Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Compatibility with ISP

Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

Router Compatibility with ISP

I have fiber optic coming from my ISP which is connected to ISPs router(i.e. modem **bleep** router). I’m looking forward to configure the ISPs router in bridge mode and connect ISPs router to my router via Ethernet Cable in which I will enter the username and password for WAN(as provided by the ISP).
So, is it that router needs to have some specifications to be compatible with the ISP or configuring the username/password or something? Or all routers support configuring ISPs username password and are compatible with all ISPs.
In my case I’m creating an extensive network in which I intend to use Orbi AX series Mesh WiFi System while in my country(India) Netgear directly sells Orbi AC series only.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

IF the ISP modem has a DMZ, try option #2 with the modem and RBR. 

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

Yes, in order to connect to Internet services from ISP's side. I have to login with the username and password provided by the ISP for my account.

I'm from India and my ISP is Tata Sky Broadband. The modem **bleep** router by ISP is Nokia G-140W-F.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make sure that you can do with with the ISP user name and PW for your account. If thats what the ISP supports then the Orbi should work. I presume this maybe PPPoE at the ISP modem? 

Check with the ISP first to make sure that this configuration is supported. 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You can try option #2 if bridging isn't fully supported...

Message 2 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:
I have fiber optic coming from my ISP which is connected to ISPs router(i.e. modem **bleep** router). I’m looking forward to configure the ISPs router in bridge mode and connect ISPs router to my router via Ethernet Cable in which I will enter the username and password for WAN(as provided by the ISP).
So, is it that router needs to have some specifications to be compatible with the ISP or configuring the username/password or something? Or all routers support configuring ISPs username password and are compatible with all ISPs.
In my case I’m creating an extensive network in which I intend to use Orbi AX series Mesh WiFi System while in my country(India) Netgear directly sells Orbi AC series only.

So are you saying you have to login to your ISP in order for it to work? Or are your username and password for accessing your ISP router?

Can you share your ISP company and modem/router combo?

Message 3 of 10
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

Yes, in order to connect to Internet services from ISP's side. I have to login with the username and password provided by the ISP for my account.

I'm from India and my ISP is Tata Sky Broadband. The modem **bleep** router by ISP is Nokia G-140W-F.

Message 4 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

After reading the manual it appears you are going to a specific web page to login. If this is the case, then your Orbi router can be set to router mode. You can leave the Nokia set the way it is and have a double NAT, which only sometimes causes issues with gaming consoles not setup properly and a couple other items. We have dozens of systems running double NAT with no issues.

Or you can configure the Nokia to bridge mode and turn off DHCP and WIFI.

Message 5 of 10
Parth_Goyal
Aspirant

Apologies If I ask something noob. But, if I'm not wrong NAT is Network Address Translation and dual NAT can cause conflict sometimes. To overcome that I intend to use the ISP provided router as a modem only by configuring it in Bridge mode. While Orbi router could be used as the primary router.

Am I right about it?

Message 6 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

Apologies If I ask something noob. But, if I'm not wrong NAT is Network Address Translation and dual NAT can cause conflict sometimes. To overcome that I intend to use the ISP provided router as a modem only by configuring it in Bridge mode. While Orbi router could be used as the primary router.

Am I right about it?

You are right and not right depending. There is some truth and untruth. It really depends on the setup and the purpose of the network. You will read the negatives of some that don't quite understand the entire use of double NAT, but you will also read about configurations where it works. 

Double Network Address Translation (Double NAT) does not affect Wi-Fi performance. But it can be an issue if you play online games or use port forwarding rules and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). However there are configuration work arounds for those situations.

We have scenarios where one network connection is coming into a building, and several separately configured networks are working off that one network with absolutely no issues. Some homeowners prefer having 2 different networks, where one feeds off the other creating a Double NAT. They'll run their gaming consoles, cameras, etc. off the primary, through the ISP modem/router and all their PCs, laptops, smart speakers, TVs, etc off their Orbi system. You can have multiple Orbi systems (router and satellites) running in the same building, off the ISP modem/router with no issues if configured properly.

But with all that said, the norm is either ISP router bridge mode, Orbi router mode or ISP router to Orni in AP mode.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of options,
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

IF the ISP modem has a DMZ, try option #2 with the modem and RBR. 

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Parth_Goyal wrote:

Ensure you don't buy US/North America versions  - these are locked to US FCC regulations (e.g. RBKxxx-100NAS, RBSxxx-100NAS). Devices intended to be sold e.g. in the European market (like RBKxxx-100EUS, RBS-100EUS) are worldwide AFAIK and should allow to be changed to your local wireless regulatory area.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements