rates listed at the bottom of each system. This and MIMO and stream data information will tell you what system does and compare the two. 

Where did you hear about Orbi AX being discontinued?

Orbi AX is still listed in NGs shop:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx?cid=us-menu-store-sfcc&utm_source=store&utm_medium=sf...

The system hasn't been out for a year yet. NG doesn't make something and spend lots of design and development money on something that they would turn around and discontinue it. 

Message 10 of 14
thunt002
Tutor

I followed the link to CDW from the NG website to purchase the RBK 853 on Saturday. They reported that they product was discontinued. This was also reported Sunday. Today it has been updated to “Call” for availability.

I am happy to learn that while it’s availability may be limited, it has not been discontinued.
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

May have been incorrect reporting on there site. LOL. 

Hopefully new stock will be filled soon. I presume there maybe delays seen since the CD19 has been causing problems. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 14
farmrt88
Star

thunt002, 

What is the speed of your Internet service, and how many connected Wifi devices will there be?

Something to consider for the Nighthawk mesh system is that it's only Dual-Band, compared to the Orbi RBK852(3), RBK842, and RBK752 being Tri-Band.

Orbi Tri-Band has a dedicated third 5GHz band only used for backhaul between the router and satelites, but Dual band mesh shares its only 5Ghz band between satelites and clients, thus performance may be impacted.

Further information from Netgear Blogs below.

https://blog.netgear.com/blog/mesh-mashups-which-mesh-system-is-best-for-you/

Dual-Band Mesh SystemsDual-band mesh systems can provide seamless, extended coverage to average-sized homes. However, because they lack the third dedicated backhaul radio band, the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies become congested, which negatively impacts signal strength and coverage. Deploying additional WiFi nodes in a dual-band system does expand coverage, but it also has negative consequences since it reduces the speed.
Message 13 of 14
thunt002
Tutor

I have Xfinity 1 gigabit service down, 40 mbs up with around 50 devices connected over 6500 sq feet.

Thank you for that information, I believe the RBK853 would better suit my needs.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7