Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Release date for Add-on Orbi WiFi6 Satellite (RBS850)

farmrt88
Star

Release date for Add-on Orbi WiFi6 Satellite (RBS850)

There is now a web page for the RBS 850 Add-on satelite along with a release date on Amazon... March 1, 2020

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbs850.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YRSCM9?tag=price17562-20&ascsubtag=wtbs_5e2b09830be46f19d274e146&m=ATV...

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. I'm sure everyone will be happy to get an add-on RBS. 

Message 2 of 21
wififast
Aspirant

Thanks. Will order!

Message 3 of 21
Chuck_M
Mentor

Horray!

Great info & will be ordering 2 x 

Message 4 of 21
wififast
Aspirant

Also noted that you can get NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK853) – Router with 2 Satellite Extenders | Coverage up to 7,500 sq. ft. and 60+ Devices | 11AX Mesh AX6000 WiFi (Up to 6Gbps) on Amzon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LZKYFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 5 of 21
cue003
Apprentice

The 3 pack is pricey. Heck the 2 pack is pricey. Lol.

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. 

Message 7 of 21
migsta
Apprentice

The statellite is pricey also.

What a joke, they have satellites but it won't be released untll March.  Does Netgear not realize that this is a mesh system which consists of more than router and 1 satellite for a lot of customers.  Why release a mesh system without having satellites available for it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 21
FarmerBob1
Luminary

At that Amazon link at the bottom in the "suggestions" (on how they can take more of your money), the Linksys Velop pair is the same price as the Orbi pair. But the Orbi Satellite is cheaper than the Velop by $20. But it's cheaper . . . 

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Testing 2nd RBS differs from testing with the RBR and 1 RBS. They have to make sure 1 RBS works first before adding a 2nd. 

Sorry this doesn't meet your need requirements. Just have to wait for it. 

@migsta wrote:

The statellite is pricey also.

What a joke, they have satellites but it won't be released untll March.  Does Netgear not realize that this is a mesh system which consists of more than router and 1 satellite for a lot of customers.  Why release a mesh system without having satellites available for it.

Message 10 of 21
TXSoxFan
Aspirant

Any update on a release data for the stand alone units.  I was able to score a 2 pack (Router+Sat) for $100 off list but still need at least one more add-on.  Amazon says out of stock and netgear page lists no retailers.

Also, does anyone know what the price was prior to being OOS?  Hoping less than $400 otherwise I will just get the 3 pack for now.

Message 11 of 21
wififast
Aspirant

Have only seen "Coming Soon" 

Message 12 of 21
farmrt88
Star

$379.99 was the list price when it was available.  From personal experience, 1 ORBI RBS850 Wifi 6 Satelite works as well as 2 RBS50 Satelites in the same environment.

Message 13 of 21
TXSoxFan
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.  Seems an odd price points that it would be $80 cheaper MSRP for a 3 pack than going the 2 plus an add-on, but maybe that is their intention.  Either way since I got my 2 pack for $599, it still works out slightly cheaper.

I will test with just 2, but right now I am running 4 in total including an outdoor one.  My fear with  just the two is that I'll lose connectivity on the patio, but time will tell.

Message 14 of 21
TXSoxFan
Aspirant

Update - I reached out to support and they couldn't tell me any additional info (not that I would trust anything she said after telling me to use a RBS50 instead).  Because there is a limited return window, no release date and the price point would only be a net $20 difference I cancelled the 2 pack and went with the 3 pack.  I am hopeful that 3 will be sufficient to cover the house and patio/backyard.

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@TXSoxFan wrote:

Update - I reached out to support and they couldn't tell me any additional info (not that I would trust anything she said after telling me to use a RBS50 instead).  Because there is a limited return window, no release date and the price point would only be a net $20 difference I cancelled the 2 pack and went with the 3 pack.  I am hopeful that 3 will be sufficient to cover the house and patio/backyard.

Message 16 of 21
charliedog
Aspirant

As satelites will apparently not be released soon enough and I am trying not to refund my ax6000 system, has anyone tried bying a second complete system and using the components as satelites.  I can not keep this system if my bsement remains uncovered. Thanks in advance

Message 17 of 21
wififast
Aspirant

I have contacted customer service multiple times with no luck. I preordered 2 add-ons at the end of March for my system. They have charged my credit card. When I call they promise me it will ship soon but still nothing.
Message 18 of 21
farmrt88
Star

This worked for me previously, but only the RBS satellite unit from the second system will connect to your existing AX6000 system. The second system router unit can’t be used as a satellite, so you would have an extra unused router and 1 more satellite.
Message 19 of 21
wififast
Aspirant

How many satelites can you add to an RBR850. I have three satellites. Tried to all a 4th and had trouble

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Please continue to post here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/How-many-RBS850-satellites-will-a-RBR850-router-support/td-...

@wififast wrote:

How many satelites can you add to an RBR850. I have three satellites. Tried to all a 4th and had trouble

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7